Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

I commented on the budget thread, but I note that while the Tribune noted that the activists were there, it didn't give their comments any publicity.

From that, I assume the S-T is more in the sack with Rahm (or CTA) than the Trib.

(I am a Liberal Dem, but can't stand the man).

I don't know how you can come to that, unless it is to Rahm's advantage to have the activists expose themselves for what they are.

As I noted in the Muckrakers, the race and poverty crowd they support doesn't have a candidate. The best they supposedly had was Carol Moseley Braun, but she got only 9% of the vote. 2 other Black candidates pulled out because each was also polling 9%, but apparently she didn't get any of their votes.

The only position the S-T has is that it is owned and run by a bunch of local financiers on the cheap, as opposed to the Tribune, which is owned (but apparently not run) by banks that got it after bankruptcy. Also, the S-T has traditionally tried to appeal to a slightly lower social demographic. It seems to have better investigations, though.

Wonder how much and whose money is being spent adding the green and then yellow tags. The green tags didn't make any sense to me. At least the yellow ones with the logo and the card make a bit more sense.

To what green tags are you referring? All I see is the yellow tag Kevin referred to and the green "Go" screen telling the rider he's free to pass through the turnstile. Apparently these yellow tags are on rail station readers so far. I haven't seen any on buses as of yet.

Wonder how much and whose money is being spent adding the green and then yellow tags. The green tags didn't make any sense to me. At least the yellow ones with the logo and the card make a bit more sense.

To what green tags are you referring? All I see is the yellow tag Kevin referred to and the green "Go" screen telling the rider he's free to pass through the turnstile. Apparently these yellow tags are on rail station readers so far. I haven't seen any on buses as of yet.

Someone put green stickers on rail station readers to give a better indication of where to tap. I can't imagine this is a very expensive undertaking.

It was reported that green tags were being put over the logo, and Kevin's report is that they are now being replaced by the yellow ones.

I don't have Xray vision. Where on the actual Ventra card is the chip ?

Since I figured out where it is on my Chase card, so have less trouble with Biink transactions at my supermarket.

It appears (on mine anyway) to be just above the "tr" in Ventra on the front of the card (or conversely, just below the "Debit" hologram sticker on the back). There's a very slight bubble in the surface of the card there.

Got double charged this morning but that was because the high barrier gate at the Irving Park/Pulaski Blue Line locked after I got the Go message/enter light so I tapped again and got through.

It appears (on mine anyway) to be just above the "tr" in Ventra on the front of the card (or conversely, just below the "Debit" hologram sticker on the back). There's a very slight bubble in the surface of the card there.

Got double charged this morning but that was because the high barrier gate at the Irving Park/Pulaski Blue Line locked after I got the Go message/enter light so I tapped again and got through.

The chip is in exactly the same place on all Pay Wave cards and is easily visible as a bump on the card.

Now they are sending dead people ventra cards. Story was on NBC.

If it's about them mailing a card to a woman who died 5 years ago, it was also in the Tribune. But to be fair to them though they're not the first to mail something to someone who's deceased so we're kind of grasping at straws and piling on again with this one. Sometimes it does still take some time for the fact that that person is deceased to trickle out all the parties that did business with or provided some form of service for that person when they were alive. Transit authorities are no different. Even after the family properly takes care of that person's final affairs.some small detail gets missed when the family is communicating to relevant parties that the person is deceased. And yes the family does have to communicate in some way that the person is deceased, otherwise what we're basically saying is CTA and every other entity providing a service or product has to be in the business of constantly trolling death certificates.

If it's about them mailing a card to a woman who died 5 years ago, it was also in the Tribune. But to be fair to them though they're not the first to mail something to someone who's deceased so we're kind of grasping at straws and piling on again with this one....

I previously said that the headline was deceptive, and the article was only proof that the RTA has started to mail out the senior passes.

Just raked through my transit history for the rare occasions that I went pay as you go in between refilling my usual 7 day.... And I noticed that back in september on routes 79, 95E, 87 and 29 (i got on at 79th) my ventra charged me full price on most of those rides instead of my discount for the Red Line South. I wonder how many people got that problem?

• Upvote 1

Just raked through my transit history for the rare occasions that I went pay as you go in between refilling my usual 7 day.... And I noticed that back in september on routes 79, 95E, 87 and 29 (i got on at 79th) my ventra charged me full price on most of those rides instead of my discount for the Red Line South. I wonder how many people got that problem?

My understanding of the discount was that it applied to "cash" or transit cards with trips or boardings south of 63rd. Since I can't see your history, my question would be if there was a corresponding north-south ride to your east west rides? For instance, if you took 87th and it charged you a full fare, was your next ride (transfer) to a 29? If so, I would suppose that nothing else should've been deducted, hence your 50 cent discount. If that was not the case, then there definitely was a problem and you should contact CTA.

The squawk du jour (I saw on WGN, but the source is Crain's) is that Chase is complaining that Ventra is taking deductions off its Blink debit card, but those deductions are authorized only if a PIN is provided.

Update: I see it reported that Hinz retracted the post, and MarioM has the tweet below to that effect.

Moving Forward indicates that Pace will have some events where one can obtain a Ventra card for free, with $2 of transit value loaded on it, provided that the person provides identification and fills out a Pace supplied registration form. Also, transfer cards will be issued until July 1, and while mag stripe pass sales will be cut off by Nov. 18, they will still be accepted until July 1. The deadline for converting Student Haul Passes has been put off for a month.

The article also referred to more suburban outlets for Ventra cards than for Pace passes, but CTA media were generally accepted by Pace before, so that probably isn't a valid comparison.