Amtrak Upgrades

On 6/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Missed the refresh by a good month, the California Zephyr with the Sleepers had shown age. Perhaps if they've added a couple of more electric outlets, the ride shouldn't be terrible.

(mine was still fine, slept through the Denver-Galesburg part heh)

5 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Missed the refresh by a good month, the California Zephyr with the Sleepers had shown age. Perhaps if they've added a couple of more electric outlets, the ride shouldn't be terrible.

(mine was still fine, slept through the Denver-Galesburg part heh)

I've learned to bring power strips. My grandmother just bought herself, my mother and I those discounted usa rail passes, so I think we'll be doing the Empire Builder, Cascades, Coast Starlight and the SW Chief in September, so that'll be at least 5 opportunities to catch the refurbished trains.

How is the ride? I've only taken the City of New Orleans and the Capitol Limited previously, so I'm apprehensive about spending more than 24 hrs on the train, especially in coach.

17 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've learned to bring power strips. My grandmother just bought herself, my mother and I those discounted usa rail passes, so I think we'll be doing the Empire Builder, Cascades, Coast Starlight and the SW Chief in September, so that'll be at least 5 opportunities to catch the refurbished trains.

How is the ride? I've only taken the City of New Orleans and the Capitol Limited previously, so I'm apprehensive about spending more than 24 hrs on the train, especially in coach.

I've done the Starlight from Oakland to Santa Barbara and the Surfliner over the past six years - you can rock with Business Class and you'll be fine. 

As for the Zephyr, I slept in the sleeper and stayed in the Sleeper. The Chicago-Galesburg part and the Denver - Colorado Springs parts were cool and worth the views. Above all else, get it if you can swing it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...