2014 Budget

MetroShadow

Seen Here

The reprieve for CTA riders follows fare hikes on all passes this year, a new $5 fare for Blue Line trips originating at O'Hare International Airport and a service restructuring in late 2012 that eliminated about a dozen bus routes and reduced other service with low ridership, while also increasing rail service during peak travel periods.

The CTA is also working to erase a $10.1 million budget deficit in 2013. Officials say this year's budget will be balanced by December.

The proposed 2014 budget contains no major surprises or course changes. It continues a $4 billion capital-improvement plan to rehab rail stations, purchase new rail cars and buses and work toward bringing the transit agency’s aged infrastructure into a state of good repair, officials said.

Saw it there, too, and at that time it wasn't on the website, but is now..*

In that the budgets weren't two months late like the CTA one was last year, it must have been like the 3 service boards knew there was not that much money involved over Emanuel's blocking action.

And cracking it open, there are frequent mentions of "the mayor's leadership," which shows that the President doesn't understand the governance problem. And, of course, the second page repeats the bogus statistic about rides vs. funding. They never learn.

____

*See below; link superseded.

An interesting twist is that on page 37 (43 of the pdf) there is a proposal to allow returning to the rail system within an hour for the price of a transfer. Apparently the 2 transfers in 2 hours applied only if a bus trip was involved.

Also better explained here (page 69/77 of the pdf) is the distinction between Illinois Jobs Now and Illinois Jump Start. Apparently Illinois Jump Start was the original authorization in 2009, that lapsed due to the Wirtz litigation over the liquor taxes used to fund it, and Illinois Jobs Now was the subsequent appropriation bill (an appropriation bill only being effective for a given session of the General Assembly). Both CTA and Pace indicate that they were told they would get Illinois Jump Start money, but that can't be reauthorized unless the state can sell the bonds. However, due to the state's bad credit rating, apparently it can't at the moment. On the Pace side, that would leave the question whether the state money it projected for the CNG buses really is there.

Another surprise (page 73/81 of the pdf) is CMAQ funds to convert 32 diesel artics to hybrid.

Finally, page 79(87) states that as a result of delivery of 5000s, there will be a fleet increase of 60 cars, which is consistent with the fleet increase we already have at Midway.

An interesting twist is that on page 37 (43 of the pdf) there is a proposal to allow returning to the rail system within an hour for the price of a transfer. Apparently the 2 transfers in 2 hours applied only if a bus trip was involved.

Also better explained here (page 69/77 of the pdf) is the distinction between Illinois Jobs Now and Illinois Jump Start. Apparently Illinois Jump Start was the original authorization in 2009, that lapsed due to the Wirtz litigation over the liquor taxes used to fund it, and Illinois Jobs Now was the subsequent appropriation bill (an appropriation bill only being effective for a given session of the General Assembly). Both CTA and Pace indicate that they were told they would get Illinois Jump Start money, but that can't be reauthorized unless the state can sell the bonds. However, due to the state's bad credit rating, apparently it can't at the moment. On the Pace side, that would leave the question whether the state money it projected for the CNG buses really is there.

Another surprise (page 73/81 of the pdf) is CMAQ funds to convert 32 diesel artics to hybrid.

Finally, page 79(87) states that as a result of delivery of 5000s, there will be a fleet increase of 60 cars, which is consistent with the fleet increase we already have at Midway.

The one thing i found interesting is only 130 new buses.Which means the Novas will be around a little longer.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/18/no-fare-hikes-service-cuts-on-cta-in-2014/

The one thing i found interesting is only 130 new buses.Which means the Novas will be around a little longer.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/18/no-fare-hikes-service-cuts-on-cta-in-2014/

That seems to be a misstatement, unless some of the 300 on order are later than 2014, since the budget consistently refers to 300, which was the base order. The budget says "The CTA also took delivery in 2013 of 100 60-foot long articulated buses to provide shuttle service during the Red Line South project before being put into regular service. To these buses will be added at least another 300 new buses beginning in 2015 thanks to a contract negotiated and signed in 2013." But maybe to show that this wasn't proofread, it later says "In early 2013, the CTA put into revenue service the last of 100 new 60-foot articulated buses, simultaneously awarding a $148 million contract to Nova Bus for the manufacture of at least 300 hybrid 40-foot buses, which will replace an existing fleet of decade-old buses in 2014." Not to mention that the 40 foot buses are not hybrids.

Of course, while I saved the copy of the budget I downloaded, the link above went bad and is not on the Finance and Budget page at the moment. Note the blank spot where it was, and that the 2013 budget is under Past Budget Recommendations.

post-14-0-17539200-1382123229_thumb.jpg

I guess whoever said to save the screen shots had a point.

Note also that this budget is the first time they officially said that the 100 buses were for the Red Line, not just a coincidence.

I try using firefox to download the 190 pages and its moving slower then a slow zone.

You must have a slow connection. I get 25 megabits/sec. via cable, use Waterfox, and it took about 3 seconds. Download manager says 11.4 mB, which isn't that big. Unlike the 31st St. Board Presentation, this doesn't seem to have any condensed satellite maps or the like, and, as usual, is mostly black and white, although there are a couple of color images in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading that they want to receive the 300 Novas and they have plans in 2014 to order 150 more (it sounds like Nova 40 footers) then they want to order 50 artics. They also want to rehab 100 #2600's to go with the #3200's, but it seems to be mechanical in nature "a life extending overhaul" it's called. If by then they don't have a firm order for #7000's I would just put the digital destination signs in the 100 cars. Then in the long range plan they want to make Medical Center/blue line and Quincy/Wells ADA accessible with elevators. The Congress line rehab just sounds like tracks and not stations. 28 percent of the Congress is slow zones resulting in a seven minute longer commute.

So in thinking what Busjack said about 60 extra railcars, that would mean about 260 cars would remain of the #2600's. If they rehab 100 cars either they anticipate the other 160 are not being used or being extras or 160 #7000's could possibly be around by then.

I was reading that they want to receive the 300 Novas and they have plans in 2014 to order 150 more (it sounds like Nova 40 footers) then they want to order 50 artics. They also want to rehab 100 #2600's to go with the #3200's, but it seems to be mechanical in nature "a life extending overhaul" it's called. If by then they don't have a firm order for #7000's I would just put the digital destination signs in the 100 cars. Then in the long range plan they want to make Medical Center/blue line and Quincy/Wells ADA accessible with elevators. The Congress line rehab just sounds like tracks and not stations. 28 percent of the Congress is slow zones resulting in a seven minute longer commute.

So in thinking what Busjack said about 60 extra railcars, that would mean about 260 cars would remain of the #2600's. If they rehab 100 cars either they anticipate the other 160 are not being used or being extras or 160 #7000's could possibly be around by then.

What's the timeline on the rail side of things though? They may put money towards it in next year's budget but I'm not so sure we're going to see 7000s next year given the timeline of testing and what not that we might have seen with the 5000s had there not been the delays because of the construction flaws and connected quality control issues that came about.

What's the timeline on the rail side of things though? They may put money towards it in next year's budget but I'm not so sure we're going to see 7000s next year given the timeline of testing and what not that we might have seen with the 5000s had there not been the delays because of the construction flaws and connected quality control issues that came about.

They are saying the last of the #5000 deliveries is in the end of 2015. The #7000's start coming in 2016. The #3200 rehabs start in 2014-15 and will be completed by 2016. I'm reading from the long range budget 2015-17. They usually announce what they are planning about 4 years in advance just as a guide. Nothing's written in stone of course.

They are saying the last of the #5000 deliveries is in the end of 2015. The #7000's start coming in 2016. The #3200 rehabs start in 2014-15 and will be completed by 2016. I'm reading from the long range budget 2015-17. They usually announce what they are planning about 4 years in advance just as a guide. Nothing's written in stone of course.

On the last point, the RTA Act (sec. 4.01) requires a 5 year plan. Doesn't mean anyone will stick to it.

As far as rehabs to 2600s. it was previously established that that would be only for about 100 of them.

Unfortunately, all of this was interior street theater, as we documented last year this time that the members of the CT Board have profound hearing or comprehension deficits. Especially note the Citizens Taking Action point at the end. If they hadn't figured that out before this, they aren't that sharp.

The Chicago Muckrakers must have also been there, between the one comment that fares should be race based (95th St. is 12 miles from downtown, Lincoln Park is 3) and the rant that Cubic also has a defense contractor arm, like most companies (including Bombardier) don't.

I don't what is worse, an ineffective CT Board or activist clowns appearing before it.

At least the CT Board passed a budget on time this year, instead of using the excuse that Emanuel's people blocked passage of the RTA funding marks. Remember, last year the "President's Recommendations" were a month late and assumed that the RTA would rubber stamp them in one day.

Getting back to the budget point, the CTA Press Release said, "The Chicago Civic Federation on Tuesday gave its support to the proposed budget, noting the CTA’s significant efforts to stabilize its operating budget and manage costs."

No mention of all the other points the Civic Federation made in the S-T article.

I guess it never pays to throw the CTA a bone; the PR department will take it out of context.

When I posted this on the CTA Tattler, Kevin O'Neil asked "what pdf," and the budget now on the CTA website is not the same as what was previously posted, and this passage is no longer in it.

I downloaded the budget book when it was first announced as being available, if someone wants proof.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to comparison read the two.