Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

How many still active so far and Fleet numbers from those 4 garages (Academy, North, North Shore and Northwest?

Academy (8 left)

Nos. #2293, 2289, 2290, 2301, 2302, 2307, 2326, 2372, (2374).

Note: #2374 is still at Academy, but currently out of service. Its future is unknown at this point. It is very unlikely Academy will recieve any more Orions.

As far as what I saw in the South Holland Yard, and presumably dead, 2272, 2288 (?), 2318, 2323, 2330, 2346.

Previously on the for sale list or obviously dead: 2308, 2309, 2322, 2329, 2331, 2342, 2361, 2373, 2376.

No one here is in the secret cult of the Pace roster, and the 3 measures of what Pace has--the budget (70 left), on the street, and still having an inspection certificate don't match. For instance, 2292 was reported dead, but then I saw it in Naperville.

It also might give you some idea that when the buses in the 6156-6161 range were received about in 2004, Colonial got 2372-2377, and only one of those is left there.

As far as what I saw in the South Holland Yard, and presumably dead, 2272, 2288 (?), 2318, 2323, 2330, 2346.

Previously on the for sale list or obviously dead: 2308, 2309, 2322, 2329, 2331, 2342, 2361, 2373, 2376.

No one here is in the secret cult of the Pace roster, and the 3 measures of what Pace has--the budget (70 left), on the street, and still having an inspection certificate don't match. For instance, 2292 was reported dead, but then I saw it in Naperville.

It also might give you some idea that when the buses in the 6156-6161 range were received about in 2004, Colonial got 2372-2377, and only one of those is left there.

I remembered 2 years ago I've rode #2292 couple of times on #715 Du Page route.

I remembered 2 years ago I've rode #2292 couple of times on #715 Du Page route.

Those now are all ElDorados, but you should have added First Student-Westmont (Lisle contract) to those that had 35 foot Orion Is as last noticed.

• 1 month later...

Hey just FYI, yesterday I saw #2316 and #2317 at Naperville so at least both of those buses are still alive. Not sure why they are there with that area dominated with 2600s.

Orion #2316 was on our roster at Academy.

Hey just FYI, yesterday I saw #2316 and #2317 at Naperville so at least both of those buses are still alive. Not sure why they are there with that area dominated with 2600s.
Probably spares. One 5:56 or so run generally has an Orion I. As I previously noted, I saw 2292 there. At the beginning of Naperville service with 2600s, I saw 2318 there, but it is apparently now dead; 2316 was probably swapped.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on what 1993 Orion buses are still on the loose?

Academy we still have 35ft. #2289/2290 In the 40 footers, Nos.2293,2301,2326,2372,2374. Our recent casualty was #2307, its engine was taken out and installed in #2374.

Watching Webwatch today, it appears 2350-2370 are still alive too at the very least. They were all over the northwest suburbs routes during rush hour. Also Pace north still have some 2300s too, from 2330 to 2337? Maybe someone from North can confirm that. Maybe Academy will get the Novas after all once all the Orions are gone. They sure aren't needed SW anymore and the 3 that are at West could probably go too unless they were to be used on 747, 757 & 767.

• Upvote 1

Watching Webwatch today, it appears 2350-2370 are still alive too at the very least. They were all over the northwest suburbs routes during rush hour. Also Pace north still have some 2300s too, from 2330 to 2337? Maybe someone from North can confirm that. Maybe Academy will get the Novas after all once all the Orions are gone. They sure aren't needed SW anymore and the 3 that are at West could probably go too unless they were to be used on 747, 757 & 767.

Sure would like to see your prediction for Academy come true! I would love for the Novas to be sent to us. Those for me are my favorite buses, its basically a reincarnated GMC fishbowl. Id like to see at least four or five Novas make it to Academy, we need more 40 footers. But I think the reality will be that Pace will just junk them since they seem to be a maintenance headache according to mechanics and not to mention are now past their FTA service life, plus Pace's recent decision to order/operate only 30 foot buses. In addition, the planned move of United Airlines from their headquarters on Algonquin Rd. to downtown Chicago will have an effect on ridership on the #606, buses on the #606 route may be reduced to all 35 footers. Academy may possibly operate with 35 ft buses indefinitely. At Academy it has been practice to replace an aging Orion 40ft with a newer 35ft Nabi. It would be a nice surprise though!

I'm hoping for you CTA5750, but you may end up being right. The Novas may be junked. Once upon a time when there were a bunch of long distance express routes, they were the best things out there. Now that most of them are gone, they don't know where to put them so they just show up wherever they can fit in. Plus the seats are more comfortable now on the newer Nabis, further making it hard for the Novas to stay. I saw one the other day SW where the destination sign didn't work, had the route number on the front window. Seriously doubt Pace will fix that. And I didn't even think about the United move. 30 will be the new 40 on probably half of Pace's system in a couple of years (footers that is). But hey, ya never know.

In addition, the planned move of United Airlines from their headquarters on Algonquin Rd. to downtown Chicago will have an effect on ridership on the #606...

Probably also makes 637 out of NW unnecessary, too. Originally, it also had some Novas.

There was actually a Eldorado on the 637 on Webwatch yesterday along with an 2000 Orion so I know it'll be a matter of time before that route will be all Eldos. I used to work in Wood Dale, right on the route. It used to be a heavy route at times, but companies have either moved or laid people off in the area so the demand isn't that good anymore. Sign of the times.

I'm hoping for you CTA5750, but you may end up being right. The Novas may be junked. Once upon a time when there were a bunch of long distance express routes, they were the best things out there. Now that most of them are gone, they don't know where to put them so they just show up wherever they can fit in. Plus the seats are more comfortable now on the newer Nabis, further making it hard for the Novas to stay. I saw one the other day SW where the destination sign didn't work, had the route number on the front window. Seriously doubt Pace will fix that. And I didn't even think about the United move. 30 will be the new 40 on probably half of Pace's system in a couple of years (footers that is). But hey, ya never know.

What Im hoping is that we will get some 40 footers on the #606 for riders to Woodfield Mall. Because the Orions are older and in more decrepit condition, Im hoping Pace will retire the remaining buses from us and Pace NW and send us a few Novas. If it were me, Id love to have all 20 Novas sent to Academy. United's recent plans to move downtown may have sealed the fate of Academy getting anymore 40ft buses. I think the Orion Is have to be retired soon, they are in bad shape, the Novas are probably in a little better condition. What Im hoping is that since the Orions lasted well past their service life maybe the Novas will be around for a while longer ending at Academy. I always think about when Im coming into work one day and finding one or two Novas parked in our yard. Or given instructions by my supervisor to take a bus to a garage and bringing back a NovaBus. :)

As I mentioned, I went to South Holland, and no indication of newly retired Orions there. However, since retired buses have, in prior RFPs, been sold from the particular garages, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Returning from Joliet, there were the usual Orion Is at Clarendon Hills and Westmont, and nothing seems missing from NS or NW yet.

Strange that 2297 showed up in Waukegan (you usually think contractors are the end of the road).

post-14-12518988761463_thumb.jpg

Also, in related interest, 6624 from Joliet to Waukegan

post-14-12518990566566_thumb.jpg

6666 from Joliet to West

post-14-12518991049721_thumb.jpg

and finally 6630 from Elgin to West, indicating (with 6661 seen at North) that no more NABIs at River

post-14-12518991637303_thumb.jpg

Something tells me those Eldos are heading to Joliet and the Nabis will head to Waukegan to take out the rest of the Orions up there. I've seen a few Orions on Webwatch at Waukegan, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2330-2339 I think. 2297 is an oddball.

I did rode 2297 on #606 last year ago, It rides pretty crabby at the time.

As for Joliet, It would be unfair to see Eldorados on fewer busy routes like 501 and 507, I hope that they'll keep least 5 of NABIs for those routes.

Something tells me those Eldos are heading to Joliet and the Nabis will head to Waukegan to take out the rest of the Orions up there. I've seen a few Orions on Webwatch at Waukegan, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2330-2339 I think. 2297 is an oddball.

When we had #2297, in my opinion it rode and drove terrible, I cant believe it is still running.

Virtual proof that another of the 662xs is out of Joliet.

post-14-12519844879102_thumb.jpg

Also, when you look around Waukegan, there is a large number of Orions on 566 and 569 at 8 am, but those routes become empty soon thereafter. Must be a result of the school trippers. But the Orion Is are still around there.

Those Orions are probably there for 1 reason, the school trippers. You'll see them again around 2pm or so. I wonder how crowded those buses are around those times. There are several 662x out of Joliet up in the far north suburbs, particularly the Metra feeder routes.

The school trippers are pretty much full. Mainly serve the Waukegan West HS which are sole provider for high school. Later you can find the 662x busses flying down rt 43/Waukegan RD to 10th street garage.