Metra conductor job

MRChiCity

1 hour ago, MRChiCity said:

How accurate is this article about what a Metra Conductor actuality does?  http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150705/news/150709524/  Thanks

Train 2115 is an outbound, so he's not taking it out of the Fox Lake yard. I know what they mean though, the same equipment makes multiple trips.

I didn't see any obvious inaccuracies with the job description, but since I'm not a conductor, some of the details may not have caught my attention. Trainman might be able to tell you more.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 9:41 PM, MRChiCity said:

How accurate is this article about what a Metra Conductor actuality does?  http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150705/news/150709524/  Thanks

Accurate enough. Don Kiesgen is a good guy, straight arrow. This was actually a well done article. The bottom line is that there is a lot more to it than collecting fares and punching tickets and that was brought out.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Daily Herald has a similar article on the life of a car cleaner and other yard personnel.

Interesting article about a less visible aspect of Metra operations. I bet a train yard is a creepy place to be at night, which might be the real reason they carry golf clubs for the brake test.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Man, all the ways of people evading fare is never not funny. The one dude riding on and not in the train, he should be arrested, or at least heavily fined.

The stupidest attempt at Metra fare evasion I have seen was a guy who tried to use a weekend pass on Tuesday by trying to make the conductor believe it was actually Saturday.

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The stupidest attempt at Metra fare evasion I have seen was a guy who tried to use a weekend pass on Tuesday by trying to make the conductor believe it was actually Saturday.

Here on the MARC train, the trains are so rush oriented that you can potentially pay less for a ticket by buying a ticket for a stop before yours (Like buying A-C, when your trip is actually A-F).Once the train leaves WAS, the conductors only do two rounds of checks and that's it. One dude messed up by doing this and then forgetting the stop he intended to get off at. He asked the conductor, who remembered his ticket destination. Dude, for whatever reason, did not simply explain that he messed up, and conductor saw through the story, collected the info and presumably fined him.