F40C

rmadisonwi

I haven't seen anything (then again, I haven't really looked) about F40Cs being put back in service, but 611 was leading the 4:16 pm train to Deerfield this afternoon.

It was a double-header with MP36 #419 trailing.

It was believed that when the FC40C's were retired that the 2 Metra still had would be

somewhat rehabbed and held onto for spares. It is possible there is a shortage and

one of the 2 were put in service. That would not be a normal double header trip, though,

so you really did see something special!!!! In fact, that equipment would make that trip

to Deerfield and back, then go to Grayslake and back, and finally end up in Fox Lake

around 12:15am. That is a lot of miles and fuel for a train in MU status.

(side note: double headers out of town are usually a spare should something break down

at an outer yard. If it happens, they take the "protector" off the train that is doubled and

couple onto the bad equipment and run that in double (or MU as it is known) status.)

• 4 months later...

On friday May 1st, was on NCS 111 leaving Union at 4:58 PM Gate 11. As depatring couple doors left saw 611 in operation perhaps on a west line run. Nice to see again. I was in car behind engine 212 which car and engine were looking pretty rough. Can't emember car #. It might of been an early 8200 series. A/C motor was too loud and 212 appeared to be putting out a lot of black soot in the air.

P.S. May 9th is railroad appreciation day. Big shindig at union with exibits, food, and music. I'm trying to get out of work to attend. Hope 2 c u there !

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had to go downtown.... Rode NCS 118 arriving union bout 6:48 PM. Figured I'd play with my camera phone. Squeezed a quickie of Pace Northwests backdoor. No big whoop. But what caught my eye was what was at gate 3 when we pulled into Union on 5.... Saweeeet!

post-437-1242099256_thumb.jpg

post-437-1242099268_thumb.jpg

post-437-1242099277_thumb.jpg

post-437-1242099288_thumb.jpg

Today I had to go downtown.... Rode NCS 118 arriving union bout 6:48 PM. Figured I'd play with my camera phone. Squeezed a quickie of Pace Northwests backdoor. No big whoop. But what caught my eye was what was at gate 3 when we pulled into Union on 5.... Saweeeet!

I am wondering if they are using that as the night protector engine. Usually they take an

engine down from the yard after rush hour to have on hand downtown should something

go bad. That engine would normally be parked about where you took the pic of 611. I know

some of the 400's have been sent to 47th street for some work, so it is possible there is

a bit of a power shortage there and therefore has brought 611 out of mothballs.

611 and 614 have been in regular service for almost a month now. I'm told it's because of a temporary power shortage while some other F40s go through rehab. I haven't done enough research of my own to verify that as the reason they're back in service, but I do know that 611 has been running since late March (started out as the second unit of a double-header, then the lead unit, then it ran solo), and 614 came out about two weeks later.

611 and 614 have been in regular service for almost a month now. I'm told it's because of a temporary power shortage while some other F40s go through rehab. I haven't done enough research of my own to verify that as the reason they're back in service, but I do know that 611 has been running since late March (started out as the second unit of a double-header, then the lead unit, then it ran solo), and 614 came out about two weeks later.

It makes sense. I occasionally see the notes about sending power to 47th street for work. I know at least 2 of the MP36's (419 and 424) have seen time there recently. They are always moving something there for work....and that includes all of the lines (BN and UP included). There could just be a barrage of bad stuff right now. Like I said, that pic above is where the night protector is usually parked at Union Station.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw 611 on the Milw N. at about 7 p.m. today.

BTW, MyPi in seems to be the only place in Northbrook where you can get an inside view of both Metra and Pace (such as it is there).

I saw it ealier in the day at Half Day Road northbound 'bout 2:40 pm-ish