Route 28 Brazier Drive

dp1

IMHO, there's no South Side of Chicago without "Stony Island". To me, the name itself is iconic, and highly known by many folks who live in that part of town, many who probably live near that busy corridor (from LSD & Cornell to the Bishop Ford Freeway (while I still call it the Calumet Expressway)). Although I'm not saying that Apostle Arthur Brazier shouldn't be honored, because he should be honored in some capacity, I don't think Stony Island should be one of those corridors to be renamed. To me, 63rd would've been a better street for obvious reasons. But many would still call it 63rd.

I mean, many South Siders know the names like Jeffery, Cottage Grove, Stony Island, South Chicago, Commercial, 63rd, 79th, 95th, etc. Many south siders loves familiarity. And not seeing Stony Island name would eliminate another iconic name in the city.

If this name change of major thoroughfare to be a political move for Rahm Emanuel to get more of black voters for his upcoming Mayoral re-election bid, I don't think I'll help all that much.

I think right now .That should be the lease of Emanuel .priority.

Update Apparently Emanuel thinks showing the Design of DePaul Basketball Arena is top Priority. :angry:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-depaul-arena-promo-20130920,0,7309101.story

• Upvote 1

I think right now .That should be the lease of Emanuel .priority.

Update Apparently Emanuel thinks showing the Design of DePaul Basketball Arena is top Priority. :angry:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-depaul-arena-promo-20130920,0,7309101.story

I think it looks nice but if DePaul can't or won't pay for the whole thing themselves don't put it on the taxpayers.

• Upvote 1

I think it looks nice but if DePaul can't or won't pay for the whole thing themselves don't put it on the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, those fighting Soldier Field provided the precedent for this. Just like Soldier Field isn't "all Bears," this is supposed to be part of McCormick Place, so it can't be challenged. The question will be how many conventions need an arena of this size.

Apparently this sort of stuff (and New Comiskey Park) come out of hotel taxes.

While i agree with everybody about DePaul.The point i was trying to make is getting the person who shot the 13 people and making sure it doesn't happen again should be top priority before anything else.

I doubt many conventions will need to new Mc Cornick Place arena, but I can see the Chicago Sky playing their WNBA games in there along with Depaul. The city is investing in this with the arena and the new Green Line station. There will be events there to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, those fighting Soldier Field provided the precedent for this. Just like Soldier Field isn't "all Bears," this is supposed to be part of McCormick Place, so it can't be challenged. The question will be how many conventions need an arena of this size.

Apparently this sort of stuff (and New Comiskey Park) come out of hotel taxes.

So is this their way of making this a little more palatable at having the city footing a good chunk of the bill by being able to say it's not local taxpayer money being used but the tourists' money since they're the ones along with traveling business people primarily paying the hotel taxes?

So is this their way of making this a little more palatable at having the city footing a good chunk of the bill by being able to say it's not local taxpayer money being used but the tourists' money since they're the ones along with traveling business people primarily paying the hotel taxes?

That's what they usually say. I think there was a stink a couple of years ago about whether McCormick Place would have to dip into state taxes during the recession.

But, since dp points out the Green Line station, there's probably some TIF money going into this, too, which brings up the whole question of whether TIF money is a slush fund, examined yesterday in the context of schools. Reader seems in point.

• 2 weeks later...

In the late 1960s, before the West-Northwest line was extended to Jefferson Park, most service was provided by 6000-series consists. On weekdays, an air-conditioned 2000-series consist might be seen on the Douglas branch, but still, it was mostly 6000s on Douglas.

When you went down to weekend service levels, then you had the possibility of a 2000-series running on either branch. Such that a 2000-series consist would run the Congress branch.

I had better halt at this point, because I am a threat to hijack this thread. Please excuse me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun-Times reports that Ald. Beale is pouring cold water on this.

But as Streetwise Chicago notes, Crawford Ave. wasn't able to hold out forever on that basis.

The article also points out that the parishioners at Brazier's church, which he passed along to his son, don't even want this. So Emanuel for once needs to put his ego in check and leave well enough alone.

• Upvote 3