CTA's DE40LFs

rmadisonwi

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused... :huh: the Buses page shows the 900-series New Flyers still on order, but the Garages page shows them assigned to Kedzie. Did we get them already, and if not how can we be sure they will be assigned to Kedzie Garage? I'm almost sure there are several other CTA Garages that also handle downtown routes. That's prejudgemental thinking, IMO(Busjack, I think you'll agree with me here). Just because the 800-series New Flyers were assigned to Kedzie doesn't mean these 10 will be.

That's prejudgemental thinking, IMO(Busjack, I think you'll agree with me here)
Sort of, and also waiting, in accordance with post 3859 the source of them being 900s. I previously said that it would make sense to test them around the system (maybe the Archer sighting confirms that), except for express routes (no benefit of regenerative braking there), and if CTA management were rational it would be doing that (but they are "real men of genius").

You really don't want to know what I think will happen next if the next order (Option 3) is for hybrids.

Also, after looking at the Buses page at sw's instance, various coincidences indicate that some anonymous user is using this a source for Wikipedia, also as previously noted.

Also, after looking at the Buses page at sw's instance, various coincidences indicate that some anonymous user is using this a source for Wikipedia, also as previously noted.

For what it's worth, the Wikipedia page was updated before this website was with the 900-series hybrid info, therefore this site couldn't have been a "source" for the Wikipedia article.

For what it's additionally worth, CTA's rosters indicate that the next ten hybrids will be in the 900 series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rode 802 tonight on Pulaski. I was on Peterson when I saw the bus at the turnaround and I couldn't resist so I hopped off Peterson and on to the Pulaski bus. It was a parallel hybrid and I have to say I noticed almost no use of the battery. The bus always used battery power when we started moving. Within say ten seconds the engine throttled up and took over. This happened in very slow stop and go traffic which, according to the cards lining the ad areas, is where the bus should be running completely on batteries. I was a little disappointed. When the engine did throttle up it really added a large vibration to the bus until it got up to speed. To me that kinda sucked. It wasn't a smooth transition at all.

One other thing that bothered me. I'm sure others wouldn't care any less about this. The smell from the new seats was unbelieveably strong. It was that weird new fabric upholstery smell. It might not have been the seats I suppose. Maybe hybrid smells like new upholstery? :P