Metra purchases 7 state of the art locos with one zero emissions one

BusHunter

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, BusHunter said:

The board on thursday approved this so I guess not only are they getting new cars they are getting new locos. 

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/metra-purchase-7-new-low-zero-emission-locomotives?fbclid=IwAR0fbG-cvfo1svH6u870SWl0k3aTcna_glKQJaeaIPNukzRev62tuLaP0k8

We're so focused on new CTA and Pace vehicles, we don't know when to expect the new Metra cars and locks.  I would imagine the locos would start arriving first but I'm interested in the rail cars.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, artthouwill said:

We're so focused on new CTA and Pace vehicles, we don't know when to expect the new Metra cars and locks.  I would imagine the locos would start arriving first but I'm interested in the rail cars.

Well there are 15 repurposed locos that are coming Metras way (was supposed to be this spring) 

Plus the Metra board approved the re engineering of 3 diesel locos to run on battery power. Sounds like they want to put them on the Rock Island. 

So if we think Metra is not doing anything as far as cleaning up the air and forwarding technology, we would be wrong!! Lol!!

https://www.railwayage.com/news/metra-eyes-green-power/

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Plus the Metra board approved the re engineering of 3 diesel locos to run on battery power. Sounds like they want to put them on the Rock Island. 

So if we think Metra is not doing anything as far as cleaning up the air and forwarding technology, we would be wrong!! Lol!!

https://www.railwayage.com/news/metra-eyes-green-power/

I thought Metra was going to put the Rock island under wire, like the IC?

7 hours ago, strictures said:

I haven't heard that other than maybe someone suggested that on this forum.  I suppose it they actually did that, they would also have to electrify SWS since there are plans to reroute those trains from Union Station to LaSalle Station.

15 hours ago, strictures said:

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I haven't heard that other than maybe someone suggested that on this forum.  I suppose it they actually did that, they would also have to electrify SWS since there are plans to reroute those trains from Union Station to LaSalle Station.

The discussion was here. The ultimate source seems to be Trains Magazine, but it was characterized as "The Big Ask," and at the time we thought it was unrealistic. No mention in the 2022 capital plan.