New State-Of-The-Art Railcars

ajay

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I watched both videos.  It's the exact same script, except replacing VRE  with Metra.  Ugly livery aside, I can't wait to ride them in Metra service 

I guess this means Nippon Shapiro is about done in the U.S.   They have closed the Rochelle plant a fee years ago 

The design is totally outdated as the design is a minimum of 70 years old.  Somehow I think Metra will try to make the interior as bland as possible. 

Well, they aren't the only ones in that regard lol. MARC's & NJTransit's MultiLevels are bland on the inside as well, and I believe their upcoming orders will be as well. In regards to Nippon Sharyo, I believes this leaves Bombardier (now Alstom), Siemens, Hyundai-Rotem and now Stadler as the only companies left producing commuter rail rolling stock. At least it's more competitive than heavy rail rolling stock. So much for Buy America tho (in the strictest sense of the term).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, twyztdmynd said:

Amsted Rail Transit announced it will partner with Alstom to supply 200 new multilevel railcars for Metra, according to the company’s press release.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10152286/amsted-rail-alstom-partner-to-supply-200-commuter-railcars

TL;DR - Amsted is just building the bogies for Alstom to use on the train.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Well, they aren't the only ones in that regard lol. MARC's & NJTransit's MultiLevels are bland on the inside as well, and I believe their upcoming orders will be as well. In regards to Nippon Sharyo, I believes this leaves Bombardier (now Alstom), Siemens, Hyundai-Rotem and now Stadler as the only companies left producing commuter rail rolling stock. At least it's more competitive than heavy rail rolling stock. So much for Buy America tho (in the strictest sense of the term).

By my calculations   200 cars divided by 10 diesel lines is 20 per line.  Heritage Corridor only runs 9 cars total so they might get 3 to 6 cars, if any  That might bump some UP and BNSF lines up to 22 new cars.  I'm not sure if NCS or SWS needs that many new cars.   I wonder when Metra will decide to replace the cab cars?  Metra Electric will be stuck with their rolling stock for at least another 25 to 30 years.

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

CTA is receiving delivery of its 8350 series buses and is now starting to receive 7000 series cars.  Now we are waiting on Metra to see when we will see at least a pilot car. 

RTAMS says:

Current Status

A Notice to Proceed for the base order of 200 cars has been issued in April 2021. Project Management Plan has been developed and approved. Design activities are ongoing with intermediate design review as well as performing carbody shells. These are expected to continue through to Q3-2022. The first 3 cars are projected to be delievered in September 2024.

Last Updated 04.22.2022

• 10 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Looks like VRE is also getting the same railcars (looks like they even just reskinned the metra video lol).

Searching around for "Coradia Multilevel" (because most Coradias are single-level streamliners, except for Duplex)  turned up this memo from VRE staff, stating that VRE joined the Metra procurement because they run the same equipment.

image.thumb.png.5fe3be086508b8e2ce9ad259c9c8bedf.png

• Like 1

• 10 months later...