Retired CTA buses For sale?

jahreed

thanks BJ,

I located some phone #'s for purchasing of Pace equipment...

for the CTA I was only able to find info regarding bidding on services or materials to sell TO the CTA rather then purchasing from them.

does anyone on this list own and operate a retired bus? if so can you point me to a web resource or give me some advice on how to do it legally, I live in chicago

cheers

jr

What do u want the bus for? do u just like buses? or do u want to used it to carried people on it?And btw cta does not like to sell its buses to people to used.Once cta retired it there want it scrape.So if u do get a ex cta bus heres what u are going to run in to.There going to take all the oil and everthing out of it cut all the lines on it like brakes oil lines stuff like that.And there might run the us with no oil to blow it up like there did we the 1606 we got.So if i was going to buy a bus go on ebay 1st.Because Pace is getting the same way the 2200s that just got send out no one got a bid list for then but the two scrapers.

There going to take all the oil and everthing out of it cut all the lines on it like brakes oil lines stuff like that.And there might run the us with no oil to blow it up like there did we the 1606 we got.Because Pace is getting the same way the 2200s that just got send out no one got a bid list for then but the two scrapers.

Then, what's the purpose of selling them? Why would anyone want a 40ft shell of a former bus??? I, for one wouldn't! That's bad business, IMO.  A used bus is like, what.... between $3,500-7,000 per bus? I don't think they'd be worth $100.00.  Again, just my opinion...

I agree with pace2322 that by the time a CTA bus is off the roster, it is junk, only worth scrap value, and they defuel them. Also there is a product liability question--MBTA was successfully sued by a private person who bought and was injured attempting to rehab a streetcar. While RIPTA42 has documented  many used Pace buses, and some 2200s have gone to Downers Grove and Louisiana, maybe the rest of the Ikaruses did not hold up well.

good info all...it sounds like used buses via CTA/Pace might not be the most viable option for me.

a little background, I am investigating buses for a group of individuals interesting in gutting and rehabbing a decommisioned bus to use as a recreational vehicle. A CTA bus would have been really amazing but now it looks like a used school bus is a more realistic option.

we all live in chicago and therefore need to find out what the laws are for street parking vehicles like that...

thanks again for your help

jr

New Jersey Transit over-the-road coach, circa 1987 vintage, like this one in its second life on Michigan Avenue:

x5359.jpg

I don't know if it's NJT itself selling these or if they would be available locally; several bus resellers got their hands on these, and they have gotten around. I think the one in the photo above had Alabama license plates. I also came across an '83 in a lot in Cincinnati, still in its New Jersey private operator livery:

x6748a.jpg

Reposted from the Yahoo fishbowls group.

As this message is being typed, CTA 375 (TDH-5301 - original and

unaltered) and CTA 9799 (T8H -5307A - CTA's final New Look GMC and the

last of the 5307's to be produced) are powering their way over the

Illinois border from Califrnia to their "NEW HOME" (final home) at the

Chicagoland Historical Bus Museum. Under the control of Loren Joplin

and the Dreamliner crew both buses have been making a non-stop trip

with mimimal problems. Although Bus 375 will need some work, which is

expected to begin next week.

As history goes, most of you should remember that when the 375 left

Chicago, it was Landolled to California due to a bad powerpack. The

bus has since been repowered, which included a new engine,

transmission, rear-axle and radius rods (which were all rotted out).

The exterior of the bus is much the same and taken a forward spot in

the repaint and restoration rotation here at the museum. Loren is

leaving the bus with all of the exterior panels which will be required

to be replaced when the bus is restored.

Bus 9799 was taken out of service well before the other's of its era.

It's in good condition and doing very well on its journey home. We

are only expecting to do a Lube, Oil and Filter job in addition to a

block heater so we can use this bus in limited capicity over the

winter months. In cases of winter weather where salt is required or

may be residual, the buses won't be operated.

This is our Christmas gift to the Chicagoland Transit Community. So,

look forward to seeing them on a Chicago street nearest you in the

near future.

Welcome Home, CTA FISHBOWLS!

Are these buses in operable condition?(Can you hear the engines idle if the Museum Staff starts them up). I remember hearing something about 1606's(1983 Flyer) engine being destroyed by the CTA before they gave it to the CHBM.  Did they do the same with 375 and 9799?

Both buses were driven from CA to Chicago so I guess they work pretty well. The 375 had a complete mechanical rebuild while at Dreamliners so its in good shape there. The 9799 was retired rather early and never did get in sad shape.

• 15 years later...
On 11/10/2005 at 5:01 PM, sw4400 said:

Then, what's the purpose of selling them? Why would anyone want a 40ft shell of a former bus??? I, for one wouldn't! That's bad business, IMO.  A used bus is like, what.... between $3,500-7,000 per bus? I don't think they'd be worth $100.00.  Again, just my opinion...

Maybe you can build some sort of shed, home or small museum with it?‍♂️ just keep the outside with fresh paint and enjoy it while you can. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

• 3 months later...