Bus Specifications/Descriptions

garmon757

Does this list help explain why the first generation Novas make a distinct engine sound? I don't see any other buses that use the Cummins ISC.

Within the CTA fleet, that's correct (although, NJ Transit spec'd out their 1994 Flxibles and both of their batches of Nova RTS with an ISC engine).

Does anyone have a feeling for what importance CTA assigns to bus specs such as seating capacity?

<rant>

I find it weird (if not stupid) that the 7900s were purchased with fewer seats than the 1000s.

I don't feel the 7900s are roomier either.

It seems the riders are being mistreated again.

<end of rant>

The standard bus procurement guidelines say as many seats as possible and no backward facing seats unless approved by the TA.

Novas have the issue of the shorter wheelbase, to get the nose within 40 feet.

If you really want to rant, how about the longitudinal seats in the last 1000s and the 4150s? CTA actually made a choice in that regard.

The standard bus procurement guidelines say as many seats as possible and no backward facing seats unless approved by the TA.

Novas have the issue of the shorter wheelbase, to get the nose within 40 feet.

If you really want to rant, how about the longitudinal seats in the last 1000s and the 4150s? CTA actually made a choice in that regard.

Now that you mention it, I am not too crazy about those longitudinal seats either. :(

The point you make about the wheelbase on the Novas explains much of what I perceive as a problem with them.

Now that you mention it, I am not too crazy about those longitudinal seats either. :(

The point you make about the wheelbase on the Novas explains much of what I perceive as a problem with them.

It took some digging on the various sites to find that one. For instance a 40 foot Xcelsior is actually 41 feet. Most 60 foot buses are actually 62, all because of the bigger noses (Xcelsior 60'-10")..

The wheelbase on a Nova 40 foot bus is 244" and an Xcelsior is 283"