Revisiting The Photography Policy

sw4400

I know I mentioned this before in a old topic, but after reading this, http://www.chicagoist.com/2007/06/11/take_a_quick_lo.php I just want to get a clear understanding from my peers on this photography rule that seems to be there, but isn't :blink: The person who wrote this article said the employee threatened to call the police on them for taking pictures and trying to explain the photography rule to them. I do not want to lose my camera or get in trouble with the police because of a "ghost" rule. This is a topic I am posting because I especially want the following people to give me their intake on this topic, and how should we handle photographing CTA property until either Ms. Gaffney or the CTA irons things out. This article also discusses employees and confiscation of photographing equipment. Has anything like this happened in the past?

-Kevin

-Busjack

-rmadisonwi

-trainman8119

Also any chicagobus.org member(s) who photographs on a regular basis.

A Rail Service Bulletin was issued in March, 2003 (yes, post-9/11, but pre-3/11) stating essentially the same thing as Noelle Gaffney's response to Chicagoist, without the "CTA personnel may evaluate the actions of photographers on a case by case basis..." disclaimer. I carry a copy in my camera bag.

I had two run-ins with CTA employees in March, 2004, both of whom were, as Ms. Gaffney puts it, "retrained." I had no problems through 2006, but I have been confronted a few times already this year. After one Brown Line operator insisted that the bulletin had been repealed and threatened to have me arrested at Clark & Lake this April, I called CTA customer service to inquire about the actual policy. The service agent confirmed that photography on the system was no longer legal. When I asked him when this policy went into effect, he put me on hold to ask a supervisor, then told me he didn't know and directed me to call CTA headquarters.

Print out the Chicagoist page and carry it with you. It clearly states that personal photography is permitted, and it's recently dated. Also, remember that photographing buses (or anything, for that matter) from a public street or sidewalk cannot be made illegal.

I started photographing buses on July 7, 2005 and have photographed buses at least over 100 times, but I was never approached by a CTA employee, but after reading today's article, I think i'll just stay along the routes and not go to the terminals. I have already recieved werid looks from CTA employess over at Jefferson Park. I don't think I could arrested for that because i'm a minor and i'm disabled. I don't the CTA should worry about us photographing, they should be worried about funding.

Since you asked personally, all I can say is that I have never gotten inside any transit property to photograph anything (and have asked other members how they did it). The only CTA photos I have are either on a downtown street, or one time through a fence. The only time I was questioned was by the Pace supervisor in Buffalo Grove, but, as I noted, it was more about why we types are interested in bus types than anything over a photography policy.

I can't speak for CTA policy, only Metra (to a point). The general rule of thumb, is don't get caught on Metra property (this would include platforms) or risk arrest. I don't know of any crews that would turn in a rail buff taking pictures...most of us are not too concerned about the threat of terriorism and have too many other things to worry about other than transit buffs taking pictures.

That said, I have heard of many local municipalities (Morton Grove comes to mind) where camera buffs were threatened with arrest and loss of equipment by local police. These people were on platforms. Also, recently, some Union Pacific gumshoes (railroad police) have been hassling photographers, primarily on the Northwest Line...again on or near platforms.

I would say, if you want to take pictures, do it...just stay off the property. Take the pics from the street..local condo deck, park, or anyplace else. Personally, I don't know what the big deal is. A bad guy can get the info he/she wants from the street as easily as the platform. I guess it somehow comes down to liability, in the unlikely event something happens.

I have already recieved werid looks from CTA employess over at Jefferson Park. I don't think I could arrested for that because i'm a minor and i'm disabled.

I shoot at Jefferson Park more often than anywhere else, and I have never had a problem there. That said, anyone can be arrested.

I don't the CTA should worry about us photographing, they should be worried about funding.

Maybe imposing a fine on photographers who use flash or tripods would help the funding crisis.

That said, I have heard of many local municipalities (Morton Grove comes to mind) where camera buffs were threatened with arrest and loss of equipment by local police. These people were on platforms. Also, recently, some Union Pacific gumshoes (railroad police) have been hassling photographers, primarily on the Northwest Line...again on or near platforms.

There has been plenty of press about UP and their photo policy. In addition to the aforementioned CTA bulletin, I also carry in my camera bag a Sun-Times article from a year or so ago that explicitly states that photography is permitted in public areas of UP property, including Metra stations.

I was never stopped from taking photos, although a majority of my photos are taken on public property. Two friends of mine have been stopped in the past. One of whom, oddly enough, was a CTA employee who was on assignment to take photos of a particular rail station. Despite his employee status, the CA at the station refused to allow him to take photos. A supervisor needed to intervene and set things straight.

I was never stopped from taking photos, although a majority of my photos are taken on public property. Two friends of mine have been stopped in the past. One of whom, oddly enough, was a CTA employee who was on assignment to take photos of a particular rail station. Despite his employee status, the CA at the station refused to allow him to take photos. A supervisor needed to intervene and set things straight.

I think its ridiculous the ban on phtography. I was stopped two years ago on the Cleveland Red Line train. I was video taping the trip on board the train. I was filming inside the car and the rails outside the windows. A few minutes after we pulled out of downtown heading to the airport the train stopped about two stops outside downtown we waited about two minutes as I turned to sit down two uniformed Cleveland police officers boarded the train and asked "what was I doing?" I told them Im from out of town and I wanted to take some video of the train. I even identified myself back then as a CTA employee. I was ordered to stop it. It was humiliating.

I think its ridiculous the ban on phtography.

I will agree with that comment, unfortunately it is a sign of the times, and that panic that has set in. I think it is crazy to implement a policy that, for example, bans one from standing on a platform to take picture, but no effort is made to police garages, train yards, or right of ways. If a nut case wanted to do some damage, that is how they will do it...or just get on a train/bus/trolley with a loaded back pack. So much scare tactics are put into place to give the illusion that security is in place when, in fact, it hasn't changed one bit. Just realize, that even though stations, platforms and equipment, be it a bus or train are public areas, they are looked at somewhat as private property and those who maintain or manage the property have the right to remove you from said property if it considered to be a risk to safety, security, or even if you are just a pain in the butt. There are many ways to take pics without having to create trouble by taking said pics on an agencies property. Personally, I would stand on the street and snap away...what's 10 feet !!!

You're not allowed to take pictures on METRA platforms? I never knew METRA had a policy like that. Trainman, you're very correct about the way no effort is made to METRA property (except for the platforms), but noooo, they get all wild when you take a picture of a train. What, are the transit agencies gulity about the conditions of their buses and/or trains? I think so.

You're not allowed to take pictures on METRA platforms? I never knew METRA had a policy like that. Trainman, you're very correct about the way no effort is made to METRA property (except for the platforms), but noooo, they get all wild when you take a picture of a train. What, are the transit agencies gulity about the conditions of their buses and/or trains? I think so.

Well, go to the streets and try to photograph a metra train like vermont st.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I want to get the photo policy of CTA buses straightened out, and where can I get the most recent copy off the Internet? I am making this post because I was asked to stop taking photos and leave the terminal at Jefferson Park on Friday. I was appalled at this bus supervisor in that little booth between the two terminals, but I did as I was told. But then I thought, what is the real policy on taking pictures of buses in bus terminals? If anyone can iron this dilema out for all of us, then please, I need to know the real policy before I take action.

Ok, I want to get the photo policy of CTA buses straightened out, and where can I get the most recent copy off the Internet? I am making this post because I was asked to stop taking photos and leave the terminal at Jefferson Park on Friday. I was appalled at this bus supervisor in that little booth between the two terminals, but I did as I was told. But then I thought, what is the real policy on taking pictures of buses in bus terminals? If anyone can iron this dilema out for all of us, then please, I need to know the real policy before I take action.

The CTA photography policy is available on transitchicago.com.

I just finished reading the photographing policy and I must say it sounds very fair. BusExpert, did you report that bus supervisor? I would have. As long as it's a public area, CTA workers shouldn't say nothing about it.

As a matter of fact, I did report it yesterday to ctahelp@transitchicago.com. I hope that I will recieve an E-mail back soon.

• 3 months later...

The way that it was explaned to me was somthing like you can take pictures just not in areas that are offlimits or impeed the flow of people getting on and off the train also no flash is to be used and no pro stuff like trypods,telaphoto lens or pro video cameras and no pics of CTA personell .

The best bet is to just ask the personell on duty if you can, if the say yes do what thay say and if thay say no be nice an come back another day.

The big thing is NO FLASH becuse if the picture is of a train comming to the station the train opperator can be blinded by the flash and that will result in an crash.

If for some reason the use of "Pro Stuff" is to be used a permit must be filed.

Thank you for you time.

You still might want to consider the story (since removed) about the kid who was allegedly hassled by the CTA and CPD. Despite maybe acting within your rights, you have to consider whether you want to take that risk.

Well, go to the streets and try to photograph a metra train like vermont st.

When I photgraph or video Metra trains I go to the Gladstone Pk stop on the NW line. There is no one around, the stop is used very little, it is a part time stop, most trains that pss are run bys. And no metra personnell or cops to hassle you. Ive never had a problem at this stop. Good spot for video taking of Metra trains and the Blue line is just down the enbankment so I can get those too without anyone seeing you.

• 1 month later...

I got yelled at a few weeks ago when taking pictures of the last Blue Line from 54/Cermak. I stupidly forgot to bring a copy of the photography policy with me. Ohh well, once I was on the train I began taking pictures again.

has anyone been told to photograph elsewhere

has anyone been told to photograph elsewhere

I'd like to know myself, but I haven't even tried photographing buses and trains yet, since I'm too afraid to be bumped into trouble just for taking a picture, and then taken by officials and questioned. Originally I wanted to brave all those possible consequences and go remember the 6000s and 5300s tomorrow (Saturday), but now I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. :(