When busses burn up

Archon

Wow!

I'm glad I was not on that bus. When did this happen?

Gene King

Happened around 1993. on pull in for route 48 No one but driver was on bus. I took pictures when the neoplans were being scrapped in 2004. That bus sat in storage for 9 years.

Speaking of burning buses, 4539 went up just after leaving North Park this morning, closing Foster Avenue and forcing all buses coming out of the garage to go west. So much for all that extra service along the Red Line for the AM rush!

Speaking of burning buses, 4539 went up just after leaving North Park this morning, closing Foster Avenue and forcing all buses coming out of the garage to go west. So much for all that extra service along the Red Line for the AM rush!

Another TMC bites the dust... Any pics???

• 3 weeks later...

Another TMC bites the dust... Any pics???

That's exactly what I don't like about fiberglass buses - here today! - gone today!

Don't mind me - I'm an old 'real steel' bus man (although I must say that I think the GMD 'Classic' was the most handsome thing to ever sit on six wheels!).

Mr. Linsky

That's exactly what I don't like about fiberglass buses - here today! - gone today!

Don't mind me - I'm an old 'real steel' bus man.

Local experience indicates that more steel buses burn. Several 5800s (New Flyer) burned early in their service careers (including 5853), and CTA had a brake fire in a then new NABI artic (apparently 7545). pace2322 reported a brake fire on 6047, an Orion VI, which was stripped (transitalk.info, when it was up, had a picture of it), on 2322, an Orion I, and an engine fire on a NABI (but he took down the BBQ bus post). By contrast, the RTS that burned was about up for replacement, anyway (having been in service 16 years).

Local experience indicates that more steel buses burn. Several 5800s (New Flyer) burned early in their service careers (including 5853), and CTA had a brake fire in a then new NABI artic (apparently 7545). pace2322 reported a brake fire on 6047, an Orion VI, which was stripped (transitalk.info, when it was up, had a picture of it), on 2322, an Orion I, and an engine fire on a NABI (but he took down the BBQ bus post). By contrast, the RTS that burned was about up for replacement, anyway (having been in service 16 years).

Busjack,

I grant you that steel buses burn - New York City has had more than its share of fires in the past. But, my concern is how rapidly fiberglass burns as opposed to steel!, in addition to what 'toxins' these resins can emit.

To my knowledge, industry wide fatalities due to bus fires have been minimal! (thank goodness for that!).

The other factor is 'total loss' comparing the two materials. I would say that most steel buses damaged by fire are far more salvageable than similar burnouts in fiberglass (an important factor when you consider that almost all bus companies are self insured!).

However, the question now becomes mute because there are no more steel buses!

Mr. Linsky

The other factor is 'total loss' comparing the two materials. I would say that most steel buses damaged by fire are far more salvageable than similar burnouts in fiberglass (an important factor when you consider that almost all bus companies are self insured!).

However, the question now becomes mute [sic, actually moot] because there are no more steel buses!

Several fallacies here. There probably are few fiberglass buses being produced for transit service today. Maybe Millennium is still producing RTSs; the Compobus has run its course. The rest of the buses (at least what CTA and Pace are purchasing) are steel or steel and aluminum. You can look at the Neoplan at the top of the thread; it was a steel bus. Maybe all the composites on the interior burned. I suppose the same is true for Pace 6047. You have a charred and bent steel shell, but nothing worth salvaging.

And, as previously noted, steel buses like 7545 were "here today, gone today," while the 4400 outlasted its government established service life.