A Scene That Purple Line Passengers Don't See

chicagopcclcar

P1020171.jpg

P1020173.jpg

This is a view that CTA passengers don't get to see......this is the turnaround at Wilmette terminal at the end of the Purple line, housed in its own building. The building was designed to protect Wilmette residents from the "L" squealing around the curve. Of course the residents hired engineers to make studies to make sure that there was no electromagnetic fields. This view is from a CTA charter.

• Upvote 3

P1020171.jpg

P1020173.jpg

This is a view that CTA passengers don't get to see......this is the turnaround at Wilmette terminal at the end of the Purple line, housed in its own building. The building was designed to protect Wilmette residents from the "L" squealing around the curve. Of course the residents hired engineers to make studies to make sure that there was no electromagnetic fields. This view is from a CTA charter.

Well I already know about the turnaround but these are some good shots!

P1020171.jpg

P1020173.jpg

Is there anything the residents of Evanston and Wilmette don't whine about??? Just plain ridiculous!!!

I will put a explanation .. Give me a day or so.

59thDerailment2jpg_2.jpg

1970612_10152858688287080_341511949_n.jp

North Section Run Derailment At 59th JCT
I have been told that there's some interest in this derailment. This happened at 59th St. Jct. Note the three flat apartments on the right, 59--, --, -- S. Prairie. I lived on the second flat, on the first floor. The crash awoke me up. I immediately went back to sleep.

Next morning, hearing all this commotion in the alley, I found the "L" car braced on top of the steel beam across the alley with bricks everywhere. The first car had left the tracks, but sideswiped the second floor of a building next to the "L" curve. That saved the "L" car from going down to the ground. The steel beam between the Englewood and the Jackson Park then kept the "L" car from falling to the alley. The second car came disconnected and stayed on the tracks.

In those days, they didn't string yellow tape. You could walk around and inspect. I don't remember the date when this happened. (May, 1960) I remember you could be a CTA motorman at 18. It was different in the buses....state laws. The CTA after this accident, changed the age to 20.

Fast forward.....fast forward. On this particular day I had a midnight out of Howard. I never met my conductor which wasn't out of the ordinary, bell rang, doors closed and the conductor gave me two buzzes. At the end of the line we met, and exchanged names. Some where in the train room he remarked, Do you know what happened on this run. No, I answered. He explained that this was his first back to work and when he had had this run before, he left State St. and woke up in the hospital. I remembered the crash and I tried to console him..... Trust me,..... I promise to do better at 59th St. We laughed.

<p>P1110117.jpg</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
59th JCT Green Line.

• Upvote 3

I will put a explanation .. Give me a day or so.

59thDerailment2jpg_2.jpg

1970612_10152858688287080_341511949_n.jp

North Section Run Derailment At 59th JCT

I have been told that there's some interest in this derailment. This happened at 59th St. Jct. Note the three flat apartments on the right, 59--, --, -- S. Prairie. I lived on the second flat, on the first floor. The crash awoke me up. I immediately went back to sleep.

Next morning, hearing all this commotion in the alley, I found the "L" car braced on top of the steel beam across the alley with bricks everywhere. The first car had left the tracks, but sideswiped the second floor of a building next to the "L" curve. That saved the "L" car from going down to the ground. The steel beam between the Englewood and the Jackson Park then kept the "L" car from falling to the alley. The second car came disconnected and stayed on the tracks.

In those days, they didn't string yellow tape. You could walk around and inspect. I don't remember the date when this happened. (May, 1960) I remember you could be a CTA motorman at 18. It was different in the buses....state laws. The CTA after this accident, changed the age to 20.

Fast forward.....fast forward. On this particular day I had a midnight out of Howard. I never met my conductor which wasn't out of the ordinary, bell rang, doors closed and the conductor gave me two buzzes. At the end of the line we met, and exchanged names. Some where in the train room he remarked, Do you know what happened on this run. No, I answered. He explained that this was his first back to work and when he had had this run before, he left State St. and woke up in the hospital. I remembered the crash and I tried to console him..... Trust me,..... I promise to do better at 59th St. We laughed.

<p>P1110117.jpg</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

59th JCT Green Line.

Thanks for the info. I would have fallen back asleep too after the crash!

I couldn't tell if you were asking me directly about where I was earlier in this thread, but for future reference, I do not live in the area of the 59th junction incidents. :ph34r: