I can't believe it CTA repurchases #6101-02!!

BusHunter

You know the only thing that is kind of screwed up here, that I was talking to some people about, is the #6000's can't be paired to any other equipment, so they'll be stuck as a two car set. While I'm happy there back, they can't run in any major service like a trip on the Red line or Brown. They would be stuck as a loop shuttle or a Yellow line shuttle. Really they need 4 cars or even 6 to make this truely awesome. Good news is there are alot of #6000's in museums across the US. You know how #4271-72 always seems crowded and doesn't run only as a shuttle. It has the same problem. Really it could use a few cars too. I understand the museums don't want to sell all there cars because then there is no draw. What I would do is try to lease equipment, this way both parties are happy and you have the opportunity to rotate museum pieces in and out. Doing repairs that could only be done by CTA, (Skokie shops has alot of rail work equipment) gives the cars the added strength and security to bring them back. A museum doesn't have the resources to do that. Maybe CTA could get a discount if they went into the restore business. (Just talking lite restorations but you don't know how far the rabbit hole can go) 

You know there is a set of cars that will pair with the #6000's, (hint.. hint...) and solve this capacity problem. Hmm maybe they could buy or lease the 1947-48 #5001's from  FRTM. Now that would leave me speechless as I have never set foot inside those cars. It would solve there problem though. 5 cars is better than 2.

Really long term CTA needs a museum of it's own. MTA has this and this makes them a classy transit agency. CTA could be making some money here from countless sources, hollywood, the public or even people that would like to rent the cars for a weekend. As it would need to be downtown, I could accept it as a spur off the red line extension or even try to buy land next to Skokie shops. The equipment needs a housed structure to protect it and keep out the vandals.

I bet CTA is biting on there fingernails on why they let the #2200's get retired but wait what ever happened to #2273-74? o.O

21 hours ago, Pace831 said:

That's great! I couldn't believe it either. This shows CTA is taking a serious interest in the Heritage Fleet. The collection wouldn't be complete without the 6000s which are so iconic in Chicago history. I can't wait to ride them on the L.

Yeah so are countless other people me included. Graham Garfield needs to buy himself a thermal coat though. xD The controls are really still on the outside? I can't believe that how authentic!! This I gotta see!! Maybe there a YouTube video. If not there needs to be one.

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Checking the #6101 photo..... WTH it has 4 headlights. What are the top two lights for?

Not sure to which you are referring. This picture is embedded from the Fox River site:

0040.jpg

The only headlights are the two under the windows, which, on about all the rest of the 6001-6199 series, were moved to over the door, supposedly to eliminate glare.That didn't happen to 6101-2. Note the discussion on chicago-l.org 6000s gallery #2.

Both 6101 and the single unit (#40) have 4 classification lights. The deal then was that there was a rotating disk of color lenses to change the color of each light.* A passenger in the railfan seat had access to the knob to rotate the light in front of it.

_________

*In a sense, similar to the 7000s, which will have one multicolor LED per side instead of 4 lights of different colors.

39 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I believe #6059-60 had that configuration also.

I thought there was another pair, even though Graham Garfield didn't reference it at that location, but I believe you are correct.

39 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

. I think I answered my own question based on what you said that those might possibly be a primitive form of marker lights but I think I've only seen green or red.

As far as primitive, note that the same ones were on all 6000s, with both the oldest and newest trains depicted.

Chicago-l.org's marker light page has a picture of the inside knob. saying that they could be turned to RED, AMBER, GREEN, or LUNAR WHITE. He has various pamphlets, first without amber, but then using it for A trains.