Oops! MTA bus falls off Hydralic Lift Accident

Vehicles fall off hoists all the time. It's usually someone doing something stupid: not positioning the vehicle correctly, not operating the lift properly, failing to allow for change in center of gravity when the engine is removed, stupid things like that. But it's possible for a vehicle to fail (frame breaks, either due to corrosion or a defect in manufacture), and it's possible for the lift to fail.

Hilkevitch had an article in his column dated July 12, 2012 in which he stated Forrest Claypool did say a bus fell off a deteriorated lift. But he didn't say where. I guess CTA had it after that and fixed the lifts. I don't think this is happening as frequently as brownliner indicates. I only see the two MTA incidents mentioned the cta one and an OC transport one. Like OC transport says, buses falling off lifts become a huge liability if one were to fall on someone. I doubt transportation companies would like to continually take that risk.

Hilkevitch had an article in his column dated July 12, 2012 in which he stated Forrest Claypool did say a bus fell off a deteriorated lift. But he didn't say where....

I had posted that this was said in connection with the CTA hoist project, but couldn't find where, so I deleted it.

I had posted that this was said in connection with the CTA hoist project, but couldn't find where, so I deleted it.

You said it might or might not have happened like you didn't know. So I'm just stating it did happen probably at one of the older facilities. Now which was the first garage to get new hoists. Wasn't it FG?

You said it might or might not have happened like you didn't know. So I'm just stating it did happen probably at one of the older facilities. Now which was the first garage to get new hoists. Wasn't it FG?

All I can go by is that I had remembered the article you found. Maybe someone in a garage can say one way or the other.

Clearly the justification for FG wasn't 60 foot buses, but maybe that it had not been touched since 1958 or so.

All I can go by is that I had remembered the article you found. Maybe someone in a garage can say one way or the other. Clearly the justification for FG wasn't 60 foot buses, but maybe that it had not been touched since 1958 or so.

Maybe but if you had a bus falling off a hoist at a certain location wouldn't you then make repairs there the first priority. CTA said it fell off due to age. So right away that excludes Chicago, 103rd, 74th and kedzie because they are fairly newer facilities not more than 30 years old. Np wasn't high up on the repair list. So my guess would be it either happened at fg or south shops, and with south shops being heavy maintenance it probably is using it's lifts more often. I hate to say it but those probably were original lifts from the 50's.