Metra 553, 555

ibebobo

Does anyone know where either 553 or 555 went? I'm not sure which one is still used on the UP North but where did the other one go to?

Thanks!

Both of those are actually privately owned. I can check on the number of the one I know is still out there the next time I get to Ogilvie. To ride in those cars, you need special/private access. It is possible that the second car you speak of is not in service, either because the owner doesn't want to pay to have it be part of a train, or it could just be out of service for repairs. As far as I know, there is only one private coach still running on the UP North at this time.

• 9 years later...

I recently moved into an apartment in River North with a great view of the UP North line.  I thought I saw 553 or 555 painted in the original yellow and green colors and now I can't seem to see that train in the AM or PM, although I don't know which train it is.  Anyone have an update?

On 4/21/2009 at 9:28 PM, trainman8119 said:

Both of those are actually privately owned. I can check on the number of the one I know is still out there the next time I get to Ogilvie. To ride in those cars, you need special/private access. It is possible that the second car you speak of is not in service, either because the owner doesn't want to pay to have it be part of a train, or it could just be out of service for repairs. As far as I know, there is only one private coach still running on the UP North at this time.

The train with the private car is #320 in the morning & leaves Kenosha at 6:53 & arrives at 8:26.  Only one platform is long enough for it, which is tracks 7 &8.   It's #341 in the evening & leaves at 5:03  & arrives Kenosha 6:27.   At one time, it ran express from Madison St. to Highland Park, but now makes a few intermediate stops.   There used to be three private cars, one of which was I believe 6300 & originally had the name "Deerpath" painted on the side in a flowing script, but it was removed, possibly because the other cars got the nicknames "Cowpath" & "Psychopath"!

• Upvote 1

On 4/21/2009 at 9:28 PM, trainman8119 said:

I normally ride the train with this car and see a few people enter it... My Question is what stop do these people get off on at? I ride in the car right after it and we always pass the station to make sure rear is on. When I get off at Waukegan the private car still isn't accessible. just curious

48 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

My Question is what stop do these people get off on at? I ride in the car right after it and we always pass the station to make sure rear is on.

Most of them are from Lake Forest. There was a Tribune story about them about 9 years ago.

It also points out that it technically isn't a Metra car, as the club contracts directly with the UP, but riders have to pay both club dues and Metra fare.