Updates to Harrison

Zol87

I was wondering if the new Polk entrance that is currently being constructed at the Harrison stop will be accessible?

It will not be handicapped-accessible. Only one of the two stairways will be opened, and it will become a farecard-only auxiliary entrance/full-time exit with no Customer Assistant booth. In other words, a passenger who enters the Harrison station through the Polk auxiliary entrance must have already held a valid CTA pass or value stored in his/her Transit Card or Chicago Card in order to use the entrance. No vending machines will be provided; the passenger must use the main entrance at Harrison (which is currently in the process of having its escalator upgraded) to add value to a Transit Card or a Chicago Card.

I was wondering if the new Polk entrance that is currently being constructed at the Harrison stop will be accessible?

According to this story on the Huffingtonpost.com the new entrance is now open. There are a few pictures included of the station entrance as well. The only question I have is what is Dearborn station with an arrow at the Harrison stop mean?

According to this story on the Huffingtonpost.com the new entrance is now open. There are a few pictures included of the station entrance as well. The only question I have is what is Dearborn station with an arrow at the Harrison stop mean?
Since it looks like it is original tile work, it refers to Dearborn Station, which is about a block west. While it was once a steam railroad passenger station, it is now a remade flea market shopping building, mostly notable during the Printers' Row Book Fair. Advertisements for the railroads are still inside the building.

See the description of both, here.

The Dearborn Square development cuts it off from any rail tracks, today.

Since it looks like it is original tile work, it refers to Dearborn Station, which is about a block west. While it was once a steam railroad passenger station, it is now a remade flea market shopping building, mostly notable during the Printers' Row Book Fair. Advertisements for the railroads are still inside the building.

See the description of both, here.

The Dearborn Square development cuts it off from any rail tracks, today.

In the pre-Amtrak days I rode the Santa Fe railroad 's Texas Chief using the old Dearborn Station quite a few times.

Gene King

• 5 years later...

The Polk street entrance at Harrison/Red line is supposed to open in 3 days on the 26th. I wonder if they plan on having the trains stop further down the Harrison platform towards the Polk entrance after the 26th? I believe the station has space for 10 cars. I can't help but wonder if this is a dress rehearsal for possibly next years closures and rehab of Division,Chicago and Grand on the Blue line. They don't have a second entrance at those stations except maybe by closing off half the mezzanine they could keep them open? (They do have two stairwells) 42 days for each side, they could do all three stations in 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...