CTA5750 Photo Gallery

BTW, you remember the old 8400 CTA propane buses? Did your dad ever drive one of those? Or the 7400s from 1973? I don't know if you have his old CTA badge number. You can order vintage CTA badges from ebay Click here on Ebay to check them out.

Northwest siders should also note that there were 8400's at Forest Glen and were all that ran on Harlem for many years. When the 1000's (GMC's) came, they were gone. It was weird to see full size buses (40 footers) on Harlem after that (at that time). Heading to the HIP meant a trip on an 8500 on Diversey and then an 8400 on Harlem.

Northwest siders should also note that there were 8400's at Forest Glen and were all that ran on Harlem for many years. When the 1000's (GMC's) came, they were gone. It was weird to see full size buses (40 footers) on Harlem after that (at that time). Heading to the HIP meant a trip on an 8500 on Diversey and then an 8400 on Harlem.

Ever rode the 8000-8498 CTA Propane Buses? They had an interesting motor! 79th Street had them,too!

The CTA retired the trolley buses in 1973! Since then, they've been replaced by diesels & propanes!

Are you sure it was'73... I remember a riding a trolley bus. The bus had died at an intersection and the driver went out and pushed...yes pushed (very lightweight... no big engine) thru the intersection and with a pole had to reattach the connection to the wire.

Are you sure it was'73... I remember a riding a trolley bus. The bus had died at an intersection and the driver went out and pushed...yes pushed (very lightweight... no big engine) thru the intersection and with a pole had to reattach the connection to the wire.

March 25, 1973 was the day trolley buses in Chicago ended. The last route being the #53 Pulaski.

Hi,

The above listing omitted two of the most important routes, and one minor one.

#81 Lawrence from 1951 to Dec 1969 - This was one of the heaviest trackless routes.

#85 Central from 1930 to Jan 1970 - This was arguably the most important trackless route in America,

because it was the pioneering high-volume route that proved trolley buses could handle

heavy passenger loads as well as, or better than streetcars. Transit executives from all over

North America came to see it in operation. It effectively started the trolley bus industry,

as we know it; prior to that only few cities experimented with small quantities of trolley buses.

The above 2 routes had to be converted so they could be re-routed into the new Jefferson Park Terminal.

# 86 Narragansett from early 1930's, I don't know the ending date.

Thanks,

Samana09

Thanks for the corrections. I missed those three looking through my historical route list.

Dates for these three routes are:-

81 Lawrence Trolleybus 4/1/51 to 12/13/69

85 Central Trolleybus 6/8/30 to 1/18/70

86 Narragansett Trolleybus 6/29/30 to 2/1/53

Alan

• Upvote 1

I have a VHS video entitled "Chicago Buses" It contains buses video from CTA,Pace and includes Milwaukee MCTS video. It has a cool 2 min segment entitled "Vintage Chicago Buses" That portion of the video contains Flxible propanes, vintage West Towns GM clip taken at Harlem/Lake. The video shows Flxible propanes in action, no sound at Clark/North with a #72 North trolley coach in view. It then shows a #77 Belmont Flxible crossing the bridge west of Western. The last clips show 8300 series propanes parked at Forest Glen, you can see an #8400 in the shot along with the new #1000 series GMCs with trolley wires overhead. You see a yellow painted GMC old look with the trolley poles. Really cool stuff!

Oh, yes! It was March 1973 when they were taken off the Chicago streets! Especially on the #12 Roosevelt route!

My dad was hired by CTA in Sept. 1972, six months before the end of trolley buses in Chicago. He began driving buses out of the now closed, North ave. Garage where the last trolley coaches were assigned. Nine of the total sixteen trolley bus routes that were established were assigned to North Ave. Garage. The other garages that had trolley buses were Kedzie and Forest Glen. Im not sure where the E. 55th st trolley route was assigned. As for 47th and 51st, I would imagine Archer, am I correct?

Im not sure where the E. 55th st trolley route was assigned. As for 47th and 51st, I would imagine Archer, am I correct?

According to books, the trolley bus route was 51st-55th (according to a picture in Lind, the East 55th bus was a gas bus, but then when 51 was converted to trolley bus, the interline was instituted), and, again, the track maps indicate trolley wire to Archer via Kedzie (page 340), just as Central appeared to be the main trolley feeder from both North Ave. and Forest Glen. 69th seemed to be pretty much streetcar (Ashland, Western, 63rd) until converted to propane bus in the mid 1950s (i.e. Lind states that the 59 gas bus was also from Archer; page 367).

I'm always surprised by U of C historical pictures, with 55th looking essentially like Lawrence, with stores and a trolley bus. The end of the 51 trolley bus seems to coincide with building the apartment towers in the middle of 55th, again, where I lived for about a year.

The absolute last day of revenue service was March 24, 1973, the last two routes (53 Pulaski & 54 Cicero) ended the same day,

but I can't tell you which one had the actual last bus.

Thanks,

Samana09

The absolute last day of revenue service was March 24, 1973, the last two routes (53 Pulaski & 54 Cicero) ended the same day,

but I can't tell you which one had the actual last bus.

Thanks,

Samana09

Further clarification of my answer above --- I should have said Saturday March 24, 1973 was the last full day of service.

Runs that pulled in after midnight caused the actual date to be Sunday March 25, 1973.

Thanks,

Samana09

Great pics! They bring back a lot of good memories. I started going to school downtown on 02/02/1970, the day after the Jefferson Park extension of the old Logan Square "L" opened. This daily commute from the NW side formed a lifelong interest in the CTA for me. I rode the Marmons on 77 Belmont, the 8500's on Addison, and I loved riding the 3700/3800's on the 151 Sheridan. They were pretty new then and they flew down the Outer Drive between North av and Fullerton. I really liked how they would hold first gear till about 30 mph and when they shifted to drive, they'd really move. I remember some had I believe what were fiberglass seats instead of the padded ones.

Didn't the CTA have a few fishbowls that were numbered in the 800 series around this time? I believe they had a/c and a 3rd gear for the highway. I seem to remember riding them on the 40 O'hare Express before they extended the "L" in the 80's.

Great pics! They bring back a lot of good memories. I started going to school downtown on 02/02/1970, the day after the Jefferson Park extension of the old Logan Square "L" opened. This daily commute from the NW side formed a lifelong interest in the CTA for me. I rode the Marmons on 77 Belmont, the 8500's on Addison, and I loved riding the 3700/3800's on the 151 Sheridan. They were pretty new then and they flew down the Outer Drive between North av and Fullerton. I really liked how they would hold first gear till about 30 mph and when they shifted to drive, they'd really move. I remember some had I believe what were fiberglass seats instead of the padded ones.

Didn't the CTA have a few fishbowls that were numbered in the 800 series around this time? I believe they had a/c and a 3rd gear for the highway. I seem to remember riding them on the 40 O'hare Express before they extended the "L" in the 80's.

Yes, the CTA did have a few fishbowls numbered in the 800 series! Remember the CTA Mack buses 7200-7299?

The 800s started on the 111AX Vincennes Express to downtown, then when the Dan Ryan L made that unnecessary, might have gone to 40, which would have been between 1970 and about 1973.

The first I saw them was in Evanston,* where they were numbered 1-5 (apparently 800 became 5 and the rest lost the first two digits).

After Evanston got its next set of buses, they went to 69th barn and resumed having their normal numbers.

*See also the thread on Renumbered Evanston Buses.

I remember the 800's at Jeff Park doing the 40. After a short while, they were replaced by some

type of 3000 series bus, that I believe, also had air in it...that is what they were trying to

accomplish with these buses on that route was the a/c. There were ads (car cards/route maps/newspapers)

for the 40 to the airport using a pic of the 3000 series in them. Those series of buses remained on the 40

until the 7900's came, and those were exclusive to the 40 for a long time...you didn't see them

on other FG routes for years. Eventually, that would change and the 7900s became essentially

just another series on any route (probably when the L got extended to River Road).

I remember the 800's at Jeff Park doing the 40. After a short while, they were replaced by some

type of 3000 series bus, that I believe, also had air in it...that is what they were trying to

accomplish with these buses on that route was the a/c. There were ads (car cards/route maps/newspapers)

for the 40 to the airport using a pic of the 3000 series in them. Those series of buses remained on the 40

until the 7900's came, and those were exclusive to the 40 for a long time...you didn't see them

on other FG routes for years. Eventually, that would change and the 7900s became essentially

just another series on any route (probably when the L got extended to River Road).

The only memory I have of the #800s was the one time I spotted, #804 on the #9 Ashland route at Cortland av. going SB back in the late 70s. I remember because I was riding with my dad that day who was working the #73 Armitage, driving a #1400 GMC. I remember thinking, what an unusual bus because it looked like a cross of a 5307 and 300 series bus. I asked my dad about it, he told me he never remembered seeing one of those buses before, he thought maybe it was a new bus! :)

This is a subject I love talking about, #40 OHarexpress bus!. As a transit crazy eight yr. old boy back in 1979, I lived near the Milwaukee/Western station, today's "Blue Line". My dad would take us for a day trip to OHare to watch the planes when the airport still had the outside observation deck. I remember riding #6000 series cars to Jeff. Pk. getting off and boarding the waiting bus to the airport aboard the #7900 series buses on the #40 O'Harexpress, including a very loud #7944, I thought that bus sounded so cool! as an 8 yr. old boy, little did I know it was a broken exhaust pipe! and that red #40 OHarexpress" mylar sign and how about that confusing routing that the buses had to take through the cargo area?. I remember the buses had to clear a manual gate to access the area. The buses would then return to the entrance ramp to 190 where International Terminal #5 is today. The return trip exiting at Lawrence ave. down Lipps into Jeff. Pk. Leaving Jeff. Pk. the bus would go NB on Milwaukee, NW Hwy, Foster passing underneath the CNW/ NW line onto the Kennedy entrance to the airport. For an 8 year old boy this was like taking a trip around the world! :) To this day I always found the #40 OHare route being one of the most interesting CTA bus routes because how it served the airport and cargo area from the far NW side. Seeing the airplanes up close was so interesting. I remember when we were leaving the airport, we were looking for those large orange bus stop signs that were placed throughout the main airport terminals. The stops featured a picture of a jet and a #3000 series Flxible bus. I was saddened when the OHare L extension was almost complete in 1984 and the #40 was relegated to local service between River Rd. and the airport, I knew then that the routes days were numbered. Even the mylar bus signs were changed from red to black. The route was now called "#40 OHare". until Sept. 3, 1984 when the final segment from Rosemont to the airport was opened for service. I remember I was excited about riding the train to the airport on the first full day of service in what were then still brand new #2600 series rail cars. But Ill never forget the old #40, it was an awesome route, I have to say my favorite CTA route! To this day I still miss it! :) One interesting sidenote about OHare bus service, I didnt know until a few years ago that at one time the airport was also served by the old Waukegan/North Chicago bus company. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that West Towns Bus co. also served the airport. I can only imagine how much more interesting the route was for both a CTA bus operator and passengers when it first began service from Logan Square station in 1970. I Think I wouldve loved to have been a bus operator driving the #40. That would have been my first pick! :) One question, what garage operated the service from Logan Square?

accomplish with these buses on that route was the a/c.

Bill V. has 3240-3244 also air conditioned, undoubtedly also for the 111AX first.

From Krambles's book, there was apparently some splitting of orders between GMC and Flxible at that time to keep GMC from protesting (i.e. the GMC 100s and Flx 8500s were delivered at about the same time).

I can only imagine how much more interesting the route was for both a CTA bus operator and passengers when it first began service from Logan Square station in 1970. I Think I wouldve loved to have been a bus operator driving the #40. That would have been my first pick! :) One question, what garage operated the service from Logan Square?

Since you say 1970, I tend to doubt that, as the Jefferson Park station opened in 1970. I have a 1969 Dan Ryan Edition CTA map, which shows a 19X from Logan Square to Canfield and Devon, taking essentially the same route as the current 56A, but no service to O'Hare. Bill V. has 40 starting 2/1/70 as from Jefferson Park to O'Hare.

BTW, I remember one time telling someone visiting me that I wouldn't drive to O'Hare, but I would pick them up at the Terminal Restaurant at Jefferson Park.

As far as West Towns, RTA made a big deal of inaugurating new routes such as 220 and 330. Bill V indicates that at some time 307 went up what now is 325 to O'Hare, and apparently that branch also went downtown (I remember seeing some 307s on Lake Street downtown in the mid 70s). In that 325 will revert to becoming a branch of something else, I guess what was old is new again.

• Upvote 1

It seems all of us busfans on this site have a passion to share their photos with everyone here. And weve seen some really good photographs. Our guy 5307 has fascinated us recently with his historical collection. I would like to share some of my collection with my fellow busfans on this site. I hope you enjoy them. Here are some pics of my dad (r.i.p.) taken in Dec. 1973 and Jan. 1974. He began his career in CTA in Sept. 1972. He did operate the Marmon/Herringtons but I have no pictures of this. Here is a very brand new GMC #1434 and Flxible #3776. The turnaround looks like Fullerton/Central. You can see the old fareboxes, although they look brand new in these shots. The old uniforms, as a kid I remember trying to pick up that leather jacket, it weighed a ton! smile.gif The Flxible has the old dest. roll sign, off center too!. smile.gif Those pics were taken at North Ave. Garage. I still remember riding these buses with my dad when I was a kid. I love the shot of the front of old #1434. That bus looks mean! Like shes ready for battle against the notorious Chicago traffic!. smile.gif I do have a pic of my dad with what appears to be an #8500 series Flxible in the shot, Ill try to locate it. I threw in a picture of me taken last week. More to Come....

5307-Was That Your Dad's CTA Badge Number?

Yes, the CTA did have a few fishbowls numbered in the 800 series! Remember the CTA Mack buses 7200-7299?

Yes, I do remember the Macks, they were running on the 85 Central during the 70's. I know they were old then but I never rode a bus with a bumpier ride then a Mack. I also remember riding the "new look" Flxible propanes, 8700-8850. Man, those things were sluggish! An 8500 felt like a rocket compared to one of the propanes!

Was oddball bus 8499 originally built with a "new look" front or was it converted? I read somewhere that is was originally propane powered but converted to a diesel, is this true?

Bill V. has 3240-3244 also air conditioned, undoubtedly also for the 111AX first.

Since you say 1970, I tend to doubt that, as the Jefferson Park station opened in 1970. I have a 1969 Dan Ryan Edition CTA map, which shows a 19X from Logan Square to Canfield and Devon, taking essentially the same route as the current 56A, but no service to O'Hare. Bill V. has 40 starting 2/1/70 as from Jefferson Park to O'Hare.

There is a 1965 system map on chicago-l.org that also shows the 19x. I bet that was a fun ride on the expressway.

Was oddball bus 8499 originally built with a "new look" front or was it converted? I read somewhere that is was originally propane powered but converted to a diesel, is this true?

All sources indicate that it was always diesel. Tom's TrolleyBus Pix has pictures of it before and after conversion of the front end. That's the only place I have ever seen documentation of the before. At least Bill V. says that it was a demonstrator for the 8500 series, but old look.

There is a 1965 system map on chicago-l.org that also shows the 19x. I bet that was a fun ride on the expressway.

I guess the expressways were less congested then than now, but what was more fun was riding the Dan Ryan L in the early days, and see the traffic all congested starting at about 47th due to the merge of the local and express at 69th and zipping past all that.

Yes, I do remember the Macks, they were running on the 85 Central during the 70's. I know they were old then but I never rode a bus with a bumpier ride then a Mack. I also remember riding the "new look" Flxible propanes, 8700-8850. Man, those things were sluggish! An 8500 felt like a rocket compared to one of the propanes!

The Oddball 8499 did have a propane bus body, but it was also diesel-powered! Did you know it was built in 1960?

• Upvote 1

Have you got a picture of it? I'll bet it was a metal version!

Here is a pic of my dad's badge #8581, along side mine as well as my current Pace uniform badge. For display only, I have my dad's puncher, his old watch and bus/rail keys. I keep them secured in a wooden case only for my dad's memoribilia.

post-158-12958336789224_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958347647044_thumb.jpgpost-158-12958369581157_thumb.jpg