Zero Hour Approaching

sw4400

The Unions have announced that Monday morning at 12:00a, all CTA bus and rail service will cease for one day. If they get no results from this 'Job Action', then they plan to authorize a possible strike to occur after the first of the year.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/cta.walkout.s...n.2.610344.html

I hope this will wake up those idiots in Springfield.

Guess not folks. The Sun-Times just reported that they are not walking. I see the same thing in a link to the Tribune on the home page.

However, as usual, I see the lack of logic in "we’re trying to give legislators the ample time that they claim they need to get this done" when they have had a year, including two extensions. There is still the claim that the negotiated contract award runs out in 17 days. Also, the union leaders talked to ministers, not legislative leaders. Maybe the union concurs with the CTA Board member who is waiting for divine intervention. Or, as trainman indicated, there is no unity in the union.

As I heard on WBBM-780am this morning, some ministers got the Union leaders to change their mind... for now they say. But I remember they were talking full strike after January 1st sometime if nothing happens. And I can't blame them, they'll have lost their pensions and healthcare benefits by then without the bailout. How many here would want to work without a pension and benefits? I give the CTA full backing for a strike if that'll be what wakes up the Illinois Legislators to fixing this problem instead of acting like children who just want to take their balls and go home. It'll inconvience me, but since the entire city that relies on Public Transportation will also be inconvienced, as well as PACE and Metra riders(the CTA Unions were requesting that they partake in the 'Job Action' originally planned for Monday) if the Union asks them to partake in the strike and they agree to. This'll allow the riding public to vent all their frustrations to Mayor Daley, the city Alderman, Gov. Blagoevich, and the suburban leaders if PACE and Metra join the strike that is still planned for some point after January 1st.

Anyone else think that this the absolute only way that the Legislators and the Govenor will get a solution passed for the CTA, Metra, and PACE?

And I can't blame them, they'll have lost their pensions and healthcare benefits by then without the bailout. How many here would want to work without a pension and benefits?
That isn't what is at stake. The pensions are guaranteed by the Illinois Constitution, Art. XIII sec. 5. Theoretically the agreed resolution to the arbitration makes the plans solvent by increasing payroll deductions to the level recommended by the Auditor General, leading Mayor Daley to say repeatedly that the drivers have given back with no response from the legislature. Thus, as far as pensions and benefits go, the workers would be better off if they let the arbitration settlement lapse and let the arbitrator impose a settlement similar to the last one, when the CTA complained that the arbitrator didn't listen to Kruesi's side.

The real stake is that if doomsday happens, 2400 get laid off. That would seem to be of more immediate concern to the union.

Also, as I previously mentioned in connection with the Pace strike, the Railway Labor Act probably precludes train employees from walking, especially those employed by UP and BNSF, as opposed to those employed by NIRCRC (Metra's legal name).

Also, as I previously mentioned in connection with the Pace strike, the Railway Labor Act probably precludes train employees from walking, especially those employed by UP and BNSF, as opposed to those employed by NIRCRC (Metra's legal name).

Strike can happen in railroad terms. However, cooling off periods and government intervention would take any thunder away. The real reason you would not see a organized Metra walk is that there is an agreement in the CBA that keeps it from happening. Also, it was never discussed in the Metra ranks, so any talk of joining the CTA in sympathy is unfounded. But...never discount 20 or 30 people blu fluing at any given time (heck, conductors do that daily anyway)...enough to disrupt and confuse.

Local 241 and 308, what a joke! These two unions are an embarrasment. Why in hell are they now involving ministers now to solve the transit crisis. These ministers have no business involving themselves in this, this a state issue let the state handle it. Adding people who have nothing to do with what is trying get accomplished is only going to complicate matters. This union makes me sick. They are a bunch of sellouts that dont have the guts to stage a one day walkout! Now the talk is Jan 20th for a strike , YEAH RIGHT!!!! ATU is a joke and a sellout. CTA OPERATORS, DUMP ATU !!!! GET THE TEAMSTERS TO REPRESENT YOU!!!

The ministers' role changes from newscast to newscast. (I don't know if this is attributable to them or the news media). They are claimed to be mediators or trying to get their congregations to write their legislators (2 years of those campaigns show their futility). Channel 11 characterized them as talking the union off the ledge. There is also flack about the ministers mentioning the effect on minority communities, but doomsday would have the least effect there (depending on how you define minority, but most of the proposed cuts are on the north side and rush hour routes). Maybe it was in reference to a system-wide strike, but then that doesn't discriminate.

I don't know anything about internal union politics, but my impression was that to maintain credibility, a union has to back up its militancy. The guy from Local 308 has been able to get himself on the news a lot, but doesn't seem to be able to fulfill his promises or threats (depending on how you view them). There hasn't been any sign in the news reports of the president of Local 241.

One thing that seems a virtual betting lock: There won't be a solution in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Channel 7 has a report that the legislative leaders are not moving to a solution (to say the least). This story doesn't mention how Hendon sabotaged the last talks. It does, however, explain why the gas sales tax swap isn't going anywhere.

For the bus fan, at least Channel 7 has new videotape of 1200s on Roosevelt (at least I saw it on the 6 and 10 p.m. reports).

And for the Simpsons viewers: Someone should tell Barbara Flynn Currie that there is a difference between Springfield and Capital City. :lol: (I remember, sw questioned my last bunch of Springfield references.)

Channel 7 has a report that the legislative leaders are not moving to a solution (to say the least). This story doesn't mention how Hendon sabotaged the last talks. It does, however, explain why the gas sales tax swap isn't going anywhere.

For the bus fan, at least Channel 7 has new videotape of 1200s on Roosevelt (at least I saw it on the 6 and 10 p.m. reports).

And for the Simpsons viewers: Someone should tell Barbara Flynn Currie that there is a difference between Springfield and Capital City. :lol: (I remember, sw questioned my last bunch of Springfield references.)

Im sick of this pathtetic cast of characters involved in this. Rickey Hendon!, Give me a break! He just enjoys throwing around the racism issue as he does in all of his appearances, Jesse Jackson, A bunch of South Side ministers who have nothing to do with this issue causing ATU Locals 241 and 308 to sell out on its employees. This is sickening at the manner in which this transit crisis is being handled. We'll see when January 20 comes at how mishandled this whole crisis was! Thank this whole pathetic cast of characters oh, and not to mention the already pathetic group of people in Springfield. Our Springfield should be renamed the "Simpsons Springfield" because of how brain dead everyone seems to be about this starting with Blago. Sorry if I speak my mind about this but it just makes me sick.

Why in hell are they now involving ministers now to solve the transit crisis. These ministers have no business involving themselves in this, this a state issue let the state handle it.

The ministers are only involved because the people who attend their churches probably need bus service.

The ministers are only involved because the people who attend their churches probably need bus service.

Thank you, Im really about to get a car with my tax money just in case of January 20 proposal, Im sick and tired of this "small Town" bus service issue with funding. But for now in this past year since I've lost my car from an accident in August 2006, I have no choice but need a CTA service to my church, it takes an hour and half to get there and back, I have to catch bus from Jackson Park to Green Line or Red Line to get to #66 Chicago or #85 Central to my Church at Destiny Worship Center on Chicago Ave/ Central Ave.

I will state again, please realize, this situation will not get resolved until there is a total meltdown, if then. There was a wonderful piece in (I believe) Monday's Sun Times, which basically outlined what I have been saying for months. It noted the fact that a number of people questioned believed this problem was more CTA mismanagement than Springfield bafoonery. January 20 will happen, and it should have happened on September 20. Lets face it....Springfield has no more money than any of these agencies have and that is becoming more and more clear. Panic has to set in before anybody realizes the importance of what is at issue here. As far as the pols are concerned (and that includes all of the transit board leaders) it is secondary. The union needed to stand firm to show what would happen if there was a meltdown. They wimped out. The CTA keeps saying they will cut, but they never do (for whatever reason). Downstate has had enough of the shenanagans of Chicago and they will not give in. How many times can you cry wolf and still have anybody believe you.

Let me give you a Metra example. They claim that this new "Sunrise Express" on the UP North Line has been a suceess. They received about 500 million dollars to start up this service. From what I can make of this, Metra has pocketed at least 200 million dollars on this thing. How do I figure. Easy. The crews are already there and getting paid. Additional cost -0-. Equipment...already there, just moved around..no cost for new. Cost -0-. Fuel. Well here using the formula of 4 gallons to the mile, this plans out to about 60 additional miles...so that would account for about 240 or so gallons of fuel (very conservative) at 4.00 per gallon (again probably over budgeting) for a total of $960 per day. The train operates about 250 days per year. That calculates to about $250,000 annually. Metra recieved about $500,000 for the service. The way I see it that means they pocketed about $250,000 from the government for the service. That doesn't include the fares they will collect from CTA overflow and the overinflated price I accounted for for fuel. Yet they will have you believe they are in a cash crunch. I don't think so.

The Sun Times also noted that a large number of people questioned stated that the CTA management is at fault, or should I say mismanagement, is at fault and not the government. CTA prez Huberman says they have support of the riders and that their pols indicate riders disagree and that the government is at fault. Horsepuckey !!!!!

Again, I will say...meltdown must happen for CTA and Pace to survive in there current state. Metra doesn't need the money...they are there with their hands out, because it is the in thing to do. And it seems that the lawmakers are starting to see that line of thinking and are not about to cough up the cash. Expect a meltdown of some sort...then we shall see if the pressure that is created by this meltdown will rattle the brass. My guess, the north end of the state, yes...the south end no, unless they get something out of it. The Mayor can cry all he wants, but until there is equity in the distribution of State money, don't count of local transit getting anything.

Let me give you a Metra example. They claim that this new "Sunrise Express" on the UP North Line has been a suceess. They received about 500 million dollars to start up this service. From what I can make of this, Metra has pocketed at least 200 million dollars on this thing. How do I figure. Easy. The crews are already there and getting paid. Additional cost -0-. Equipment...already there, just moved around..no cost for new. Cost -0-. Fuel. Well here using the formula of 4 gallons to the mile, this plans out to about 60 additional miles...so that would account for about 240 or so gallons of fuel (very conservative) at 4.00 per gallon (again probably over budgeting) for a total of $960 per day.
While I agree with most of the rest of what you said, I doubt that there was a crew ready to report at 4 a.m. in Waukegan to make the new 4:20 run. Also, there are apparently restrictions on the hours railroad employees can work.

In any event, since the line is operated by UP and not NICRC employees, the real question is how much UP charged to run it. UP probably charged for depreciation to its track, extra insurance (don't forget Rachel Barton) and the like. Also, while I doubt that stations were opened and thus that the agents woke up that early, that is a possibility.

qwantae: The 63, 66, and 85 buses, and the L aren't on the list. One could go to the Church of No L at 63rd and Dorchester, but I guess I shouldn't mess with one's religion.

While I agree with most of the rest of what you said, I doubt that there was a crew ready to report at 4 a.m. in Waukegan to make the new 4:20 run. Also, there are apparently restrictions on the hours railroad employees can work.

In any event, since the line is operated by UP and not NICRC employees, the real question is how much UP charged to run it. UP probably charged for depreciation to its track, extra insurance (don't forget Rachel Barton) and the like. Also, while I doubt that stations were opened and thus that the agents woke up that early, that is a possibility.

There would be no new crew...the job would probably be combined with one that was already being worked. There would no additional manpower needed. RR workers can work up to 16 hours as long as there is a continuous 4 hour break someplace in there. All that would need to be done is to combine the couple of hours into a shorter job. From that the labor cost is minimal (certainly not $200,000). The stations would not need to be opened...tickets would be purchased on the train, if necessary...and down the line agents would probably get there at their regular time and meet the train anyway...again, no monumental labor cost. As for what the UP is charging, they would probably get their share, but they get that back in track maintenance, which is already being paid for, and I would bet there is a provision in the contract for additional service. No, I think Metra made out on this one.

But the point is that it is a UP crew on UP track. Thus, the only relevant question is what the UP charged. There probably is a provision in the contract for additional service, but you don't state what price the contract provides for it. Pace feeder contracts also say (based on having downloaded the Wheaton request) that Pace will agree to equitable adjustments if service changes are made, and service changes requiring extra equipment or personnel will be implemented only after entering into a separate agreement as to the proper compensation to be paid to the contractor. Hence, you can be sure that UP didn't implement the extra run for free or anything close to it.

Again, while we don't know what the cost of the supplemental UP/Metra contract was, I also suppose that UP threw in the cost of switchmen, or the marginal load placed on the control center (however trains are switched these days) since most of the North line (at least south of Lake Bluff) does not handle freight.

To get this a little more on topic, I replied elsewhere that the success of the UP Sunrise train will be questionable after Jan. 20 if Pace cancels the 574 bus from Lake Forest to Conway Park and the 628 from Braeside to Deerfield. Of course, I suppose Pace could say to park its van at the station, but I doubt that it will happen.

A little more on the legislative background. Since Letterman is on reruns until Jan. 2, I was watching Illinois Lawmakers on Channel 11, and since it is produced in Springfield, had on mostly downstate legislators. The gist of the comments was:

• We wanted electric rate relief, and passed it [not mentioned, after holding up all other major legislation until July to negotiate that], but now the electric companies want to raise rates more than enough to negate it.
  • Upstate's problem similar to the electric rate one is the CTA/RTA, but the governor's plan to divert the gas sales tax blows a $400 million hole in the budget, and there is already a $1.2 billion structural deficit.
  • In any event, we aren't voting for transit until we get a capital bill, but we don't see how it is to be funded, and we don't trust this governor handling the $4 billiion that would be appropriated.
  • They say that gambling is the only way to fund the capital bill, but you can't trust that revenue stream and most of our constituents are in favor of abolishing it.
  • The last bail out came out of the Coal Development Fund [remember my references to "secret stashes," apparently the sources of the funds are now being disclosed], of concern to downstate, and with all the raids on the Highway Trust Fund, Pension Fund, and Coal Development Fund, we don't see how we can further support digging the state deeper into the hole.

Other than the downstate Republicans (but not Democrats) possibly being dealt out when a regular session requires only 60 votes, I really don't see the way out of this. However, if enough of the legislators believe that a capital bill must be passed before they consider a transit bill, the Illinois Constitution Art IX sec. 9 still requires a 3/5th vote to incur state debt.

To put this in a better thread:

Though Huberman is far from perfect, he has found some more efficient ways to use the money that's already at hand and is streamlining some operations in the main office. And he actually does use the service that he's in charge of providing.
Apparently true on the first count (at least the money appeared somewhere to do the work on the O'Hare Branch). However, Kruesi used the system, too. It was Carole Brown and the PR people who didn't. At least the difference in attitude was that Kruesi thought the suburbs owed the CTA something, while Huberman appears to be making an effort to run more efficiently.
And if doomsday does happen it will be because it will moreso be because of people in Springfield who have bloated salaries of their own and don't use public transit so thus continue to think they can get away with not taking the issue seriously. If they can't take it seriously then it's high time to vote the bums out, both Democrat and Republican, come November 2008.
Again, we'll need the recall. Most of the state legislators (at least in my part of the woods) are running unopposed. Also, most of them are listed as sponsors of some transit bill, so that doesn't accomplish much. See the post immediately above on the legislative background. While all should be skewered for not getting the job done in a timely manner, the voter doesn't have much choice. However, the situation has moved from the "click here to contact your legislator" mentality.

...Again, we'll need the recall...

Maybe true, maybe not. But, remember the City folk have decided to make this a state issue. There is more to the state that the city of Chicago, and most of these "flies in the ointment" are not from the Chicago area. Why should they continue to fund Chicago transit, have money taken from their programs, then try to answer to their constituents. Don't you think if someone from Collinsville voted to have their road money taken away that those in that area of the State would be yelping for the same type of recalls that many are screaming for here. I think so many people have lost a total perspective on the entire picture. I will continue to contend, as I have from the start that this should not be a State, but a local issue...but should all involved continue to make it a State issue, be prepared to face the consequences that there is more at stake here than local transporation.

Apparently true on the first count (at least the money appeared somewhere to do the work on the O'Hare Branch). However, Kruesi used the system, too. It was Carole Brown and the PR people who didn't. At least the difference in attitude was that Kruesi thought the suburbs owed the CTA something, while Huberman appears to be making an effort to run more efficiently.Again, we'll need the recall. Most of the state legislators (at least in my part of the woods) are running unopposed. Also, most of them are listed as sponsors of some transit bill, so that doesn't accomplish much. See the post immediately above on the legislative background. While all should be skewered for not getting the job done in a timely manner, the voter doesn't have much choice. However, the situation has moved from the "click here to contact your legislator" mentality.

Carole Brown cant set an example and Huberman still has a lot to prove.

Carole Brown cant set an example ...
In fact Carole Brown has set the wrong example. Besides admitting that she rides the bus maybe once a month, she thinks her job is to be a cheerleader for funding. Otherwise, she takes her orders from Mayor Daley and exercised no independent oversight over the CTA as a board member (and said that her role on the RTA board was to be an advocate for the CTA, not to exercise any oversight there either).

I agree with trainman's point that it is mostly a city problem, not only because downstaters have their own interests, but because Daley put people like Brown and that preacher on the CTA Board to say "yes sir" to Kruesi and Huberman. Leonis and Zagotta, two gubernatorial appointees, seem to be the only ones (at least according to press reports) that appear to exercise directors' responsibilities.

The disagreement, of course, is the legal one that it takes state legislation to raise taxes or change the current structure. Of course, the legislature has proven that it can't do the latter effectively, and probably not the former, either.

... and Huberman still has a lot to prove.

Admittedly so, but he proved that Kruesi was incompetent and that all of the CTA apologists of that era were wrong.

In fact Carole Brown has set the wrong example. Besides admitting that she rides the bus maybe once a month, she thinks her job is to be a cheerleader for funding. Otherwise, she takes her orders from Mayor Daley and exercised no independent oversight over the CTA as a board member (and said that her role on the RTA board was to be an advocate for the CTA, not to exercise any oversight there either).

I agree with trainman's point that it is mostly a city problem, not only because downstaters have their own interests, but because Daley put people like Brown and that preacher on the CTA Board to say "yes sir" to Kruesi and Huberman. Leonis and Zagotta, two gubernatorial appointees, seem to be the only ones (at least according to press reports) that appear to exercise directors' responsibilities.

The disagreement, of course, is the legal one that it takes state legislation to raise taxes or change the current structure. Of course, the legislature has proven that it can't do the latter effectively, and probably not the former, either.

Admittedly so, but he proved that Kruesi was incompetent and that all of the CTA apologists of that era were wrong.

Carole Brown needs to get the boot! Huberman hasant proved anything yet in my opinion. Yes Kruesi certainly demonstrated his incompetence that is why Im not holding my breath with Huberman. Brown needs to go but of course if she gets the axe for not solving the transit crisis then guess who??? will stick their nose in?. We'll have another Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton circus. They will start their whining and crying to boycott the CTA and it will turn into an even bigger mess. They need to bring in outsiders with answers to solve the transit issue, people who "Know" what theyre doing and are competent, not political cronies.

Apparently true on the first count (at least the money appeared somewhere to do the work on the O'Hare Branch). However, Kruesi used the system, too. It was Carole Brown and the PR people who didn't. At least the difference in attitude was that Kruesi thought the suburbs owed the CTA something, while Huberman appears to be making an effort to run more efficiently.Again, we'll need the recall. Most of the state legislators (at least in my part of the woods) are running unopposed. Also, most of them are listed as sponsors of some transit bill, so that doesn't accomplish much. See the post immediately above on the legislative background. While all should be skewered for not getting the job done in a timely manner, the voter doesn't have much choice. However, the situation has moved from the "click here to contact your legislator" mentality.

That was my point that the CTA board didn't use public transit. But now that Carole Brown has started using the 157 which is also on the cut list. she is at least getting some idea of what a lot of riders are facing. How big an idea is still up for question.

As for our legislators, Rickey Hendon has been running unopposed for years but not this year. There's at least two who showed interest in challenging in the primaries next month, if last month's news story about the two who were dispute over whether one sabotage the other's intended bid is any indication. One of them has actually filed the paper work to be on the ballot apparently. I'm ecstatic. I've been hoping for someone to run against this bum for years. Now it's just a matter of whether the rest of the black people living in my community can get past supporting supporting a candidate just because he share's the same skin color like I've learned to do. So what the other guy is white and I'm black, but if he can convince me he can do better for the community than Hendon, he has my vote. Same thing for my representative in the state House. He has some competition for the first time in a long time as well.

This giving support because of skin color is part of the mentality that helped Todd Stroger get elected with his overwhelming support in the city. In the surburban areas of Cook County he was trounced. And look at the mess Stroger has Cook County in now. The county is basically screwed because of black politicians sending their generals out into the black communities telling them that John Stroger's primary opponent, Forrest Claypool wouldn't look after their communities as much as the elder Stroger and later Todd Stroger would. Let alone the question over Todd's experience in government given his status of just completing his one and only term in Chicago's City Council at the time when he was put on the ballot to replace his dad.

This whole mess has changed my political thinking somewhat. As a lifelong Democrat I'll still be leaning in that direction on a national level. However on the state and local levels, I'm going to be more of an independent. At least we can say our national representatives of both parties from Illinois have been getting it done for the homefront to some degree.

There's one thing all lesiglators should also consider, both Downstate and Chicago. While they're all squabbling like children for various reasons, they are endangering capital funds on the national level. It's been reported in the SunTimes, if I'm not mistaken, and I think the RedEye that Illinois stands to lose $1.5 billion in capital funds for Metra's Star Line proposal and capital projects among the other transit agencies. The FTA has said that until the Illinois legislature can get its act together and appropiate the proper matching funds, that money will be put on hold. The federal government is not going to have unlimited patience like the state thinks everyone else has. If they keep up this nonsense that money will just go to another state.

If a few hundred million dollars doesn't light fire under their rears, maybe the prospect of endangering one and a half BILLION will. But their behavior for yesterday's special session doesn't leave much hope of that.