Equitable Transit-Oriented Development Pilot Program

• 10 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, Busjack said:

...The SSM was fixed 25 years ago and only now is there any development around 63rd and Cottage Grove and almost none anywhere north of there. The city and county own so much abandoned land that if people wanted to redevelop it, they could.

Black developers to build 3-flats in a single Woodlawn block, replacing 11 vacant lots (Sun-Times).

Maybe what I said above, maybe not. These developers are using County Land Bank land to build 33 units of housing one block west of the Cottage Grove-63 station.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Black developers to build 3-flats in a single Woodlawn block, replacing 11 vacant lots (Sun-Times).

Maybe what I said above, maybe not. These developers are using County Land Bank land to build 33 units of housing one block west of the Cottage Grove-63 station.

I suppose we shouldn't despise small beginnings, but 11 3 - flats aren't going to put a dent in Green Line ridership.

49 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose we shouldn't despise small beginnings, but 11 3 - flats aren't going to put a dent in Green Line ridership.

That wasn't the intent of the post, nor of the land bank program. Instead it was in support of my statement that there was sufficient vacant land if someone wanted to develop it and the station at Cottage Grove seemed to be the one TOD generator.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That wasn't the intent of the post, nor of the land bank program. Instead it was in support of my statement that there was sufficient vacant land if someone wanted to develop it and the station at Cottage Grove seemed to be the one TOD generator.

There's plenty of vacant land all over the south side.  You referenced development or lack thereof since the Green line reopening.  In another post I referenced construction happening just east of the 43rd St station.   I think any redevelopment around 63rd and Cottage Grove is going to be centered around that Green Line station and possibly the University of Chicago as catalysts.  The 43rd Street project is definitely centered around the Green Line station with the intent to house people who want a quick commute downtown to work.  ( With recent events i don't know how viable this will be,  but that was the stated intent when that project was announced).

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

There's plenty of vacant land all over the south side.  You referenced development or lack thereof since the Green line reopening.  In another post I referenced construction happening just east of the 43rd St station.   I think any redevelopment around 63rd and Cottage Grove is going to be centered around that Green Line station and possibly the University of Chicago as catalysts.  The 43rd Street project is definitely centered around the Green Line station with the intent to house people who want a quick commute downtown to work.  ( With recent events i don't know how viable this will be,  but that was the stated intent when that project was announced).

I find the Green Line on the South Side far safer than any part of the Red Line!  I have ridden it to & from 63rd/Cottage to Clinton several times in the last few months.  The sole problem is the smokers on board.  Even the sock sellers are gone.

3 hours ago, strictures said:

I find the Green Line on the South Side far safer than any part of the Red Line!  I have ridden it to & from 63rd/Cottage to Clinton several times in the last few months.  The sole problem is the smokers on board.  Even the sock sellers are gone.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen any peddlers on any part of the Green Line except an occasional person selling cigarettes.  There are more weed smokers on CTA than cigarette smokers 

• 1 year later...