I-90 Phase 1

MetroShadow

Schedule Previews are out for 600, 606, 610, and 895. This is related to Phase 1 of the I-90 corridor project.

Some things to note:

• 600 will operate at the same 20 minute headways as they do now; except in both directions.
  • 606 doesn't see that much of a change; 25 minute headways throughout the midday (as opposed to 30), and an on-time performance update (because the buses often run early heading west anyway -- it's moot going eastbound because of construction on Golf).
  • 610 will have more trips, and considering the headways on this route, it is assumed that River will split this route (and this might be problematic considering they don't have 40 footers right now). Also shows that Sears Centre will have a park-ride, and the schedule (albeit tricky to read) reflects the same service to Prairie Stone and the Park/Ride.
  • 895 has the schedule coordinated with the 600 out of Rosemont.

Schedule Previews are out for 600, 606, 610, and 895. This is related to Phase 1 of the I-90 corridor project.

The thing that isn't obvious is that the 610 Park and Ride schedule is on the front, not the schedule preview.

One has to wonder how many more buses this is going to take, and whether the yet to be seen 6386-91 are involved.

The thing that isn't obvious is that the 610 Park and Ride schedule is on the front, not the schedule preview.

One has to wonder how many more buses this is going to take, and whether the yet to be seen 6386-91 are involved.

The two schedules are the same...although the routing can be tricky to read.

As for the amount of buses needed: There's 6 buses not accounted for (6386-91). 610 usually requires 40 footers. Unless River gets NABI's again (because the 6600's can't cut it), then we might see them come two weeks.

The two schedules are the same...although the routing can be tricky to read.

As for the amount of buses needed: There's 6 buses not accounted for (6386-91). 610 usually requires 40 footers. Unless River gets NABI's again (because the 6600's can't cut it), then we might see them come two weeks.

I was referring only to how the pdfs were presented in the notice.

And, as far as it goes, River never had 40 foot NABIs.* Unless there is still a surplus at West, I doubt that there is any source of them. Also, the front panel of the 610 schedule only says Pace Northwest.

_________

*Original allocation was something like 6626-6652 and 6661-6665, give or take a couple.

Good hunch, #6323 was training on the #606 just last week. I don't think they would need special training to operate the highway/express model. This is terrific news for the NW suburbs and anyone who wants to commute there. It's time is well overdue. In the coming months though I see the #606 being trimmed back a little, what would be interesting is to have the #600 serve Woodfield or at least have a stop on Woodfield road, riders could enter the mall through Sears. Regardless though the savvy riders among us will soon learn the Transit Center is only a 5-10 minute walk from Woodfield. The #600 I believe saves riders 20 minutes (20 minute commute time versus a 45 minute one on the #606) Interesting also, I wonder if the #610 with a Park N' Ride facility will pull riders away from the former NW transit center. Maybe not, Prairie Stone is so far from Chicago, riders via a car may be thinking Metra, but it might be more expensive.

As the project moves into further stages, I would expect another highway bus purchase whether it be MCI's or not.

The only other tweak I would try on the #600 is to run service midday, maybe on a hourly schedule and see if they can attract riders. They shouldn't need too many more buses overall though, alot of the #600's and #610's deadhead back and forth anyway.

Good hunch, #6323 was training on the #606 just last week. I don't think they would need special training to operate the highway/express model. This is terrific news for the NW suburbs and anyone who wants to commute there. It's time is well overdue. In the coming months though I see the #606 being trimmed back a little, what would be interesting is to have the #600 serve Woodfield or at least have a stop on Woodfield road, riders could enter the mall through Sears. Regardless though the savvy riders among us will soon learn the Transit Center is only a 5-10 minute walk from Woodfield. The #600 I believe saves riders 20 minutes (20 minute commute time versus a 45 minute one on the #606) Interesting also, I wonder if the #610 with a Park N' Ride facility will pull riders away from the former NW transit center. Maybe not, Prairie Stone is so far from Chicago, riders via a car may be thinking Metra, but it might be more expensive.

As the project moves into further stages, I would expect another highway bus purchase whether it be MCI's or not.

The only other tweak I would try on the #600 is to run service midday, maybe on a hourly schedule and see if they can attract riders. They shouldn't need too many more buses overall though, alot of the #600's and #610's deadhead back and forth anyway.

600 (as is with 895) is to get people between Schaumburg (Streets of Woodfield or the Corporate Center) to Rosemont. I doubt that the original intention was ever to serve the mall (nor is it logistic to pull that off).

I don't think that the NWTC would be affected since you have a market that uses 90 (from points beyond Hoffman) that'll get to Sears Centre. If anything, Schaumburg serves its own market (with people coming from south and/or along the MD-W--including myself at one time). There will be shifts, but NWTC will still be a viable park-ride lot (especially when Phase 2 comes up in 2016).

And although running the 600 midday would be a possibility, it depends on there would be a justification for that*. Just take the 606.

________

*Noted I believe a phase 2 objective.

Good hunch, #6323 was training on the #606 just last week. I don't think they would need special training to operate the highway/express model. ... In the coming months though I see the #606 being trimmed back a little, what would be interesting is to have the #600 serve Woodfield or at least have a stop on Woodfield road, riders could enter the mall through Sears...

6323 seemed to be a one day shot, as it went back to the same 270 trips (one physical sighting Thursday, WebWatch Fri. and Mon.*).

The intent of 600 seemed to be a commuter express/606 deadhead, and now it gets augmented with essentially a reverse commuter function to the Woodfield Corporate area. Obviously, the a.m. trips would have little relevance to the mall.

_______

*WebWatch is dead at the moment.

Update: It is back up and 6323 is again on 270.

6323 seemed to be a one day shot, as it went back to the same 270 trips (one physical sighting Thursday, WebWatch Fri. and Mon.*).

The intent of 600 seemed to be a commuter express/606 deadhead, and now it gets augmented with essentially a reverse commuter function to the Woodfield Corporate area. Obviously, the a.m. trips would have little relevance to the mall.

_______

*WebWatch is dead at the moment.

It might be relevant if NWTC parking overcrowds, there plenty of parking at the mall. Do you think this change will affect the #895 ridership?

It might be relevant if NWTC parking overcrowds, there plenty of parking at the mall. Do you think this change will affect the #895 ridership?

Depends what the function of 895 is perceived to be. Doesn't affect either coming from 95th nor the flex portion. Only affects if some thought that 895 was a substitute for 606 between Rosemont and NWTC.

Depends what the function of 895 is perceived to be. Doesn't affect either coming from 95th nor the flex portion. Only affects if some thought that 895 was a substitute for 606 between Rosemont and NWTC.

It probably will lose ridership on the I-90 portion, I don't know how strong the ridership is south of Rosemont, but those riders will be what sticks around. Now between Rosemont and NWTC you have double service with the #600 running bidirectionally..

My only complain is 606 should have had service added for Saturday and Sunday when the Woodfield Mall is open.

I don't see what the problem is here.It is running about every :40 or :45 on weekends on basically what was designed as a commuter route.

I don't know how the packs of 12 year old girls get to the mall, but I doubt that it is by bus.

I don't see what the problem is here.It is running about every :40 or :45 on weekends on basically what was designed as a commuter route.

I don't know how the packs of 12 year old girls get to the mall, but I doubt that it is by bus.

I think it should be a half hour.

if you want to compare Oakbrook Mall has a choice of 301,313,and 322.

When you have 208 and 606 for Woddfield.

You need to give people a choice or they can spend all day looking for a parking spot.

I think it should be a half hour.

if you want to compare Oakbrook Mall has a choice of 301,313,and 322.

When you have 208 and 606 for Woddfield.

You need to give people a choice or they can spend all day looking for a parking spot.

That's the sport in going to Woodfield.

If there were more demand, the passenger counters on the ITS would indicate it.

• Upvote 1

My only complain is 606 should have had service added for Saturday and Sunday when the Woodfield Mall is open.

You've always had service in and out of Woodfield -- it depended on how did you want to go there: Take the 209 (later, 208) or take the 606 (which added Sunday service about 10 years ago). And service from there has improved (90 minute headways to 30-45) over the course of the last 10 years.

I've seen, probably in the last 10 years (and this was when I frequented the mall as a 16 year old), that (regardless of an El Dorko or 40 footer) weekend service has been sufficient. Not enough to require more equipment, but service has always done the mall justice.

If you (or the teeny-boppers) want to suffer and drive to Woodfield, then vaya con dios.

• 2 weeks later...