Pace Bus pics....

Heres a few Pace shots I captured the last few weeks. I noticed quite a few differences in the 1999 Nabis compared tot he 2003 models. I wonder if the 1999 models may end up at Academy.

post-158-1249598235_thumb.jpg

post-158-1249598336_thumb.jpg

post-158-1249598428_thumb.jpg

post-158-1249598523_thumb.jpg

Heres a few Pace shots I captured the last few weeks. I noticed quite a few differences in the 1999 Nabis compared tot he 2003 models. I wonder if the 1999 models may end up at Academy.

Maybe, Noticed few new 6000 nabis in Waukegan and fewer 2300's Maybe you'll get some 2400's.

Maybe, Noticed few new 6000 nabis in Waukegan and fewer 2300's Maybe you'll get some 2400's.
Waukegan at least had 6600-6603, 6682, and 6684. They probably are down to about 7 2300s.

Since the picture is at GolfMill, about half of the 272s (weekdays) are from Waukegan. The last run, which leaves GolfMill at about 9:30 p.m. is usually a 6600.

Oddly enough, while 2423-2450 (and transferred 40 footers 2401 and 2421) are older, they are the basic Waukegan workhorses, while the 6600s are basically on feeder routes (the 580s and 625). Similar to about 15 transferred to First Student Westmont. I'm not sure what message that sends. Originally Academy's were for 696-699, which are also light routes, but then you have other 6600s, and others were moved to West and South.

Again, I have no way of knowing, but it sort of looks like the 2400s will be serving out the rest of their service lives in North and South, because there has been little effort to put anything else there, and, unless we hear more about the state capital bills, no real plan to purchase new buses into 2011, when their FTA service lives run out.

Speaking of GolfMill, I actually, and to verify, then virtually (see below, to confirm) saw 6661 at GolfMill on 272. Since that was an Academy bus, are you further short?

It had a light blue wrap, but it was too dark to see what it was.

post-14-1250219900_thumb.jpg

Speaking of GolfMill, I actually, and to verify, then virtually (see below, to confirm) saw 6661 at GolfMill on 272. Since that was an Academy bus, are you further short?

I dont recall Academy ever having #6661. We do have #6664. Heres a pic I just had to shoot. I took this today. I call it, One man on a mission! One man and his bus! :)

post-158-1250221270_thumb.jpg

I dont recall Academy ever having #6661. We do have #6664. Heres a pic I just had to shoot. I took this today. I call it, One man on a mission! One man and his bus! :)
Now that you mention it, 6661 was one of 2 that was left in Elgin.

My goof.

I think you were still more impressive with the crowbar. ^_^ :D

Here is a picture of PACE 6608@NWTC w/a US CELLULAR wrap,might this be the light blue wrap you saw?

post-451-12503658756223_thumb.jpg

Maybe. I saw it on a couple of 6000s (Orion VIs), and thought it looked a bit weird, since I was expecting a white, rather than a blue bus.

In this case, I was more focused on finding the fleet number.

I know they have a number of Orion VI's wrapped for the Cubs Wrigley Field Express,I guess that could have been another possibilty.

• 6 months later...

Did CHBM relocate them to Rt 53 and Caton Farm Rd? :unsure:

Well from what Im told the CHBM is no more but some of the buses are still together. They sit in a construction lot off of Rt.53 at Caton Farm Rd.

• 4 months later...

Here is a picture of PACE 6608@NWTC w/a US CELLULAR wrap,might this be the light blue wrap you saw?

Probably a necropost, but I last week again saw 6661 at Golf Mill and the light blue wrap was for Provena St. Joseph Hospital. Considering that it is located west of Elgin, it doesn't do it much good to have been advertising for about a year in the Waukegan area.

Which brings up a not so necropost point, that maybe someone working in a Pace garage* can answer: Do wraps live on in eternity, or does someone try to determine whether the advertiser is getting its money's worth upon the transfer of a bus?**

*Such as you.

**Maybe a "seguro de State Farm" wrap works in both places, but this one doesn't.

Probably a necropost, but I last week again saw 6661 at Golf Mill and the light blue wrap was for Provena St. Joseph Hospital. Considering that it is located west of Elgin, it doesn't do it much good to have been advertising for about a year in the Waukegan area.

Which brings up a not so necropost point, that maybe someone working in a Pace garage* can answer: Do wraps live on in eternity, or does someone try to determine whether the advertiser is getting its money's worth upon the transfer of a bus?**

*Such as you.

**Maybe a "seguro de State Farm" wrap works in both places, but this one doesn't.

To piggyback on Busjack's point, I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing advertisements in Naperville and Lisle's buses on a movie that came out in March (I forget the name of the movie off hand). They were all over the Eldos in Naperville on both sides and the back and they are on a few 6600s in Lisle. West is the only garage I see that actually updates their ads and take them down when necessary. Very few others do. Why is that? CTA doesn't have this problem, at least not in the last couple of years.

I think the answer to the last question is simple. The roster at most garages is so tight that the buses can't be spared to go out and have the wraps removed...especially if there are a couple that are out for major repairs. How they get away with them away to have them put on to start with is a good question, but I would bet that if they don't really need to go off property, they don't !

• 2 weeks later...

Found some pics of the inside and out of Orion 2314. This one is interesting: Has no LED sign inside, no IBS, a different seat fabric design than the other North 2300s, but has the hammerhead destination sign (Though those other differences were usually found on buses without the hammerhead sign.

The driver let me take pictures while at the downtown Pulse Point one morning. He even let me take a pic of the Motorola radio where the IBS usually is! He had to get out of his seat to do that and not be in the picture.

So here you all are. I present Orion I #2314!

post-596-12800315188169_thumb.jpg

post-596-12800315476189_thumb.jpg

post-596-12800315754163_thumb.jpg

post-596-12800316208683_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

On the seats, it is the usual fabric, but it looks weird because that on the bottom is backwards from that on the back.

Also, you seem to have the first evidence of the Motorola radio, which Pace says it will now replace as part of the state capital plan.

Back when we had 2101 and 2102, they also had Motorola radios. Was fun when riding around with drivers on mostly empty runs, as we would listen in to another division.

I am pretty sure the fabric pattern is different from other 2300s (At North anyway), but I haven't been on an Orion in a while.

One thing I know the 2100s had, was a placard above the driver's side window, where it would say; 'Your Driver', and they would put in a plate below that with their name. 2314 here, along with all others 2300s I have seen, do not have that.

I have more bus pics on my laptop, but mostly they are nothing special like this.

Back when we had 2101 and 2102, they also had Motorola radios. Was fun when riding around with drivers on mostly empty runs, as we would listen in to another division.

In that Pace says

$10 million will be used to replace Pace's existing radio system, which over time has become obsolete to the point that it can no longer be serviced by its manufacturer. The radio system purchase will be part of a joint procurement with the State of Illinois and will save Pace approximately $10-14 million versus purchasing a standalone system. Additionally, the radio system will be purchased from Schaumburg-based Motorola, meaning that jobs created or retained through the project will be in Illinois. "This project is one of the great success stories for us and perhaps even the state's capital plan: we're going to replace an essential communications system at a significant cost savings while benefiting the Illinois economy," said Kwasneski.

all of them must have them. Apparently the IBS is not a substitute, just as on the CTA the Clever Device is not a substitute for the Orbital system.

Of course, if there are any actual Pace bus drivers out there, they can further illuminate.

• 3 weeks later...

On the seats, it is the usual fabric, but it looks weird because that on the bottom is backwards from that on the back.

Ah, I don't think that Orion's seat fabric is the usual fabric pattern.

Friendly driver let me take this pic on bus 2446. Bottom is the old Orion pattern, top half is the usual pattern on North 2300 series and All NABIs up here.

post-596-12814767188147_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was on the 572 this morning, when it broke down at Hunt Club and Washington heading to Waukegan.

Driver is a friend of mine and let me take some pictures. He also asked to see the camera for a minute, and took the one of me in the doorway. Yes, I am the guy in the brown fedora.

Almost got to ride in the cab of the towtruck, as I was the only passenger on the bus, but instead they sent a crew vehicle for me, driven by someone on extra board.:D

post-596-12831990599596_thumb.jpg

post-596-12831992667703_thumb.jpg

post-596-12831993014179_thumb.jpg

post-596-12831993426342_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Was on the 572 this morning, when it broke down at Hunt Club and Washington heading to Waukegan.

Driver is a friend of mine and let me take some pictures. He also asked to see the camera for a minute, and took the one of me in the doorway. Yes, I am the guy in the brown fedora.

Almost got to ride in the cab of the towtruck, as I was the only passenger on the bus, but instead they sent a crew vehicle for me, driven by someone on extra board.:D

Nice. A NABI down means an Orion I is the spare at North.

• 6 months later...

I am not sure if there is another thread for 'Former Pace' buses, so I thought I would drop this here in this thread. Feel free to move this post to a different thread if need be.

I believe this bus is a late 1980's former Pace Orion I 01.508:

Superior Shuttle Orion I #123 (250406superiorshuttle123a)

Superior Shuttle Orion I #123 (250406superiorshuttle123)

Comments!?

Given it has '311' still displayed on the rear destination display, it's a former Pace Orion 1 previously from Pace's West Division if indeed it did belong to Pace prior to this.