CTA President Merry-Go-Round

sw4400

The actual Sneed article is here. However, aside from the possible 4th president of the CTA in about 4 years, it appears that this is about the 17th or 18th chief of staff over Daley's tenure. However, the latter isn't of concern to me

And this may just be gossip.

I just think it's a shame and it goes to show you how bad CTA is. Yes it may be rumors, but the fact its in the Sun Times tells me Rodriguez is not happy with the job and what's going on with CTA. Four CTA bosses in 4 years? There is a serious problem here and I'm an outsider so I can only imagine what the insiders are probably saying. I've been in Chicago for 9 years and I'm pretty sure Richard Kwasneski & T.J. Ross has been with Pace since I've been here. But the CTA can't keep a head. Something is really wrong and I truly believe everything will come into the light in the next year.

I just think it's a shame and it goes to show you how bad CTA is. Yes it may be rumors, but the fact its in the Sun Times tells me Rodriguez is not happy with the job and what's going on with CTA. Four CTA bosses in 4 years? There is a serious problem here and I'm an outsider so I can only imagine what the insiders are probably saying. I've been in Chicago for 9 years and I'm pretty sure Richard Kwasneski & T.J. Ross has been with Pace since I've been here. But the CTA can't keep a head. Something is really wrong and I truly believe everything will come into the light in the next year.

The problem is that Daley is running out of managers and Obama taking away Duncan didn't help any. Huberman would probably rather be police chief, but Daley decided to give that job to an outsider from the FBI.

Rodriguez has never exhibited any passion for this job. At least Huberman had a vision for the CTA. The only idea I've heard out of Rodriguez is to have customers hand out rewards tokens to bus drivers.

How long are we going to play this "Merry-Go-Round" game? We went from Huberman to Rodriguez and now possibly to Volpe? Article here.

At the least, as long as Daley is mayor. It is he, not any CTA pres or chair, that was the "mastermind" behind the Blockhead 37 superstation skeleton, proposing an express train to O'Hare that would share tracks with local Blue line trains. I wonder what would happen if the CTA president and board were "elected" rather than appointed. Maybe there would be some accountability, but would there be any continuity?

How does New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta run their systems?

Four CTA bosses in 4 years? ... I've been in Chicago for 9 years and I'm pretty sure Richard Kwasneski & T.J. Ross has been with Pace since I've been here.

That's about correct Ross came from Phoenix, but apparently trainman doesn't care for him.

At the least, as long as Daley is mayor. It is he, not any CTA pres or chair, that was the "mastermind" behind the Blockhead 37 superstation skeleton, proposing an express train to O'Hare that would share tracks with local Blue line trains. I wonder what would happen if the CTA president and board were "elected" rather than appointed. Maybe there would be some accountability, but would there be any continuity?

How does New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta run their systems?

Good points, also a good point that we have four boards, all of which were organized based on political considerations. Also, Chicago and Detroit seem to be the only ones split on a city-suburban basis (although other members of this forum have corresponded with me regarding what is the situation vis-a-vis The Twin Cities and Toronto and their arrangements with surrounding counties).

Anyway:

NY MTA: "All Board members are appointed by the Governor, some on the recommendation of City and County officials in the MTA service region."

WMATA: Various members appointed to represent the District of Columbia, and various counties in Virginia and Maryland.

SEPTA: Two members appointed by each county, one by the governor, and one each by the 4 legislative leaders.

MBTA: Operated by the Mass DOT board, which is appointed by the governor.

MARTA: Various representatives of the cities and counties, and from the state.

At least an interesting research project.

As far as elected boards, I tend to doubt they would be accountable, given that nobody knows for whom they are voting for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District or the 100s of judges on the retention ballot.

I went to one of the Northside Red/Purple Rehab studies on the Northside last week. I got to meet and have 5-10 minutes of 1-1 time with him, and one of the first things that came to mind after that conversation is that the Chicago Transit Authority will never amount to anything with the city controlling it. Goodness I hope I'm wrong.... :unsure:

I went to one of the Northside Red/Purple Rehab studies on the Northside last week. I got to meet and have 5-10 minutes of 1-1 time with him, and one of the first things that came to mind after that conversation is that the Chicago Transit Authority will never amount to anything with the city controlling it. Goodness I hope I'm wrong.... :unsure:

That could be assumed, but is there any particular reason for your feeling? Did he say something from which a lack of vision could be inferred?

That could be assumed, but is there any particular reason for your feeling? Did he say something from which a lack of vision could be inferred?

He answered everything in an extremely vague way, and I asked what I thought were realistic questions. Second, I just naturally know how to read people given that I have a psychology minor.

• 4 weeks later...