The Flyer D901 WorkBuses

sw4400

I've seen some of these on the streets, and they look in terrible shape. Bumpers damaged or missing, very dark blotches on them either from dirt or fires, and blue smoke(Engine Oil Burning) exiting the upper left exaust pipe. I understand that these vehicles are like 20+ years old, but IMO they need to be taken care of a little better than what they are.

CTA consistently uses for work buses those that otherwise would be scrapped. It wouldn't surprise me if those are soon gone and replaced by 4900s. They also used obsolete L cars for work equipment, until they needed cars with cab signals, so that's why they now use in service equipment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The CTA ordered a total of 200 Flyers in 1983 and 1 in 1986 to replace one that they refused in the beginning(for whatever reason).  While many of these buses have been scrapped since their retirement in 2002, the ones in the best condition(I would say between maybe 25-45) were kept for workbuses for the ironworkers as well as some of the ex-M.A.N Articulateds from Seattle after retirement.  The workbus WB-1 that has been seen recently might've been a rechristened Flyer as the old WB-1's engine or trans. might've went.

Some you can actually see the numbers of a little bit.  Kevin's Flyer from www.flickr.com was ex-Flyer #9963, 9965, or 9968(the last digit is kinda hard to make out, but it is definately a "3", "5", or "8".)