Revisiting The Photography Policy

sw4400

Here's how i see it, as i too am a transit Photographer

When taking pictures,DON'T use a fancy camera that is huge and has like mega flash, because then you are begging for it. They'll spot you right away. Also, try to stay in a public area. If you aren't on private property, they cannot get you because you're... in public grounds. For people who have the option to disable flash: do it, it'll save you some trouble because once the driver sees the flash, they can use that against you. And when rail fanning, please, just stay out the yards! People who go in there are just begging for it, you know you're going to be in trouble when you do that, it's sorta common sense now

that's all i got...

You should never have flash on anyways, when shooting transit at least.

As for the huge fancy camera issue, lots of transit enthusiasts use large cameras. You have to think like a security guard, security guards are going to be looking for people who are suspicious looking. With a big camera you're conspicuous and all and it shows that you don't have anything to hide. With a small camera, its like you're trying to hide something, which makes you a hole lot more suspicious looking.

You should never have flash on anyways, when shooting transit at least.

As for the huge fancy camera issue, lots of transit enthusiasts use large cameras. You have to think like a security guard, security guards are going to be looking for people who are suspicious looking. With a big camera you're conspicuous and all and it shows that you don't have anything to hide. With a small camera, its like you're trying to hide something, which makes you a hole lot more suspicious looking.

I think no matter what size camera you use, security will always have something to say. From past experiences I think using a small camera will minimize the chances of being challenged and getting into trouble with police. Other ideas to minimize the chances of trouble is keeping your distance such as photgraphing across the street, shooting pics downtown where many people who would be oblivious to what youre doing. And of course as stated before not snapping pics with flashes especially towards the bus or train operator.

The way I see it:

Big Cameras:

Pros+

*Great photos (you would hope after spending the farm on one).

*Don't make it look like your trying to hide something.

*Give the impression of a professional photographer.

Cons-

*Are very conspicuous, personally I notice them even when people are carrying them a half block away.

*Could make it look like you're filming/shooting for commercial purposes. (Can we see your permit?)

*With all the zoom features you would think one has it might look like you are shooting restricted areas 100 feet away, not the bus pulling in 15 feet away.

Small cameras:

Pros+

*It's not uncommon for anyone to have one.

*You probably look more like just another tourist when using one.

*You don't draw attention to yourself by looking like a lost paparazzi.

Cons-

*Pictures may not be as good

*Can look like your hiding what you are up to.

I think really though the size of camera doesn't matter much if at all, it's really how the photographer acts. Someone with one of these who jumps off a bus and grabs a bunch of shots, then looks over their shoulder and walks quickly out of the station is going to look way more suspicious than someone with a camera the size of an Altoid tin who takes a couple pics and then sits on a bench or walks away nonchalantly. Switch the cameras and people just described and I don't think it would make a difference.

Aside from that, never use the flash, I would be upset if someone took a flash picture of me while I was driving since I'm light sensitive. Those flashes make it hard for me to see for a minute sometimes.

Try not to photograph people. Yeah you can if it's a public street, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

[/rant]

BTW here is a link to my new Flickr account, currently it's mostly photos already posted here but when I get new ones I will be adding them there.

Try not to photograph people. Yeah you can if it's a public street, but just because you can doesn't mean you should..

That's one of the main concerns when drivers see you taking a pic of their bus, they think you're trying to take a pic of them and them only, most drivers don't believe that people actually just like the bus, and the ones that do are the ones that don't care. With SEPTA and NJT, since their fleet is so diverse, they understand that people want to take photos, but the drivers could care less because they think you're just there to get them in trouble

• 6 months later...

What a load of bull. That sucks. Why is CTA so offended by photographers? And why does it encourage snitching (yes, I'm using that word for this)?

To be a little fair (or fare) there is the homeland security concern that someone is scoping out the system to plant a bomb in it. Maybe that's why they used the word "excessive." However, that doesn't have anything to do with 99.999% of photographers, I'm sure the "spies" have their cameras hidden, and CTA can injure enough of its passengers through its own activities, like bidirectional rail operations.

I really don't think that such photos as the person missing a wig or smuggling a cat are of much concern to them.

I think they should explain the excessive part. I understand it to mean someone who is trying to study the property in detail with their camera. They should also make a distinction in between everyday photographers like us and suspicious people. For example If someone was entering private areas of the CTA such as the subway tunnels between stations, that would be suspicious and should be reported. If someone is just standing on the platform taking pictures of trains going by there is nothing wrong with that. They should educate CTA employees, security guards, and Police about this policy. The Policy should also be posted in stations for reference.

As the policy states, "The general public is PERMITTED to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within PUBLIC areas of CTA stations and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use. All photographers and videographers are PROHIBITED from entering, photographing, or videotaping NON-PUBLIC areas of the CTA’s transit system.

I strongly suggest printing a copy and keeping it with you.

http://www.transitchicago.com/business/photopolicy.aspx?print=y

• Upvote 1

As the policy states, "The general public is PERMITTED to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within PUBLIC areas of CTA stations and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use. All photographers and videographers are PROHIBITED from entering, photographing, or videotaping NON-PUBLIC areas of the CTA’s transit system.

A problem with the current policy is that "public" and "non-public" is sometimes misinterpreted as "unpaid area" and "paid area," respectively.

A problem with the current policy is that "public" and "non-public" is sometimes misinterpreted as "unpaid area" and "paid area," respectively.

At least I always interpreted nonpublic as being behind the fences that have signs saying "Private Property--No Trespassing." Of course, I always wondered how it could be "private property" if the taxpayers own it.

But, anyway, that is what resulted to my question to RIPTA a couple of years ago about how some people got into the (Pace) garage property to take pictures. Notwithstanding what some purported CTA employee said about CTA property, I'm sure I am not getting into a garage to photograph it, and don't really have an interest in shooting through the fence on Elston Ave.

I'm sure that the same applies to rail property. Nobody is going to stop someone on the platform taking a picture of a 5000, and it is clearly implied that shooting from the platform is allowed by the statement in the policy "Your safety is very important to us, so stay away from platform edges and moving vehicles." The "in transit vehicles" is basically only possible if you are in the paid area. On the other hand, they don't want people roaming the Skokie yard and becoming crispy critters.

BTW: When I lived near there, I once stuck my nose into the open garage door of the 52nd Garage. I see looking at the procurements that the CTA is just getting around to selling the property, over 25 years since the garage closed, and at least 15 (of which I know) since it was leveled. (Agenda item in Word format; #7C)

What a load of hot garbage!! I ALWAYS carry the CTA photography policy in my bag, as well as the Photographers Rights printed PDF. I've gotten hassled a few times, and I usually just walk away or ignore them while I continue to capture the photo. I tell them that I know what the policy is and that I have it on me, they usually walk away.

Even if someone WAS taking pictures of off limits areas, or structural images, etc...what's to stop them from saying "it's just a hobby"? Plenty of people are interested in it. If you ask me, it's just nonsense...the CTA is buying into the whole 'society of fear' that we live in. It makes me sick. If terrorists are smart enough to coordinate attacks on airplanes and bypass airport security, don't you think they're smart enough to bypass the CTA's lame photography policy? This is one of those things, like DRM, that does nothing to stop the problem but makes it troublesome for the innocent, everyday people.

• Upvote 3