Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

The employee passes were supposed to be the testing sample first, followed by the student/UPass groups. Those weren't "active" until the end of July (and technically the friendly test began a month and a half behind schedule).

I assume that the employee passes didn't involve having to pay for rides, and thus checking one's account to see if they were overcharged, getting a card in the mail, or having to transfer value. Maybe the test determined if the employees were smart enough to tap the correct spot. The student ones would have proved more, and the "negative balance" issue was reported with respect to them.

Posted

I assume that the employee passes didn't involve having to pay for rides, and thus checking one's account to see if they were overcharged, getting a card in the mail, or having to transfer value. Maybe the test determined if the employees were smart enough to tap the correct spot. The student ones would have proved more, and the "negative balance" issue was reported with respect to them.

Not precisely. Only on the grounds to make sure the machines actually accept the cards. Obviously different than the student pass.

Posted

Not precisely. Only on the grounds to make sure the machines actually accept the cards. Obviously different than the student pass.

I think that was my point (although maybe not so expressed). Only seeing if the machine accepted the employee pass only tested that, not any other functions of the system that don't seem to have been designed well.

Posted

Moving Forward du jour has, in addition to telling people to view videos on ventrachicago.com or using social media (which I am sure is not available to everyone), various complications requiring that unexpired Pace 10-Ride Plus Tickets and Commuter Club Cards be mailed in for transfer to Ventra, or better be spent down. This is independent of any joint CTA/Pace stored media, which won't be accepted. Going through the wringer includes not only registering the Ventra card, but filling out the web form, mailing it in and waiting 45 days for the transfer. So much for:

“We want customers to have a positive experience as we transi-tion to Ventra, and part of that includes easing the anxiety over what to do with passes that cannot be used before Pace and CTA fully transition to the Ventra system in mid-December,” said Pace Chairman of the Board Richard Kwasneski.

Posted

For whoever asked "how many people were really overcharged?" Hilkevitch now says that CTA and Pace are now trying to "get a handle on the problem."*

Apparently Tammy Chase is just getting around to the data mining that I said was going to result from the class action, anyway. Otherwise, her "trying to minimize" the problems doesn't seem to be working. Now as far as trying to "hold Cubic accountable," including for lost fares, let's see.

_________

*So, I was correct in saying "we have no basis to know."

Note also that the article says that CTA accused one user of a passback, which is exactly what I said the computer perceived.

Posted

One other thing that comes out of the article is that I guessed right that for some customers with the negative balance issue, those customers were giving themselves those balances inadvertently from tapping again on their own until they got the "Go" message or tapping again at an operators instruction because the operator also thought the card didn't read. Yes they botched their approach in getting problems resolved as I said several times. But a deliberate scam I don't see unless we want to say Pace is also in cohoots when it's been established the service boards don't collaborate on much of anything these days.

Posted

One other thing that comes out of the article is that I guessed right that for some customers with the negative balance issue, those customers were giving themselves those balances inadvertently from tapping again on their own until they got the "Go" message or tapping again at an operators instruction because the operator also thought the card didn't read. Yes they botched their approach in getting problems resolved as I said several times. But a deliberate scam I don't see unless we want to say Pace is also in cohoots when it's been established the service boards don't collaborate on much of anything these days.

I think multiple taps are to blame for a large segment of the duplicate charges. This stems from the lack of indication that your card has been read successfully but the system is processing your fare payment. I feel like on buses the yellow light above the screen illuminates during this stage, but not on the L but cannot confirm that beyond two bus rides I noticed. As is typical, when we don't get instant gratification from the reader, we endlessly tap until there is an answer. In addition to the processing indicator, they should shut off the sensor once there is a successful read until the "Tap Card" graphic returns.

Posted

One other thing that comes out of the article is that I guessed right that for some customers with the negative balance issue, those customers were giving themselves those balances inadvertently from tapping again on their own until they got the "Go" message or tapping again at an operators instruction because the operator also thought the card didn't read. Yes they botched their approach in getting problems resolved as I said several times. But a deliberate scam I don't see unless we want to say Pace is also in cohoots when it's been established the service boards don't collaborate on much of anything these days.

I've always wondered if the multitaps were the cause. When I tap my Ventra card, I wait until it tells me either to "Go" or it says "Stop". Sometimes this takes about 5 - 10 seconds, but I wait until I get either/or. If I get the "Stop", then I will tap again and wait until I either get the "Go" or the "Stop". The key word is WAIT. Multiple taps could assume more than one rider, even if you have a pass loaded onto the card. However, that should be fixable. I remember when I had a CC card and tapped it and the CTA operator (on the bus) asked me to tap it again. I did as asked. I took a second ride on another bus route, then when I got to the L for my third ride, that is when I noticed an extra fare was deducted from my card. At the first opportunity the next day, I went to CTA Headquarters to get that extra fare returned to me. The agent who helped me pulled up the history of rides and clearly saw that I paid two fares on the first ride, but only one transfer for the next two rides and he immediately put the fare back on the card. My point is that, between Ventra and CTA, this shouldn't be too hard to correct, unless of course there are multiple taps on multiple rides.

What I am most interested in is how Metra will fit into this? I am sure they are looking at this fiasco now and saying "I told you so!"

UPDATE: I checked the MietroTransit Website (Twin Cities) in regard to fare collection on the Northstar Commuter Line. It says:

BEFORE YOU BOARD THE TRAIN, touch your card to the Go-To circle on the reader on the rail station platform. Otherwise, you risk a $180 fine and/or removal from the train.

If you are boarding at Target Field, Go-To Card readers are

marked for the destination. If you are traveling to Big Lake from Target

Field, you are required to touch your card to the reader labeled "Big

Lake." Otherwise, you may be ticketed for fare evasion.

Initially, the display will show the current fare.

After you validate the card, the display will show the remaining balance and when the transfer expires, if applicable.

If you have special requests – such as paying for more than

one fare or selecting a different destination station – please use the

buttons and menu screen to the left of the Go-To circle prior to

touching the card to the reader.

Northstar_RSV.jpg

I'm guessing the A B, C, and D buttons are the fare zones. If Metra were to adopt something simiar to this with Ventra, the letters would go much highler. Then there is the issue of having these machines at every station and that passengers would have to tap their cards prior to boarding the train. This website says you have to have proof that you have paid your fare, but it doesn't make clear how you prove it. Does the conductor have a handheld device that can scan a card for payment history and balance? Does the machine print a ticket (not shown or mentioned anywhere) or receipt as proof of payment? If that is something Metra would be looking into, what if there were vending machines like Metra currently has, but with the option to pay for tickets or passes with Ventra and continue to use the current system, eliminating ticket agents and ticket by mail? I have a hard time imagining pretapping rides at a station like Rt 59 or Naperville during peak hours, or worse yet at Union Station or any downtown Metra station for that matter.

Posted

In more fun and games, the Sun-Times points out that CTA, not Cubic, is paying for the round of calls to CC and CCP registered holders who haven't registered Ventra cards.

Apparently they got it under some limit on which the CT Board members would have to vote on the contract, not that that makes any difference as far as the CT Board members are concerned. I bet that most condo boards are better run.

Posted

Actually on the GoTo readers on the Northstar Line in MN, the A, B, C, and D buttons are for different fare types (student, medicare, senior, etc). The readers automatically assume that you are going to Downtown. If you are going to another suburban station you have to make a selection on the GoTo reader to pay the suburb-to-suburb fare.

At the Downtown Station, there are multiple GoTo readers, preprogrammed for each of the suburban stations.

Posted

Am I crazy or is Metra going to be a really easy transition to Ventra? Just outfit conductors with handheld readers and boom. Transitioning from existing fare media would be simple too and they would avoid all of the CC/CCP transition headaches.

Posted

Am I crazy or is Metra going to be a really easy transition to Ventra? Just outfit conductors with handheld readers and boom. Transitioning from existing fare media would be simple too and they would avoid all of the CC/CCP transition headaches.

You don't want the answer to the first question.

As to the second, the Daily Herald reported:

• Pace and the CTA are forging ahead with a joint fare system dubbed Ventra but Metra has lagged behind. Right now, "we've got a team working with the CTA to accept Ventra cards at downtown terminals and point of sale terminals," he said. But Metra will also need an onboard system for conductors to accept passes and to issue tickets using passengers' credit or debit cards. For that, "Ventra may or may not be the way we go," Orseno said.

It was noted at the top of the thread that Metra got 2 ICE grants to study it.

So, at the moment the only plan is to accept Ventra (transit value?) to sell regular tickets. The other part hasn't been worked out yet.

Also, you should note Tcmetro's point above that one has to validate a GoTo card to the length of the ride, or you will be charged to the end of the line. We discussed the last time this system was proposed that having to use different validating machines for each Metra zone sure wouldn't get passengers out of the lobby at Chicago Union Station or Ogilvie Station.

Then one has to figure that Metra is the best commuter railroad of the 19th Century (and hence basically doesn't have fare media, but does have monthly ticket accounts) and had to be dragged to this point by the legislature.

And you thought that there were no problems with the CTA implementation, or are you like the Pace board not understanding why Metra didn't just jump over the cliff like Pace did?

Posted

You don't want the answer to the first question.

As to the second, the Daily Herald reported:

• Pace and the CTA are forging ahead with a joint fare system dubbed Ventra but Metra has lagged behind. Right now, "we've got a team working with the CTA to accept Ventra cards at downtown terminals and point of sale terminals," he said. But Metra will also need an onboard system for conductors to accept passes and to issue tickets using passengers' credit or debit cards. For that, "Ventra may or may not be the way we go," Orseno said.

It was noted at the top of the thread that Metra got 2 ICE grants to study it.

So, at the moment the only plan is to accept Ventra (transit value?) to sell regular tickets. The other part hasn't been worked out yet.

Also, you should note Tcmetro's point above that one has to validate a GoTo card to the length of the ride, or you will be charged to the end of the line. We discussed the last time this system was proposed that having to use different validating machines for each Metra zone sure wouldn't get passengers out of the lobby at Chicago Union Station or Ogilvie Station.

Then one has to figure that Metra is the best commuter railroad of the 19th Century (and hence basically doesn't have fare media, but does have monthly ticket accounts) and had to be dragged to this point by the legislature.

And you thought that there were no problems with the CTA implementation, or are you like the Pace board not understanding why Metra didn't just jump over the cliff like Pace did?

There's no need to get personal but clearly you don't follow my opinions. Ventra is fine and experiencing the bumps and bruises anything new does. The transition is a mess. Important to note they are two different things.

Sample bar napkin Metra implementation:

Conductor with handheld reader punches in start and end zone then rider taps card. Ventra checks for monthly pass, weekend pass, 10 ride pass, prepaid ticket and if it finds nothing, deducts transit value.

If you don't have transit value, you just tap your credit/debit card and pay the full fare (plus on board fee?).

Basically, the same as it is now but the reader calculates the fare required.

As an aside, I've never understood why Metra never put vending machines at stations, but they could put Ventra machines and save the on board payment fee just for cash on board.

Posted

...

Sample bar napkin Metra implementation:

...

As an aside, I've never understood why Metra never put vending machines at stations, but they could put Ventra machines and save the on board payment fee just for cash on board.

  • Not even Forrest Claypool or Tammy Chase follow your opinions. Reread this article.
  • If it is a simple implementation, why don't you appear before the Metra board and ask them to give you the two grants? And what is "bar napkin" supposed to mean?
  • Your second comment is false. The IC/Metra Electric had a turnstile/fare vending machine system since the 1970s. The passengers demanded that the turnstiles be taken out, but the vending machines are still there. As for the rest of the system, it is still being run like the traditional 19th century railroad. Ticket agents on the UP and BNSF lines are employees of those railroads.

Finally, if it is so simple, why are transit authorities such as MBTA and SEPTA, which have regional commuter rail operations, still studying it too, and saying that bus will precede rail?

Posted

  • Not even Forrest Claypool or Tammy Chase follow your opinions. Reread this article.
  • If it is a simple implementation, why don't you appear before the Metra board and ask them to give you the two grants? And what is "bar napkin" supposed to mean?
  • Your second comment is false. The IC/Metra electric had a turnstile/fare vending machine system since the 1970s. The passengers demanded that the turnstiles be taken out, but the vending machines are still there. As for the rest of the system, it is still being run like the traditional 19th century railroad. Ticket agents on the UP and BNSF lines are employees of those railroads.

Finally, if it is so simple, why are transit authorities such as MBTA and SEPTA, which have regional commuter rail operations, still studying it too?

That's a compliment, right? They can't follow a straight line...

Again, "some" users with no context. We've already come up with entirely reasonable explanations for that on here and for those that did not result from a double tap or another user error (as a result of a Ventra shortcoming or not), it's part of the teething that anything new has. If there are details in there, I'm not willing to pay for the Tribune just to see them.

A bar napkin implementation is something off the top of my head that is not thought out in any sort of detail.

Sorry, I meant ALL Metra stations.

Posted

...

A bar napkin implementation is something off the top of my head that is not thought out in any sort of detail.

...

Again, so much for jargon.

If that's the definition, consider the problems that Metra already has. Then if Metra couldn't figure out that people wouldn't buy 10 ride tickets for the price of 10 rides, consider what would happen if they turned over their admittedly archaic fare collection system to the mess described in Hilkevitch's column, just based on something off the top of your head.

You still haven't answered that if this is such a top of the head exercise, why SEPTA and MBTA are no further along (I added links since you quoted).

Posted

I moved it:

Actually on the GoTo readers on the Northstar Line in MN, the A, B, C, and D buttons are for different fare types (student, medicare, senior, etc). The readers automatically assume that you are going to Downtown. If you are going to another suburban station you have to make a selection on the GoTo reader to pay the suburb-to-suburb fare.

At the Downtown Station, there are multiple GoTo readers, preprogrammed for each of the suburban stations.

  • Are the GoTo cards proprietary or supposedly open, and do they use RFID?
  • The
    last time Northstar was mentioned, it was using magnetic stripe cards.
    The Metro pages indicate that those are still accepted on the bus (reference to stored value cards), but don't say on the train.

The reasons I ask is that the card may be analogous to the Chicago Card rather than the Ventra system.

Posted

Again, so much for jargon.

If that's the definition, consider the problems that Metra already has. Then if Metra couldn't figure out that people wouldn't buy 10 ride tickets for the price of 10 rides, consider what would happen if they turned over their admittedly archaic fare collection system to the mess described in Hilkevitch's column, just based on something off the top of your head.

You still haven't answered that if this is such a top of the head exercise, why SEPTA and MBTA are no further along (I added links since you quoted).

Can you PDF the Hilkevitch column? I'm not a Tribune subscriber.

Posted

One other thing that comes out of the article is that I guessed right that for some customers with the negative balance issue, those customers were giving themselves those balances inadvertently from tapping again on their own until they got the "Go" message or tapping again at an operators instruction because the operator also thought the card didn't read. Yes they botched their approach in getting problems resolved as I said several times. But a deliberate scam I don't see unless we want to say Pace is also in cohoots when it's been established the service boards don't collaborate on much of anything these days.

That may sound good for an explanation of why people are being overcharged, but the question is why is that happening? When customers used a transit card/pass in the past when they boarded and they used it again within about 10-12 minutes on the same route, they would be denied service or the farebox would reject the card. This is called a passback. Why then do these Ventra cards not have that? The night i was overcharged, I was given two stop notices before I got a go notice, so your explanation is valid. My card went from $4.75 to 25 cents in a space of two rides, but four swipes. But then the same explanation was proved invalid when I rode Pace that same trip hoping not to be charged $6 for three rides. The ventra card had 25 cents right, but I had to swipe four times to ride Pace. If your explanation was valid i should have been denied service but I got the go signal and was on my way. The card still has 25 cents on it to this day. That's why it's better to use passes with no card balance. Like yesterday I had to swipe 3 times on the #8, but it's a pass and it doesn't matter. Ventra is only good as a pass, but I'm only using that because there is no other choice.

Posted

That may sound good for an explanation of why people are being overcharged, but the question is why is that happening? When customers used a transit card/pass in the past when they boarded and they used it again within about 10-12 minutes on the same route, they would be denied service or the farebox would reject the card. This is called a passback. Why then do these Ventra cards not have that? The night i was overcharged, I was given two stop notices before I got a go notice, so your explanation is valid. My card went from $4.75 to 25 cents in a space of two rides, but four swipes. But then the same explanation was proved invalid when I rode Pace that same trip hoping not to be charged $6 for three rides. The ventra card had 25 cents right, but I had to swipe four times to ride Pace. If your explanation was valid i should have been denied service but I got the go signal and was on my way. The card still has 25 cents on it to this day. That's why it's better to use passes with no card balance. Like yesterday I had to swipe 3 times on the #8, but it's a pass and it doesn't matter. Ventra is only good as a pass, but I'm only using that because there is no other choice.

I think the why has a few answers. Obviously, the readers need to be modified slightly with some more feedback to discourage or disable second taps. That would go a very long way.

With regard to the passback issue, Ventra is not intended to work as previous media when you do a passback. From http://www.transitchicago.com/ventrabenefits/

New cards will have more robust “passback” features—up to seven people can share the same card and with Ventra, not everyone will need to start riding at the same place (you can meet up with someone on the way and pay for them with your card). You can even ask the driver or station attendant to let you pay a reduced fare for a qualifying rider travelling with you.

It seems to me that ironing out the logic with the "more robust" passback feature and refinements to the reader feedback would go a very long way to fixing this issue.

Posted

An operator was showing me how Ventra is set up on the bus for multiple users. You know how the screens are blue, right. When someone boards and wants to pay multiple fares, the operator presses a button on his control pad, that square box on the dash and the screen on the ventra reader turns green. Then it can be used for multiple rides. They have to switch it back to the blue screen for single riders.

Yes i agree. The system needs to be reprogrammed.

Posted

An operator was showing me how Ventra is set up on the bus for multiple users. You know how the screens are blue, right. When someone boards and wants to pay multiple fares, the operator presses a button on his control pad, that square box on the dash and the screen on the ventra reader turns green. Then it can be used for multiple rides. They have to switch it back to the blue screen for single riders.

Yes i agree. The system needs to be reprogrammed.

Interesting. This would obviously be difficult to implement at rail stations since the readers/turnstiles are not manned, but sounds like the right way to handle passbacks.

Was your experience on a bus or rail ride?

Posted

Interesting. This would obviously be difficult to implement at rail stations since the readers/turnstiles are not manned, but sounds like the right way to handle passbacks.

....

There is always a customer assistant.

Thus, the question is whether a passback should be programmatically assumed, or manually input.

Posted

There is always a customer assistant.

Thus, the question is whether a passback should be programmatically assumed, or manually input.

Yes but what about auxiliary entrances? And I fear the logistics of relying on the customer assistant for that could be a nightmare. I'd like to require as little involvement from the CA's as possible.

My suggestion: first rider taps and enters as normal. Second rider taps, the screen says something to the effect of "this card has been used recently, tap again to accept the additional fare charge". And the turnstile/gate disengages and charges upon second tap only.

Posted

Yes but what about auxiliary entrances? And I fear the logistics of relying on the customer assistant for that could be a nightmare. I'd like to require as little involvement from the CA's as possible.

My suggestion: first rider taps and enters as normal. Second rider taps, the screen says something to the effect of "this card has been used recently, tap again to accept the additional fare charge". And the turnstile/gate disengages and charges upon second tap only.

The second makes sense. In the case of the first, I suppose someone could pass back the card before going through the rotogate, but certainly not stick his arm between the tines.

Otherwise, the auxiliary entrances would be like the coin or IPass only tollway entrances--certain services provided by humans, such as change, are not available there; go to the next entrance.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...