CTA5750 Photo Gallery

It seems all of us busfans on this site have a passion to share their photos with everyone here. And weve seen some really good photographs. Our guy 5307 has fascinated us recently with his historical collection. I would like to share some of my collection with my fellow busfans on this site. I hope you enjoy them. Here are some pics of my dad (r.i.p.) taken in Dec. 1973 and Jan. 1974. He began his career in CTA in Sept. 1972. He did operate the Marmon/Herringtons but I have no pictures of this. Here is a very brand new GMC #1434 and Flxible #3776. The turnaround looks like Fullerton/Central. You can see the old fareboxes, although they look brand new in these shots. The old uniforms, as a kid I remember trying to pick up that leather jacket, it weighed a ton! :) The Flxible has the old dest. roll sign, off center too!. :) Those pics were taken at North Ave. Garage. I still remember riding these buses with my dad when I was a kid. I love the shot of the front of old #1434. That bus looks mean! Like shes ready for battle against the notorious Chicago traffic!. :) I do have a pic of my dad with what appears to be an #8500 series Flxible in the shot, Ill try to locate it. I threw in a picture of me taken last week. More to Come....

post-158-1235676583_thumb.jpg

post-158-1235676755_thumb.jpg

post-158-1235676807_thumb.jpg

post-158-1235676857_thumb.jpg

post-158-1235676934_thumb.jpg

Nice photos! It was a better world back then... buses had character and color, not red white and blue box shaped crap we have now!

Youre certainly correct Eddie, they did have character, not much color. The buses looked so simple in design but awesome!. Just like our dads would tell us stories about the trolleys, propanes and trolley coaches. My dad had plenty to share with me about the trolley coaches. He told me he briefly drove some of the propanes, I remember him telling me once they were 8400s but I dont know what was assigned to North ave. at that time. The huge GMC fishbowl delivery was beginning. Maybe someone has a history of North Ave. in the late 60s early 1970s.

The overwhelming fleet at North Ave. in the late 60s would have been trolley buses.

The main propane routes were 70 (which went downtown at the time) and 73 (probably also 57). I seem to remember the really old propanes (5000-5400s vintage), including riding a bus once on Armitage that the driver seemed to have to do weird things to restart it after every stop.

However, since I lived on the south side, I wouldn't have the recollections of the north to the same degree as the south.

Your pictures reflect after 1972, and probably after the Keeler barn was merged with North.

It seems all of us busfans on this site have a passion to share their photos with everyone here. And weve seen some really good photographs. Our guy 5307 has fascinated us recently with his historical collection. I would like to share some of my collection with my fellow busfans on this site. I hope you enjoy them. Here are some pics of my dad (r.i.p.) taken in Dec. 1973 and Jan. 1974. He began his career in CTA in Sept. 1972. He did operate the Marmon/Herringtons but I have no pictures of this. Here is a very brand new GMC #1434 and Flxible #3776. The turnaround looks like Fullerton/Central. You can see the old fareboxes, although they look brand new in these shots. The Flxible has the old dest. roll sign, off center too!. :) Those pics were taken at North Ave. Garage. I still remember riding these buses with my dad when I was a kid. I love the shot of the front of old #1434. That bus looks mean! Like shes ready for battle against the notorious Chicago traffic!. :) I do have a pic of my dad with what appears to be an #8500 series Flxible in the shot, Ill try to locate it. I threw in a picture of me taken last week. More to Come....

Is the 1st picture of the firefighter w/TRK 48 you? :mellow:

• 1 year later...

It seems all of us busfans on this site have a passion to share their photos with everyone here. And weve seen some really good photographs. Our guy 5307 has fascinated us recently with his historical collection. I would like to share some of my collection with my fellow busfans on this site. I hope you enjoy them. Here are some pics of my dad (r.i.p.) taken in Dec. 1973 and Jan. 1974. He began his career in CTA in Sept. 1972. He did operate the Marmon/Herringtons but I have no pictures of this. Here is a very brand new GMC #1434 and Flxible #3776. The turnaround looks like Fullerton/Central. You can see the old fareboxes, although they look brand new in these shots. The old uniforms, as a kid I remember trying to pick up that leather jacket, it weighed a ton! smile.gif The Flxible has the old dest. roll sign, off center too!. smile.gif Those pics were taken at North Ave. Garage. I still remember riding these buses with my dad when I was a kid. I love the shot of the front of old #1434. That bus looks mean! Like shes ready for battle against the notorious Chicago traffic!. smile.gif I do have a pic of my dad with what appears to be an #8500 series Flxible in the shot, Ill try to locate it. I threw in a picture of me taken last week. More to Come....

Man, your dad was lucky to drive those old CTA buses of the past! Especially #3776! The Flxibles, I remember riding those(3700s)when they were on 79th Street & State Street! He must have been proud to work for the CTA back then in 1972!

Nice photos! It was a better world back then... buses had character and color, not red white and blue box shaped crap we have now!

It was better with the "CTA green limousine" in the early days! But now, the times, they have been a-changin' with this red, white & blue!

Man, your dad was lucky to drive those old CTA buses of the past! Especially #3776! The Flxibles, I remember riding those(3700s)when they were on 79th Street & State Street! He must have been proud to work for the CTA back then in 1972!

I felt lucky to get to ride them with him! I wish I was old enough to have seen him drive the CTA trolley buses. Im lucky to have taken a video of him as recent as 1994 of him driving a GMC 5307 in service, #9631 on the #80 Irving Park. I treasure that video. It has the sounds those 5307s made, plus it makes a great reminder of my dad.

When did CTA get rid of the trolley buses? I saw a lot of them in Seattle when I was there in 2009.

March 1973

Routes and dates operated are:-

12 Roosevelt Trolleybus 5/24/53 to 1/13/73

47 47th Trolleybus 3/12/52 to 6/20/65

51 51st Trolleybus 6/20/48 to 6/20/59

52 Kedzie-California (63rd-Chicago on Kedzie, Chicago-Elston on California) Trolleybus 12/4/55 to 3/15/69

53 Pulaski Trolleybus 9/16/51, Bus 3/24/73

54 Cicero Trolleybus 11/25/51, Bus 3/24/73

55A Elston North of Lawrence: Trolleybus 7/1/30 to 1/20/51

55 Garfield-55th East of Cottage Grove: Trolleybus 6/20/48 to 6/20/59

65 Grand Trolleybus 12/16/51 to 1/15/73

66 ChicagoTrolleybus 5/11/52 to 3/26/67

72 North Trolleybus 7/3/49 to 3/23/73

73 Armitage Trolleybus 2/1/53 to 10/15/66

74 Fullerton Trolleybus 12/4/49 to 1/22/73

76 Diversey West of Logan Square: Trolleybus 4/17/30 to 6/19/55

77 Belmont Extension Trolleybus (77A) 5/30/31, Trolleybus 1/9/49 to 1/13/73

78 Montrose Extension Trolleybus (78A) 1/25/31, Trolleybus 4/19/48 to 1/13/73

80 Irving Park Trolleybus 11/7/48, Bus 1/13/73

• Upvote 1

I felt lucky to get to ride them with him! I wish I was old enough to have seen him drive the CTA trolley buses. Im lucky to have taken a video of him as recent as 1994 of him driving a GMC 5307 in service, #9631 on the #80 Irving Park. I treasure that video. It has the sounds those 5307s made, plus it makes a great reminder of my dad.

BTW, you remember the old 8400 CTA propane buses? Did your dad ever drive one of those? Or the 7400s from 1973? I don't know if you have his old CTA badge number. You can order vintage CTA badges from ebay Click here on Ebay to check them out.

BTW, you remember the old 8400 CTA propane buses? Did your dad ever drive one of those? Or the 7400s from 1973? I don't know if you have his old CTA badge number. You can order vintage CTA badges from ebay Click here on Ebay to check them out.

Unfortunately no, I dont remember the 8400s since I was born in 1971. I wish I was old enough to have experience them.

Unfortunately no, I dont remember the 8400s since I was born in 1971. I wish I was old enough to have experience them.

Most of them were on Downtown Shuttle (Kedzie garage) routes, such as 148 (Monroe Parking Garage) and 157. The end probably was during 1974.

One time when I rode them was about in 1972 when it was cheaper in the evening rush hour to go to the train station than from, so I hopped a 157 at Wacker and Randolph to the station to try to get to Michigan and Ontario, except that it barely got to the station and I had to transfer at Jackson to the follower. I don't think the driver was too happy.

Hi,

The above listing omitted two of the most important routes, and one minor one.

#81 Lawrence from 1951 to Dec 1969 - This was one of the heaviest trackless routes.

#85 Central from 1930 to Jan 1970 - This was arguably the most important trackless route in America,

because it was the pioneering high-volume route that proved trolley buses could handle

heavy passenger loads as well as, or better than streetcars. Transit executives from all over

North America came to see it in operation. It effectively started the trolley bus industry,

as we know it; prior to that only few cities experimented with small quantities of trolley buses.

The above 2 routes had to be converted so they could be re-routed into the new Jefferson Park Terminal.

# 86 Narragansett from early 1930's, I don't know the ending date.

Thanks,

Samana09

• Upvote 1

I was born in 1961 and as a young boy, I used to ride them, even to the Museum Of Science & Industry when they were on the #55 Garfield route. I also rode the 5500 and 8000 propanes, too.

I was born in 1961 and as a young boy, I used to ride them, even to the Museum Of Science & Industry when they were on the #55 Garfield route. I also rode the 5500 and 8000 propanes, too.

I wondered if someone had a pic of Flxible propane #8481. If anyone reading this has one, pls post it. Thx!

For 8400s, not very likely since 55 had generally 5500s and 8800s, at least in the late 60s. Also, 55 didn't become Garfield until the Dan Ryan rapid transit opened, in mid 1969. Until then, there was the 55 55th St. between the Museum and Morgan, and the 6 Garfield to downtown.

I remember, because I lived directly on 55th from 1968 to 1970, then a block away, and then again from 1974-1975.