Metra Observations

buslist

Two Metra observations (should be seperate topics?).

Noted 2 cars, one each on the BNSF and one on the UP West, with frames mounted between the upper and lower windows to the right of the doors. These look like the frames used to hold advertisements on buses. Is Metra planning on selling advert space on the cars?

Also the wife usually rides the UP West but last night we had buisness in Lisle so picked her up there. Observed her train arriving and was very surprised at the number of wheel defects that could be heard. There were 10-12 detectable flat spots on the train, hardly ever hear them on the UP side, Having been very active in the research that set the AAR comdeming level for flat wheels based on WILDs (Wheel Impact Load Detectors) some years ago the ears are sensitive to this aspect of things. Anyway are the BNSF's wheel maintenance practices that much poorer than UP's? Or did I just catch an anomoly?

Al

Noted 2 cars, one each on the BNSF and one on the UP West, with frames mounted between the upper and lower windows to the right of the doors. These look like the frames used to hold advertisements on buses. Is Metra planning on selling advert space on the cars?

There were reports of Metra selling wraps for cars. Metra's site has a page for advertising opportunities.

Also the wife usually rides the UP West but last night we had buisness in Lisle so picked her up there. Observed her train arriving and was very surprised at the number of wheel defects that could be heard. There were 10-12 detectable flat spots on the train, hardly ever hear them on the UP side, Having been very active in the research that set the AAR comdeming level for flat wheels based on WILDs (Wheel Impact Load Detectors) some years ago the ears are sensitive to this aspect of things. Anyway are the BNSF's wheel maintenance practices that much poorer than UP's? Or did I just catch an anomoly?

Al

If you mean that clickety clack knocking noise, it seems more prevalent on BNSF than on any other Metra line I've been on, deisel or electric. The surprise for me is that generally those cars that suffer most fall in the 7400 series or the 8400 series. I can't recall hearing those noises on the 7200s or the 700s. i have rarely heard it on the UP or Rock Island lines and I can't recall ever hearing it on the MD-W or ME or NICTD.

I never understood how BNSF could keep trotting out cars with this defect continually. Perhaps it is not easy to pull a car out from the middle of a 9 or 11 car consist, but I have heard this aggravating noise in the cab car before. In short, I agree with your assessment. I didn't know exactly what it was, so I thank you for the explanation. The problem seems to have gotten worse in recent years.

I never understood how BNSF could keep trotting out cars with this defect continually. Perhaps it is not easy to pull a car out from the middle of a 9 or 11 car consist, but I have heard this aggravating noise in the cab car before. In short, I agree with your assessment. I didn't know exactly what it was, so I thank you for the explanation. The problem seems to have gotten worse in recent years.

The issue seems to be that BNSF doesn't own the cars; they are either Metra or Metra having taken over the WSMTD equipment.

Admittedly it is a different Metra stop than the Western/Kedzie one for the UP and Milw, but unless the contract says that BNSF has the sole responsibility for maintaining Metra equipment, this should theoretically not be the difference.

Since there are reports that the SWS uses the same equipment and shops as the BNSF, are there similar problems there?

The issue seems to be that BNSF doesn't own the cars; they are either Metra or Metra having taken over the WSMTD equipment.

Admittedly it is a different Metra stop than the Western/Kedzie one for the UP and Milw, but unless the contract says that BNSF has the sole responsibility for maintaining Metra equipment, this should theoretically not be the difference.

Since there are reports that the SWS uses the same equipment and shops as the BNSF, are there similar problems there?

I've not noticed it.

• 3 weeks later...