Whoops!! Top Sheared Off SLO Double Decker Bus

BusHunter

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Today I got to check out a Megabus TD Double decker.   Praying that i NEVER have to take Megabus anywhere.   No one taller than 5'9" should even consider riding these buses.   Nothing against Megabus,  but those TD models are not comfortable on either level.   

I might have posted this before, but my dad told me that his kid brother was riding one of the old CMC open top double-deckers back in the 1930s & got knocked out while going under the L.

He had three kids & lived to be 86, so I guess there wasn't any lasting harm.

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

(If I can talk like an englishman)

The Coach USA page says:

"Coach USA is a subsidiary of the Stagecoach Group. Stagecoach is one of the world's largest bus, coach and rail groups with operations in the United Kingdom and North America. Please feel free to visit the Stagecoach Group Website for more information. Stagecoach Group plc. Registered Office: 10 Dunkeld Road, Perth PH1 5TW, Scotland."

So you may be onto something.

London, of course, is the best known operator of double decker buses.

Back many years ago, in 1970's, CTA was thinking of getting some double deckers along with the first artics (7000-7019). A Neoplan from SCRTD (LA) made a stopover at South Shops on delivery for CTA bigwigs to look over. They decided they wanted to go over to 95th for a few photos. En route back, discovered that there was a problem with the bridge at State/91st - namely bus too tall. Didn't take long for powers that be to realize this would be a problem in many, many places. So idea of DD's was quickly dropped.

Megabus and other doubledeck operators have very specific routings that drivers have to take going to and from garage. Back in 1940's, CMC had to route double-deckers to the shop from downtown via Jackson, Pulaski, Wrightwood, Keeler as Diversey bridge at 1800 W was too low.

9 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Back many years ago, in 1970's, CTA was thinking of getting some double deckers along with the first artics (7000-7019). A Neoplan from SCRTD (LA) made a stopover at South Shops on delivery for CTA bigwigs to look over. They decided they wanted to go over to 95th for a few photos. En route back, discovered that there was a problem with the bridge at State/91st - namely bus too tall. Didn't take long for powers that be to realize this would be a problem in many, many places. So idea of DD's was quickly dropped.

Megabus and other doubledeck operators have very specific routings that drivers have to take going to and from garage. Back in 1940's, CMC had to route double-deckers to the shop from downtown via Jackson, Pulaski, Wrightwood, Keeler as Diversey bridge at 1800 W was too low.

Over the years, I've seen several wrecked trucks around 1800 Diversey that tried but failed to get under it.