London Tube

IMG_4064.movJust got back from a vacation in London.  The streets are crazy and confusing as is their Tube.  It snakes around the underground so much it make you dizzy!  Here is a video from one of the new trains which consists of at least 8 articulated and open cars.  The older trains are pretty much one car attached to another with a door in between.  I took this video as you can really see far throughout the train.  Very cool.  When I e mailed the video to myself so I could post, it open up sideways.  I can't figure out how to rotate it, but maybe one of you has an idea.  It plays perfectly fine on my IPhone.  Just turn your head sideways!

IMG_4064.mov

IMG_4064.movJust got back from a vacation in London.  The streets are crazy and confusing as is their Tube.  It snakes around the underground so much it make you dizzy!  Here is a video from one of the new trains which consists of at least 8 articulated and open cars.  The older trains are pretty much one car attached to another with a door in between.  I took this video as you can really see far throughout the train.  Very cool.  When I e mailed the video to myself so I could post, it open up sideways.  I can't figure out how to rotate it, but maybe one of you has an idea.  It plays perfectly fine on my IPhone.  Just turn your head sideways!

IMG_4064.mov

​It opens up in the right direction on my computer, but the only problem is that I download the actual file instead of watching the video in my browser.

The newer train in the video is the S Stock, which will be used on the network of the sub-surface lines when delivery is complete. They look nice.

• Upvote 2

• 7 years later...

This week, Nova had a program on London Super Tunnel, which was interesting on what can be done technologically if there is enough time and money. The project, known as CrossRail, is a high speed crosstown subway, Aside from using a boring machine and the big digs for the stations, the surprising things were:

• To cut vibrations in a concert hall, the track bed has springs under it.
  • The new cars were assembled by the Derby Works, but further research indicates that it was Bombadier, now Alstom.
  • To make a 24 train per hour (a train every five minutes, I suppose) schedule, some trains have to reverse at a crossover, but (not having a middle track) there is an automated system that runs the train while the operator walks to other other cab. (Remember the WMATA crash?)
  • The station platforms have glass sliding doors. But in testing before opening the line, it was discovered that after an auto-reverse, the train doors would not line up with the platform doors. Nonetheless, everything was fixed for Queen Elizabeth to open the line.