Trip information

Nabinut

Hi!

I'm a bus fan from Maryland and in two weeks i will be visiting the windy city for four days. Now i need some information that the CTA website can't provide like:

A listing of good places in and out of downtown to take photos of buses and where i could find the more interesting items of the fleet i.e Orions and Old and New New Flyers.

Also some information on where most of the heaviest bus lines converge and scenic lines to ride and photograph.

Thanks for any information provided

What has the greatest variety of buses and most scenic differ.

For a concentration of buses, the 95/Ryan Red Line terminal, which has 4400s, 5300s, 6000s, and 6400s. Or, on the other side of the city, the Howard Red Line Terminal, which has 4400s, 5800s, 7500s, and maybe a Pace Orion. In the downtown area, you will see the greatest concentration of 1000s, 6400s and 7500s, nearly anywhere downtown. Buses are also concentrated at Jefferson Park, but the CTA ones there are just 6000s and 6400s.

For scenic routes, try some that were indicated as scenic in The Best Routes thread.

If you are looking for Orions, your best bet is on Pace; see the thread on Why should the orion i models leave??

What has the greatest variety of buses and most scenic differ.

For a concentration of buses, the 95/Ryan Red Line terminal, which has 4400s, 5300s, 6000s, and 6400s. Or, on the other side of the city, the Howard Red Line Terminal, which has 4400s, 5800s, 7500s, and maybe a Pace Orion. In the downtown area, you will see the greatest concentration of 1000s, 6400s and 7500s, nearly anywhere downtown. Buses are also concentrated at Jefferson Park, but the CTA ones there are just 6000s and 6400s.

Wow, excatly right! Well i can't really put it into better words than that,but if you need help go to http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/ to plan a trip on where your going, oh for the Orions you can see one/ride on the 215 at the Howard Station. To learn some more visit the CTA website www.transitchicago.com

Basically, no. Most of the CTA bus system is on a grid, with the only convergence downtown or at the outlying rapid transit stations. Not a pulse or feeder system, as in some of the outlying areas served by Pace. There are a few shared bus turnarounds, such as at Belmont-Halsted and 79th-Western.

I have finalize my trip plans and have a list of places i want to visit during the week. I am posting it here in case anyone has any other advice for me:

Terminals:

Forest Park Station

Jefferson Park Station

Navy Pier

95th/Dan Ryan Terminal

Midway Terminal

Howard Terminal

I also walk portions of a heavy route for more scenic photos so these are the areas i'm doing this in:

Clark

Archer

Madison

Also regarding this, what kind of equipment would i find on the 20,22,36 & 62 lines?

20 would be Novas

62 would be Novas and (new) New Flyers

22 and 36 would be TMC RTS and (old) New Flyers

Be careful on Madison Street. Some of the areas are not too friendly.

Also watch where you are around 95th. Although right there is okay, you don't generally want to wander to much to the north and east from there for the same reasons. Being there in the daytime should reduce the risks...just be careful.

• 2 years later...
Wow, excatly right! Well i can't really put it into better words than that,but if you need help go to http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/ to plan a trip on where your going, oh for the Orions you can see one/ride on the 215 at the Howard Station. To learn some more visit the CTA website www.transitchicago.com
doesn't the 215 run on Howard/Western/Asbury

• 3 months later...

Hey:

I'm updating this post as i'm making another trip to Chicago at the end of August. Has anything (besides the recent NABI debaucle) changed? Any new areas to hit up for photos?

Basically the only change in the past 3 years is that the 4400s, 5300s, and 5800s are all gone. You'll basically get mostly New Flyers, except around Jefferson Park and Archer, which don't have any. Most of the 6000s are still around, but more dispersed.

If you want to get pictures of DE60LFs, the areas are basically Michigan Avenue and LaSalle Street. Follow BusTracker for primarily 14, 136, 146, 147, and 156.

Hey:

I'm updating this post as i'm making another trip to Chicago at the end of August. Has anything (besides the recent NABI debaucle) changed? Any new areas to hit up for photos?

I concur with Busjack.

If you camp out at Jefferson Park, you'll get a vast selection of Novas from Forest Glen; the sporadic 30-foot Optima Opus [routes #56A, #81W, #85A, #88]; New Flyers on #X54 from Chicago garage; and the two bus models from Pace Northwest on #225, #226, & #270. You can also walk up the stairs and capture UP Northwest line trains, and go onto the bridge for Blue Line "L" shots.