Revisiting The Photography Policy

sw4400

Believe it or not but most CTA drivers and I mean MOST! arent even interested in buses or the technical aspects of buses or are even busfans. You would be surprised at how little they know about buses or the bus they drive. They do it because its their job not because they like buses. Kudos to those CTA drivers who are busfans but for most they dont even know what a GMC fishbowl or what a Marmon Herrington trolley bus is. What a shame!

I believe that is a shame also that they don't know about their buses or aren't busfans.

Ill tell you what, this is one busfan who loves what he does. I do it not for the money, I do it because its my hobby. Now if everyone will excuse me but Im going to go have fun on the #606 today! Take care all! :)

That's really good to know. Have fun :).

• 2 weeks later...

Let me tell you all the time i got stopped at the 103rd Garage Last Year it went like this:

My grandmother took me to the 103rd Garage that night in june i photographed some buses but what i didn't know is i had it on flash and a few minutes after i snapped #6093, here comes a SUV towards me and the supervisor said "you can't take pictures here, sir" and one driver said

the same thing after i explained that it was a hobby, the supervisor said the turnaround was private property and said that i needed to photograph buses on the sidewalk and i left, but two days later i went to 67th/Jeffery where it was public, that's showing them!

i photographed some buses but what i didn't know is i had it on flash and a few minutes after i snapped #6093, here comes a SUV towards me and the supervisor said "you can't take pictures here, sir" and one driver said the same thing after i explained that it was a hobby, the supervisor said the turnaround was private property and said that i needed to photograph buses on the sidewalk and i left

This might sound rude what i'm about to say (and I apologize if it does), but ... why bother explaining that you photographing is a hobby when you had flash on (by accident of course)? That doesn't help. The best thing that you could have done is, once the supervisor told you that you couldn't photograph there, go home and try another day. Besides, I thought photographing on garage property was illegal ... or is it? From the sound of things, it's not.

but two days later i went to 67th/Jeffery where it was public, that's showing them!

Another way you could have "showed" them is by photographing off the property that same night instead of waiting two days to "show" them.

This might sound rude what i'm about to say (and I apologize if it does), but ... why bother explaining that you photographing is a hobby when you had flash on (by accident of course)? That doesn't help. The best thing that you could have done is, once the supervisor told you that you couldn't photograph there, go home and try another day. Besides, I thought photographing on garage property was illegal ... or is it? From the sound of things, it's not.

Another way you could have "showed" them is by photographing off the property that same night instead of waiting two days to "show" them.

i still taught them a lesson though

Download the Krages document and memorize the key points. If you are taking photographs from a public street or sidewalk, then no one has the right to ask or demand that you delete your photographs or otherwise confiscate your camera, memory card or other property. Do not put up with that crap for one second - be polite, but be firm and let them know that there is no prohibition against photography on public streets.

On several occasions, I've had police officers tell me that I couldn't take photographs, but they've never tried to confiscate my film camera. I generally ignore bus drivers who try and tell me that photography is illegal, although I also take the previous poster's advice and try not to stay in any one location too long.

On several occasions, I've had police officers tell me that I couldn't take photographs, but they've never tried to confiscate my film camera. I generally ignore bus drivers who try and tell me that photography is illegal, although I also take the previous poster's advice and try not to stay in any one location too long.

You've had POLICE officers tell you that? And they're supposed to know all about the laws.

Download the Krages document and memorize the key points. If you are taking photographs from a public street or sidewalk, then no one has the right to ask or demand that you delete your photographs or otherwise confiscate your camera, memory card or other property. Do not put up with that crap for one second - be polite, but be firm and let them know that there is no prohibition against photography on public streets.

can you give me a tip on how to be firm and what to say when i get stopped

can you give me a tip on how to be firm and what to say when i get stopped

Speak in the same manner to that person as they speak to you. As long as youre on public property and not on transit property no one has any right to question you. I was in Rockford a few months back and a group of busfan and I were photgraphing the buses leaving the RMTD Transit Center, I wanted to film the new NABI 35ft buses RMTD had just placed in service recently. Within ten minutes some minimum wage security cop wannabe approached us and asked what were doing there. We told her were photographing the buses for a hobby. We pretty much got what we wanted and left.

Speak in the same manner to that person as they speak to you. As long as youre on public property and not on transit property no one has any right to question you. I was in Rockford a few months back and a group of busfan and I were photgraphing the buses leaving the RMTD Transit Center, I wanted to film the new NABI 35ft buses RMTD had just placed in service recently. Within ten minutes some minimum wage security cop wannabe approached us and asked what were doing there. We told her were photographing the buses for a hobby. We pretty much got what we wanted and left.

thanks for the tip and i'll carry my CTA's Photo Policy and bert krages' photographers right to prove i don't take no stuff from no security guard

thanks for the tip and i'll carry my CTA's Photo Policy and bert krages' photographers right to prove i don't take no stuff from no security guard

Well, actually, mouthing off to a security guard would prove that much more :lol: (don't actually do it unless they give you lip first LOL), but I guess you can prove it that way too.

I got my new camera a couple days ago and today I went to the St. Paul and Minneapolis Downtowns and took a bunch of pictures. No one bothered me or said anything so it was nice to get a good start :) I stayed off to the sides or took photos from the skyways but I still got some good, if not great, pictures. Still need to practice shooting the camera though :lol:

Oh yeah, I will be posting some in Minneapolis "T" buses shortly.

Sure, I'm from Toronto, but the same things happen here.

One poster asked what they should do when approached. The first thing I do is switch my camera into video mode, and hit the shutter. This records everything you and the approacher say, verbatim. It will be very helpful should you wish to complain, sue, etc. Maintain yourself, calm and collectively. Crying, yelling, swearing, stomping, etc will only show that you were caught off guard, and that you are weak. If you maintain yourself calmly, you are showing no violence, and the incident should not escalate. Know what you're talking about. I know my city's transit by-law, and it contains nothing regarding photography. Make sure you tell the approacher what you know. Also make sure you listen to what they say, and don't speak over them, remember your camera is recording the event, and you want to make sure it can understand what both of you are saying. You are under no obligation to delete your photos, or even show them to anyone. They are your property, as is your camera, and anything you have on you. Get employees' names and/or badge numbers, and ask for a phone number to speak to their supervisor. If you have a phone, take it out, and pretend (you actually could, if you wanted to) to call the transit authority's customer service, your lawyer and if you're a minor, your parents. With operators, it's easy to drop names to scare them off. For example, I was having a non-photgraphy related problem with a driver. He refused to set his transfer cutter to the correct time, and everyone getting on the bus was being ripped off, no pun intended. He ended up giving me some BS excuse as to why my transfer was reduced by 25% of the time I paid for, then I asked for his badge number. He gave me an "oh shit" look, then told me he wasn't allowed to. He said he was going to call control to have a supervisor attend. I replied by saying "I don't think you want to waste Ms. Baverstock's (Transit Controller) time, and I don't think Mr. Marinoff (Director of Transit) would appreciate having this busload of people held up." At that, he reset his transfer cutter and gave me a new transfer with the correct time.

It's also very handy to get to know drivers, because they can provide info, give you free reign on photography, etc. They love tea, coffee and other beverages, especially cold water on a hot day. I've also taken prints (of their bus the day before) out to drivers, they have really liked that!

128px-Mississauga_Transit_9204-a.JPG

I got my new camera a couple days ago and today I went to the St. Paul and Minneapolis Downtowns and took a bunch of pictures. No one bothered me or said anything so it was nice to get a good start :) I stayed off to the sides or took photos from the skyways but I still got some good, if not great, pictures. Still need to practice shooting the camera though :lol:

Oh yeah, I will be posting some in Minneapolis "T" buses shortly.

Thats good that you had a good start. This is what I was stating before about going downtown to photograph, eveyone is minding their own business, no one cares or takes a second look at what youre doing which is a good thing. Downtown is the best place to shoot photos or film. Here in Guatemala no one bothers you here, the only problem is that theres nothing to shoot. I did see one thing I found interesting, an ex-school bus that had "Mishawaka school district" on the side. Theres some MCIs 102C3 buses around but still havent found that picture I want to shoot. Hopefully today I will find something worth shooting. A couple of years ago I found parked outside one of the firehouses here in Guatemala a Ward Lafrance pumper engine for those of you who are "Emergency" tv show fans, Engine 51. It was an exL.A. County Fire Dept pumper. I did shoot some pics of it, I have them in my collection. But Im hoping to find some good buses to shoot here but so far Ive come up empty. I may just shoot a couple of the red city buses to show everyone. We´ll be going soon to the city so Ill have plenty of opportunity, like I said before the CTA NABIs would be king of the road here, more soon....

• 9 months later...

My friend and I got hassled by a Chicago police officer at Midway this evening after a long day of fanning and photo-taking on various CTA buses and trains. We knew we were completely within our rights to take photos (we were on the Midway platform) but since she was actually respectful, we put our cameras away immediately.

My friend and I got hassled by a Chicago police officer at Midway this evening after a long day of fanning and photo-taking on various CTA buses and trains. We knew we were completely within our rights to take photos (we were on the Midway platform) but since she was actually respectful, we put our cameras away immediately.

shoulda carried bert krages' photographers' rights, because i carry it with me or moved somewhere else

The thing I was thinking is that since the Midway platform is now adjacent to the parking garage and terminal (not like 10 years ago when there was a half-mile long bridge) there might be a homeland security issue there. But since you weren't hassled, apparently little foul.

Anyone else at Midway this week taking photos :lol: Thats what I would do too, why risk them confiscating your camera and losing all the other pictures. BTW do you have a website or gallery page you put your photos on?

Anyone else at Midway this week taking photos :lol: Thats what I would do too, why risk them confiscating your camera and losing all the other pictures. BTW do you have a website or gallery page you put your photos on?

in case if they made you delete your pictures, don't fret, download a photo recovery program to retrieve the deleted pics

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's how i see it, as i too am a transit Photographer

When taking pictures,DON'T use a fancy camera that is huge and has like mega flash, because then you are begging for it. They'll spot you right away. Also, try to stay in a public area. If you aren't on private property, they cannot get you because you're... in public grounds. For people who have the option to disable flash: do it, it'll save you some trouble because once the driver sees the flash, they can use that against you. And when rail fanning, please, just stay out the yards! People who go in there are just begging for it, you know you're going to be in trouble when you do that, it's sorta common sense now

that's all i got...