Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

According to the Pace minutes, "Mr. Ross responded that the South buses are only 10 years old whereas the North and Southwest [sic] buses are 18 years old. South Division is currently receiving engine retrofits on many of their ten year old buses."

Now, if IIRC, South has about 21 of the ten year old buses, while North has 30. So, if we assume that Mr. Ross knows what he's talking about ;), maybe the garage banter is about them. Not that it makes much sense to be replacing engines on buses that have 2 more years left on their FTA service life, unless Pace now thinks it will be stuck with them for awhile. Also, it doesn't appear like DD makes the 92 series any more.

Just saying.

Usually a bus sent to us is placed in service within two to three days. They arrive with fareboxes but minus the farecard machine. The farecard machine is installed by Colonials own mechanics. Bus #6249 should be put in service any day now. Im curious to see what other 40ft. Nabis we get. Like I said before, we wont get the Novas but at least were still getting 40 footers. We were concerned that Route #606 would continue with 35ft buses indefinitely.

Virtual confirmation now available:

post-14-1257190691546_thumb.jpg

But now looking at Webwatch at 6:51pm, 6249 is not there. Was it out only during rush hour? That makes no sense to me; put out old Orions and leave the new Nabi in? Unless that bus had been running all day & it was time to turn it in.

I checked on it, it was interlined as a #600 outbound. If you dont see it on the #606, check Routes #600 or #616.

Once all the PACE markings are "blacked" out,those buses are to be scrapped. :angry:

3 NABIS(6251,6253)40 footers and NABI(6670)35 footer will be going to North Shore shortly.

If that's the case, I think this might be the end of the line for Novas 2396 and 2397, which are currently up there and running today on Webwatch. Better get on while you can.

If that's the case, I think this might be the end of the line for Novas 2396 and 2397, which are currently up there and running today on Webwatch. Better get on while you can.

You keep making assumptions without having the paperwork. Last week it was that all the remaining 6200s were going to Colonial. Maybe 2279 or 2346 are the next to bite it. Or 2282 and 2341. At this stage, one's guess is as good as another's.

In that something is currently on Webwatch, that probably indicates that it is not the next to go.

...NABI(6670)35 footer will be going to North Shore shortly.

I wonder if this makes sense, given that North Shore got rid of its 6600s to Joliet a couple of years ago. However, they might have a shortage for which the stimulus buses will not arrive in time to alleviate.

At least, if I see 6670 up here, I won't be surprised.

You keep making assumptions without having the paperwork. Last week it was that all the remaining 6200s were going to Colonial. Maybe 2279 or 2346 are the next to bite it. Or 2282 and 2341. At this stage, one's guess is as good as another's.

In that something is currently on Webwatch, that probably indicates that it is not the next to go.

No I truly don't know, I'm just a bus fan. I don't work for Pace so I'm just guessing just as much as most everyone else. I just figured that since there are only a couple of Novas left at North Shore, they'd be gone. It could very easily be Orions that are next. I am surprised that 6251 & 6253 are heading up there when it was thought Academy were getting Nabis this week. We'll just let the Pace pros that have all the paperwork (like Pace834) let all of us know who's going where and who's biting the dust.

Nabi #6250 is currently operating on the #696.

So that makes three Nabi 40 footers at Academy so far.

So only 6255 and 6256 are still running in Joliet now. We'll see where they end up fairly soon. Oh by the way, I saw 6250 Sat on I-90 with a "Not In Service" dest. sign. I'm guessing it was heading to Rosemont to start a route, but it was interesting that the Joliet Jackhammers ad is still on the outside of the bus. Wonder when they'll get it off.

I was in Naperville today and noticed Orion 2298 running route 675 today. That's a bus I didn't know was at Naperville First Student. So there are more old skool Orions there than I thought because that's the same route I saw 2305 running about 3 weeks ago and I know that's a route that requires at least 2 buses during rush hour.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I was hanging around the Naperville train station around 6pm watching all the Eldos come and go. Was hoping to see an Orion show up and 1 did, but not the one I expected. 2274 showed up running the 685. Wasn't that bus formally at 1st Student Westmont?

Yep. However, there probably isn't much difference between First Student Westmont and First Student Naperville, except, perhaps, Pace paperwork.

In that Westmont lost 822, not necessarily surprising.

I have been told by a couple North Drivers that 2335 is gone, as is 2314. Glad 2335 is gone - good riddance to bad trash, it gave the Orions a bad name. Slowest. Bus. Ever. :lol:

What seems interesting, is that 2297 seems to keep coming back. What I have been told, is that it will be out back, then gone, then back, and so forth.

anyone know of bus 2302? From my understanding, Pace North got it as a parts bus, but was never on the road up here as such.

I have been told by a couple North Drivers that 2335 is gone, as is 2314. Glad 2335 is gone - good riddance to bad trash, it gave the Orions a bad name. Slowest. Bus. Ever. :lol:

What seems interesting, is that 2297 seems to keep coming back. What I have been told, is that it will be out back, then gone, then back, and so forth.

anyone know of bus 2302? From my understanding, Pace North got it as a parts bus, but was never on the road up here as such.

When we had #2297, it ran fairly well, I remember it breaking down a couple times. I thought #2302 went to South Holland.

When we had #2297, it ran fairly well, I remember it breaking down a couple times. I thought #2302 went to South Holland.

I agree, I did rode #2297 on Route 606 right before it got transferred to North, it also ran pretty fast on I-90 on towards Rosemont.

I've been meaning to post this since last week and am just now posting it...lol. Here are the 1993 Orions that according to Webwatch is still active. This doesn't include the contractor routes in Lisle/Naperville or the ones that may still be in Waukegan running the school routes. They will be out of order:

2278, 2279, 2280, 2281, 2284, 2285, 2290, 2293, 2303, 2368, 2378, 2339, 2344, 2324, 2347, 2370, 2358, 2321, 2350, 2352, 2355, 2369, 2367, 2360.

Feel free to let everyone know if/when buses are retired or if there are others I may have missed, but again this is according to Webwatch and who knows if it's right without physically seeing them.