Changing Train Station Names

Zol87

I thought this would be a fun and creative discussion. :)

If you could change the name of any train station (CTA or Metra) what would you change it to?

63rd Street (Metra Electric) to 63rd Street/Jackson Park

Paulina (Brown Line) to Roscoe/Lincoln

18th (Pink Line) to 18th/Pilsen.

• Upvote 1

Most of the Metra Electric South Chicago branch ones should be renamed, since, for instance, Bryn Mawr is Jeffery, not 5600 North; South Shore may be near South Shore Drive, but is Yates; and no one knows what Cheltenham is anymore.

If the ME is to double up on street numbers and area names, 57th should be Museum of Science and Industry. However, maybe they haven't paid for the naming rights. ME considers 59th to be University of Chicago, while NICTD considers 57th to be.

On the Milw. N, I don't know to what Grayland and Healy refer (other than one is near Milwaukee and Addison, and the other is at Fullerton and Pulaski). There is Mars on the Milw. N., apparently named for the candy bar rather than the planet. It was also never clear why most refer to "The Glen" but Metra will only refer to it as "North Glenview" (and "North Brook" sounds similar to it on the automated announcements).

There is the usual comment that the Clybourn stop on the UP is not near Clybourn Ave. Cumberland west of DesPlaines seems misnamed.*

If they ever fixed Wilson, it could be the "Uptown Transit Center." No, that wouldn't be any classier.

Sheridan should probably be Sheridan/Irving Park.

We, of course, had the debate about overlapping names on the O'Hare and Forest Park branches of the Blue Line.*

I have a few insulting choices, but decided to pass on them.

*These seem more confusing on bus destination signs than on the trains themselves.

My change would be on the Metra Electric. The name "Hyde Park" would be deleted

from 51st Street and 55-56-57 would be renamed Hyde Park Transfer...since that

is the main transfer point in that area for Blue Island, South Chicago and

University Park as well as South Shore trains. I think also, that 11th Street-

Museum Campus should just be Museum Campus (drop the 11th street).

Most of the Metra Electric South Chicago branch ones should be renamed, since, for instance, Bryn Mawr is Jeffery, not 5600 North; South Shore may be near South Shore Drive, but is Yates; and no one knows what Cheltenham is anymore.

If the ME is to double up on street numbers and area names, 57th should be Museum of Science and Industry. However, maybe they haven't paid for the naming rights. ME considers 59th to be University of Chicago, while NICTD considers 57th to be.

On the Milw. N, I don't know to what Grayland and Healy refer (other than one is near Milwaukee and Addison, and the other is at Fullerton and Pulaski). There is Mars on the Milw. N., apparently named for the candy bar rather than the planet. It was also never clear why most refer to "The Glen" but Metra will only refer to it as "North Glenview" (which sounds on the automated announcements similar to "North Brook").

There is the usual comment that the Clybourn stop on the UP is not near Clybourn Ave. Cumberland west of DesPlaines seems misnamed.

I'll agree with you on the South Chicago naming, although if you tried to change South Shore, Jesse

Jackson (both senior and junior) would probably have a baby. Keep in mind though, that this is across

from the South Shore Cultural Center.

I believe Grayland and Healy refer to the neighborhood names, similar to what Cragin and Hermosa once

were. Mars is in fact named for the candy company adjacent to the station. Actually the Glen is printed

on the signs at North Glenview, but I guess Cap'n Don couldn't pronounce it for automation (or something).

Cumberland is not so outlandish, since the travel circle at Golf and Wolf Roads is known as

Cumberland Circle.

The name "Hyde Park" would be deleted

University Park as well as South Shore trains.

"Hyde Park" has one entrance on Hyde Park Blvd., though. They could rename it Obama Parkway, but, as in the case of The Glen, Metra probably wouldn't recognize it. :angry: :lol:

I like that they changed the River Rd stop to "Rosemont". The "OHare" stop I wish they would retain the "OHare Airport" stop. Lake Transfer I didnt like, "Clark/Lake" sounds better. Im glad CTA dropped the "Dempster" stop for "Skokie".

My change would be on the Metra Electric. The name "Hyde Park" would be deleted

University Park as well as South Shore trains. I think also, that 11th Street-

Museum Campus should just be Museum Campus (drop the 11th street).

Even though the station is at 5100 south, it actually is at Hyde Park Blvd.

For that reason I'd wouldn't change the name. :)

I like that they changed the River Rd stop to "Rosemont". The "OHare" stop I wish they would retain the "OHare Airport" stop. Lake Transfer I didnt like, "Clark/Lake" sounds better. Im glad CTA dropped the "Dempster" stop for "Skokie".

Clark/Lake to me sounds confusing. A tourist would probably wait for a green line in the subway. I always thought maybe calling it Clark/Lake (subway), Clark/Lake (elevated) would break up the confusion. That could be done on the blue line too. Harlem (north side) Harlem (South side) Western (near north side) Western (far north side) for Brown and so on. Speaking of confusion when the Old Orchard extension opens do you think the Skokie name will be changed or not. There will be many stops in "Skokie". Isn't it a little vague? Plus if they name Old Orchard the final stop, are they referring to the street or shopping center? It's now Westfield shopping Center. They could simply call it Golf RD/ Westfield shopping center. Or the Skokie transit center.

Clark/Lake to me sounds confusing. A tourist would probably wait for a green line in the subway.

Since the only entrances are in the Thompson Center or the building across the street from it, and the station itself has all the special signs, I don't see the confusion in the real world. There won't be any green signs in the subway, and even if the person is color blind, no sign indicating Harlem, Ashland or Cottage Grove (or is it still East 63rd).
Speaking of confusion when the Old Orchard extension opens do you think the Skokie name will be changed or not. There will be many stops in "Skokie". Isn't it a little vague? Plus if they name Old Orchard the final stop, are they referring to the street or shopping center? It's now Westfield shopping Center. They could simply call it Golf RD/ Westfield shopping center. Or the Skokie transit center.
I'm sure that the station was renamed to conform it to the Skokie (swift symbol) sign, similar to how East 63rd was more or less temporarily renamed to conform to that sign.

Thus, neither the station name nor the sign would work once it were converted to Old Orchard. The reference would be ambiguous, but to Old Orchard Road. It wouldn't be to Golf, since the planned station is a half mile away from it.

The Westfield reference reminds me that Pace North signs sometimes refer to Hawthorne and sometimes to Westfield. However, there is more than one Westfield. All Pace and CTA bus references are to Old Orchard.

Since the only entrances are in the Thompson Center or the building across the street from it, and the station itself has all the special signs, I don't see the confusion in the real world. There won't be any green signs in the subway, and even if the person is color blind, no sign indicating Harlem, Ashland or Cottage Grove (or is it still East 63rd).I'm sure that the station was renamed to conform it to the Skokie (swift symbol) sign, similar to how East 63rd was more or less temporarily renamed to conform to that sign.

Thus, neither the station name nor the sign would work once it were converted to Old Orchard. The reference would be ambiguous, but to Old Orchard Road. It wouldn't be to Golf, since the planned station is a half mile away from it.

The Westfield reference reminds me that Pace North signs sometimes refer to Hawthorne and sometimes to Westfield. However, there is more than one Westfield. All Pace and CTA bus references are to Old Orchard.

There's always the totally blind, what do they do? Listen to "the next outbound train from the loop will be arriving shortly?" From where to where? I suppose they could always ask someone, but they shouldn't have to do that if the system serves the blind/deaf equally. As far as the suburban signs, they no longer work after more than one stop is built in the same town. Just imagine Oak Park 1-4 or Evanston 1-7. This problem will soon become reality when Oakton is built. On the Purple, they could call the final stop Wilmette instead of Linden or Linden/Wilmette like the old 5 - 50's route signs used to say. As far as the westfield comment, it's probably easier just to say the former name. Westfield s alot to put on a destination sign and most likely they wouldn't want customers to be confused thinking their going to one Westfield when there going to another. BTW, does Westfield own Northbrook Court? If they did that would be way confusing, buses like the #422 would go to Westfield twice.

• Upvote 1

There's always the totally blind, what do they do? Listen to "the next outbound train from the loop will be arriving shortly?" From where to where? I suppose they could always ask someone, but they shouldn't have to do that if the system serves the blind/deaf equally.

In the Loop, at each station, and occasionally elsewhere, there is an announcement on the train to the effect of "This is a Purple Line train to Linden" while the train doors are still open, or there is a chance to still transfer in the Loop. There are occasionally announcements that "This is a Red Line train to Downtown and 95th." However, to the extent that doesn't happen when there is a real choice, that would appear to be an ADA violation. I agree that the message that was at Roosevelt on the L that a train is approaching from downtown wouldn't be helpful in distinguishing between Midway, Ashland, or Cottage Grove trains.

In that the Customer Assistant has to be available to deploy the gap filler if a wheelchair rider gets on a train, would the CA be required to wait for a train with a blind person?

As far as the westfield comment, it's probably easier just to say the former name. Westfield s alot to put on a destination sign and most likely they wouldn't want customers to be confused thinking their going to one Westfield when there going to another. BTW, does Westfield own Northbrook Court? If they did that would be way confusing, buses like the #422 would go to Westfield twice.

Northbrook Court is owned by General Growth, which is in bankruptcy at the moment. Apparently, they aren't as assertive about their brand name, but it could be confused for GolfMill, Ford City, or Water Tower Place. I'm certain we won't see 125 General Growth. However, I am surprised that Pace North partially caved on Hawthorne.

But, say if it were as you indicated, the sign would be 422 Westfield/422 Glenview/422 Westfield. That wouldn't work.

Speaking of confusion when the Old Orchard extension opens do you think the Skokie name will be changed or not. There will be many stops in "Skokie". Isn't it a little vague? Plus if they name Old Orchard the final stop, are they referring to the street or shopping center? It's now Westfield shopping Center. They could simply call it Golf RD/ Westfield shopping center. Or the Skokie transit center.

I think they will have to change the current Yellow line stop back to Dempster because there will be more than one stop in Skokie after the extension. As for Old Orchard, it will be called Old Orchard for two. It will be located near Old Orchard Road and not Golf Road. Everyone still calls it Old Orchard, even the official name is Westfield Old Orchard Shopping Center.

This is a great topic. I agree with most stations mentioned earlier retaining their names, but the ones I would change would be Harlem Ave (BNSF) to Berwyn - Harlem AVe and the Oak Park Metra station would be Oak Park/Harlem AVe to match the CTA Green Line Harlem station. Both the CTA Harlem station and the Oak Park Metra station are housed in the same building, much like the CTA and Metra Jefferson Park station which have the same name. My reason for changing the BNSF Harlem station is to not confuse the Harlem stations.

Oak Park Metra station would be Oak Park/Harlem AVe to match the CTA Green Line Harlem station. Both the CTA Harlem station and the Oak Park Metra station are housed in the same building, much like the CTA and Metra Jefferson Park station which have the same name.

Technically, the Metra station and the accessible entrance to the Green Line station are on Marion. The end of the Green Line may be at Harlem, but that apparently isn't the main entrance to the transit center.

Technically, the Metra station and the accessible entrance to the Green Line station are on Marion. The end of the Green Line may be at Harlem, but that apparently isn't the main entrance to the transit center.

I've would've suggested changing both to Marion, but I thought that could create a lot of confusion with CTA riders not familiar with Oak Park (where's Marion?). Marion is 1100W in Oak Park, Harlem would be 1200W, except it borders with Forest Park, thus picking up as 7200W.