NF #1000's, #800's, #900's Delivery (street) dates, Factory Dates, Lifetime Assignments (WIP)

BusHunter

Why would you think #1305 is not coming back? If #1482 is coming back anything is possible. i'd be more concerned if this happened post rehab.

I think the concern is location of 1305. If it was at 77th like 1482 was, then there wouldn't be concern... however it is reportedly parked with scrapped buses.

I think the concern is location of 1305. If it was at 77th like 1482 was, then there wouldn't be concern... however it is reportedly parked with scrapped buses.

Yes, but the contract to rehab was for 1,030 buses, unless they want to rehab a #5900. If CTA is going as far as issueing a seperate bid to fix #1482, I'm sure they would do the same for #1305. If the bus is going down to the frame anyway any damage to engines or mechanical parts is irrelevant. The problem with #1482, is if you take it down to the frame, it would still be in two seperate pieces. I wonder how there going to fix that bus anyway. Weld it together? LOL!! I wonder if it would just be smarter to use one of the #5900's chassis and use it for #1482. I don't understand how else #1482 would be road worthy and safe.

Yes, but the contract to rehab was for 1,030 buses, unless they want to rehab a #5900. If CTA is going as far as issueing a seperate bid to fix #1482, I'm sure they would do the same for #1305. If the bus is going down to the frame anyway any damage to engines or mechanical parts is irrelevant. The problem with #1482, is if you take it down to the frame, it would still be in two seperate pieces. I wonder how there going to fix that bus anyway. Weld it together? LOL!! I wonder if it would just be smarter to use one of the #5900's chassis and use it for #1482. I don't understand how else #1482 would be road worthy and safe.

Actually, they might be able to. the 5900's and 1000's are the same frame(D40LF's), and 5900 and 1482 are steel frames. They could possibly interchange the frames.

As long as we're on the subject of 1305, any idea what happened? I know something hit it or it hit something...

...LOL!! I wonder if it would just be smarter to use one of the #5900's chassis and use it for #1482. I don't understand how else #1482 would be road worthy and safe.

Aside from speculation whether they could be reused (the comparable 5800s only lasted the minimum time), I doubt that sitting in the yard for at least 15 years helped their condition; also one has to wonder whether one can build a diesel bus on a frame designed for a fuel cell one (given that CTA advertised to do that about 10 years ago and never did). And, as raised in connection with comparing the 2014 Novas to the 2000 ones, whether the frames are the same as on buses constructed 11 years later.

Of course, one wonders why those 3 buses have been sitting around the yard for 15 years.

As far as the numbers in the solicitations, maybe it is only an estimate, such as needing 261 rehab kits for 256-8 (depending on how you classify things) 3200s.

They could just use a new frame, but wouldn't that cost more than the bus is worth (totaled) I wonder what's the big deal in putting a 6 -7 year old totaled bus back on the road? If the bus is not going to be safe (with a shoddy repair, I hope not) )it's not worth the risk.

They could just use a new frame, but wouldn't that cost more than the bus is worth (totaled) I wonder what's the big deal in putting a 6 -7 year old totaled bus back on the road? If the bus is not going to be safe (with a shoddy repair, I hope not) )it's not worth the risk.

That gets back to the question why Pace 6173 was just cannibalized instead of fixed, and the whole question of cannibalization, on which I certainly am not the authority, but response then was that the bus with the bad frame was the candidate for cannibalism, as opposed to some other broken bus being the cannibal.

That gets back to the question why Pace 6173 was just cannibalized instead of fixed, and the whole question of cannibalization, on which I certainly am not the authority, but response then was that the bus with the bad frame was the candidate for cannibalism, as opposed to some other broken bus being the cannibal.

Looking out on the bus chassis marketplace, they should be able to get a bus chassis for around 100K. If the feds are paying for the cost of a mid life rehab then maybe they could repair it without it being deemed "totaled". But without some outside grant probably the bus wouldn't return. So now I'm wondering, is the #1482 bid for the complete rebuild of the bus, or just to a certain point to be in compliance with the 1,030 rehab?

On another point, there is a link here http://publictransport.about.com/od/Transit_Vehicles/a/How-Long-Do-Buses-And-Ohter-Transit-Vehicles-Last.htm

which states a bus built on a light truck chassis like the Optimas has a FTA service life of 7 years, so now we know why CTA is retiring these buses. They are 7 years old. So I wonder if the same is plausible for the Pace #2600's? (Those seem to be on a heavier frame though maybe not)

On another point, there is a link here http://publictransport.about.com/od/Transit_Vehicles/a/How-Long-Do-Buses-And-Ohter-Transit-Vehicles-Last.htm

which states a bus built on a light truck chassis like the Optimas has a FTA service life of 7 years, so now we know why CTA is retiring these buses. They are 7 years old. So I wonder if the same is plausible for the Pace #2600's? (Those seem to be on a heavier frame though maybe not)

That referred to "built on SUV or light truck chassis like the [Ford] E-350 or the E-450"--i.e. paratransits or ADA vans.

As noted earlier, the Altoona reports for the Opus and EZ Rider II are both for a 12 year 500,000 mile bus. Also, there is no indication that the EZ Rider II was a kit on a chassis, like the Opus was.

• 3 months later...

What is the status on the rehabs of the 1000-Series New Flyer D40LF's? I'm sure they must've started by now. Anyone see any buses that look/seem "like new" with LED lighting, rebuilt engine/transmission, etc...

Members, if the interior looks different like it might've been rehabbed, try to nonchalantly take interior/exterior photos(maybe keep flash off, so you don't get ejected from the bus) of any that catch your eye and post here to share with the forum.

• 5 months later...

Here are the dates the #1000 series buses hit the street (delivery dates) and on what route. Also I have included dates buses were sent from NF to CTA. Also I'm working on the lifetime assignments, but I'll share what I have so far. So let's start with the delivery dates. (street)

If the dates are correct, notice that 1329 entered service 10 MONTHS after those around it? Maybe this is the answer to the shell at South Shops??

Somewhere on the internet there is a picture of #5300 at Jeff Pk. This may have been the prototype or mechanical trainer as I believe there were news reports back in early 90's that said the prototype was going to all garages to gauge input. The same must be true with #500 as the prototype on here http://chicagobus.org/buses/500 is dated June 2006 and I have a #500 in service on 11/27/07 on the what's left for #500's/delivery dates in service dates/retirements thread

5300 (1st) did absolutely see passenger service! Rode it on 81-Lawrence. Most noticeable difference was that it had no lift. It was only in service a few days at most, "real" 5300's did not show for some time afterwards.