5800s Mid-Life Rehab

BusExpert32

What really irritates me is the 5800s mid-life rehab and how many buses recieved working digital destination signs. I've only seen one of these buses recently (#5852) and the digital destination sign wasn't even working on the front of the bus, but the side of the bus sign was working fine. And then I've seen numerous 5800s with the old led destination signs everywhere. What I really don't understand is why would the CTA only put the new signs on a only a few buses on such a small series as the 5800s. I mean there are 330 6000s, but all of thme recieved the digital destination signs.

Simple:

They are for one, going to be retried soon anyway.

Why spend the money when a whole new fleet of buses is coming?

They are so old parts and maintence are hard to keep up with, some of their new destination signs probably didn't work well.

They most likely only worked on the buses that really needed it. :(

There are alot of 6000s Flxible destination Signs that barely work or wouldnt change it to another destination which is why they uses those papers on the windshields for a correct destination. Like for example:

I've rode plenty of 6000s on #67 route that has #8 Halstead or #9 Ashland, thats probably why they didnt put the new LSD ones on the side and rear of 6000s.

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I was working the 606, while Inbound to Rosemont on my last trip I spotted CTA New Flyer #5858 on the back of a flatbed heading WB on the tollway. The bus looked beat up, its doors were open. It looks as if it hadant been driven in a long time, possibly in dead storage for a while.

This morning I was working the 606, while Inbound to Rosemont on my last trip I spotted CTA New Flyer #5858 on the back of a flatbed heading WB on the tollway. The bus looked beat up, its doors were open. It looks as if it hadant been driven in a long time, possibly in dead storage for a while.

Well, it's not being scrapped. Scrapping is done at 77th and Perry. This bus is most likely being shipped to New Flyer of America. Why? I don't know, but I presume it needs some more work than the CTA mechanics can provide(perhaps some new engine/tranny work?).

As of yesterday, there were two 5800 series at the scrapyard. Both looked as if there had been an engine fire. I believe one was 5842 but the other was too far back in the yard
Other one is 5853. Both have been out of service and were in the 78th and Perry yard for at least 10 years by now. 5853's fire was on Michigan Ave. and the news reports at that time mentioned a battery fire.

By mentioning a "scrapyard, " were you referring to a different yard?

Well, it's not being scrapped. Scrapping is done at 77th and Perry.

Scrap storage is at 77th and Perry. The buses are then sold to a scrapper and towed off-site. Metal Management (formerly Cozzi Bros.) at 95th & Ewing frequently gets scrap contracts. I also heard that Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville was getting some Flxibles, but that's unconfirmed. I believe there's also a scrapyard in Beloit, which could have been where the New Flyer was going.

Scrap storage is at 77th and Perry. The buses are then sold to a scrapper and towed off-site. Metal Management (formerly Cozzi Bros.) at 95th & Ewing frequently gets scrap contracts. I also heard that Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville was getting some Flxibles, but that's unconfirmed. I believe there's also a scrapyard in Beloit, which could have been where the New Flyer was going.

No wonder in Bensenville, I've saw an 1981 Flxible (Former Cincinnati (SORTA) was out there for sale.