Building NYC's R160 Railcar Documentary

I found a somewhat interesting documentary on the building of NYC's R160 subway cars from Alstom on the natgeo network. . It's actually quite interesting. It goes through the shell building and constructing phase and assembly at the Alstom plants and shows all procedures done to deliver a new rapid transit car to a rapid transit provider. Something of interest, they have a dead man's control in the motorcab that turns positions and automatically brakes if someone is not controlling it, like if they are sleeping or unresponsive. Now that's something CTA could use. While the documentary doesn't take place at Bombardier, I think you'll find many similarities in the building process of a #5000 series here. It goes really in depth with the motors and trucks and I found myself learning a few things. enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEzHjI6m10

• Upvote 4

Your 5000's sound a lot like the R160's.

Main difference in the first couple of minutes (I did not sit through the whole hour) is the mention of Brazilian car bodies. The only time CTA did that was the 3200s. The Bombardier videos show that the bodies for the 5000s are fabricated by Bombardier in Plattsburgh.

• 4 weeks later...

Great find........thanks!

I found a somewhat interesting documentary on the building of NYC's R160 subway cars from Alstom on the natgeo network. . It's actually quite interesting. It goes through the shell building and constructing phase and assembly at the Alstom plants and shows all procedures done to deliver a new rapid transit car to a rapid transit provider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEzHjI6m10

Sorry, but that's in error.......The CTA 2400 series by Boeing-Vertol used car bodies made in Portugal. There are photos in the CERA 115 II showing them being unloaded from a ship.

Also, I think I read that the bodies used for the 6201- 6720 and the 1- 50 were made another offshore supplier and sent to the St. Louis Car Company. I haven't found evidence for this, however.

Main difference in the first couple of minutes (I did not sit through the whole hour) is the mention of Brazilian car bodies. The only time CTA did that was the 3200s. The Bombardier videos show that the bodies for the 5000s are fabricated by Bombardier in Plattsburgh.

• 3 weeks later...

Great find........thanks!

Sorry, but that's in error.......The CTA 2400 series by Boeing-Vertol used car bodies made in Portugal. There are photos in the CERA 115 II showing them being unloaded from a ship.

Also, I think I read that the bodies used for the 6201- 6720 and the 1- 50 were made another offshore supplier and sent to the St. Louis Car Company. I haven't found evidence for this, however.

The CTA 2400 shells were from Sorefame.