Block 37 CTA Superstation

Scionic

I'm reading this article about Block 37. http://www.chicagocurrent.com/articles/30962-The-CTA-s-Block-37-blues

It talks about the "Superstation" beneath Block 37, that is a shell of a station, minus any trackage. Since Chicago didn't get the Olympics, the express service to the airports idea seems to have fallen by the wayside. Are there any photos of this "shell of a station"? Maybe I just suck at Google, but I can't find any.

I'm reading this article about Block 37. http://www.chicagocu...-Block-37-blues

It talks about the "Superstation" beneath Block 37, that is a shell of a station, minus any trackage. Since Chicago didn't get the Olympics, the express service to the airports idea seems to have fallen by the wayside. Are there any photos of this "shell of a station"? Maybe I just suck at Google, but I can't find any.

This was also picked up in the CTA Tattler today, and I replied that this is a 1-1/2 year old story, except that another Tribune columnist and blogger said that it is $330 million.

The most comprehensive explanation of its status is Huberman's President's Report of June, 2008, which I suggest you also consult.

• Upvote 1

This was also picked up in the CTA Tattler today, and I replied that this is a 1-1/2 year old story, except that another Tribune columnist and blogger said that it is $330 million.

The most comprehensive explanation of its status is Huberman's President's Report of June, 2008, which I suggest you also consult.

Oh wow, thanks for linking that. It looks like even "shell of a station" is a pretty optimistic way of describing what's down there. More like "there's a big hole underground where you could put stuff potentially". It also shows how the Block 37 station aligns with the existing subways, which is something I wondered about.

Oh wow, thanks for linking that. It looks like even "shell of a station" is a pretty optimistic way of describing what's down there.

The pictures of the mudhole show its status before the CTA Board approved completing the shell. Of course, neither I nor probably any member of the public probably is in a position to go down there and see how it is 18 months later.

The pictures of the mudhole show its status before the CTA Board approved completing the shell. Of course, neither I nor probably any member of the public probably is in a position to go down there and see how it is 18 months later.

If you look at the entrance to the red line's free transfer tunnel entrance (the one below the station platform) at Washington, they appear to have tore out the railings and rebuilt a double stairwell with newer metal railings like they are trying to make an attempt to restore the free transfer tunnel connection. That's the only change i've noticed lately.

If you look at the entrance to the red line's free transfer tunnel entrance (the one below the station platform) at Washington, they appear to have tore out the railings and rebuilt a double stairwell with newer metal railings like they are trying to make an attempt to restore the free transfer tunnel connection. That's the only change i've noticed lately.

I noticed this too. They were also covering the south transfer stair with a wood box, and removing the blue edging from the platform. This was last Saturday (1/16). Could they actually be preparing to cut the platform? Kind of a shame, I like having the uninterrupted platform downtown.

• 6 months later...

Looks like Da Mare is trying to revive the O'Hare Express rail service. He has appointed a 17 member "Blue Ribbon Panel" to study this idea. Henry Crown is the head of said committee. The other 16 members are supposedly made up of civic leaders, business people, etc. Howver, I can't find a list of who else is on this committee. Supposedly there are investors (foreign especially) interested in this project.

Looks like Da Mare is trying to revive the O'Hare Express rail service. He has appointed a 17 member "Blue Ribbon Panel" to study this idea. Henry Crown is the head of said committee. The other 16 members are supposedly made up of civic leaders, business people, etc. Howver, I can't find a list of who else is on this committee. Supposedly there are investors (foreign especially) interested in this project.

Since Bloomberg BusinessWeek says that it was a city of Chicago news release, why not just go to the source? The list of names is at the bottom of the city's press release.

If there are investors, fine. However, the initial consultant's report, which I believe was about 4 years ago, indicated that it probably would cost about $1.5 billion to build a true express route, which would probably involve (among several options explored) putting an L over the UP NW line to Jefferson Park, and then moving the expressway lanes between Jefferson Park and O'Hare over to the side, so that there would be enough room in the median for 4 tracks. Thus, the investors would have to figure out how much to charge and who would pay that fare for the privilege of avoiding either (1) using airport coaches or taxis or (2) the proletariat on the Blue Line.

Interesting was the statement on page 2 of the Tribune article indicating that service to Midway was no longer necessary, as the Orange Line "operates efficiently." Not mentioned is that the average flier on Southwest Airlines probably doesn't want to pay $15 for the privilege of avoiding the usual CTA Tattler milieu.

Funny that the whole purpose of the new subway tunnel/station at block 37 was to connect Blue and Red Line subways for a through-route continuing to O'Hare and Midway. Now that you subtract Midway out of the equation, that would make this so-called station a terminus for express service AND removes any barriers that would keep the Washington Red Line station closed.

Carole Brown (long gone) mentioned the benefits of having another crossover, since the site was vacant at the time, and denied that it was for the superstation, per se. Of course, a quarter a billion later, no one is talking that. However, this would seem to render moot Daley's claim that they couldn't reopen Washington, because they didn't know what technology switch to install there.

This sounds like CTA's version of NY-MTA's JFK Express, which failed miserably, often filling just 1 of 3 cars of a train where the norm is 8 car trains, and also contained other service expansion like a 4th 6th Avenue service. I realize the analogy isn't exact because JFK does not handle the majority of domestic flights like ORD does

IMO, CTA could speed up the northern half of Blue Line service by re-introducing A-B skip-stop service to save 5 minutes. To save 10-15 minutes is too much disruption and expense for the gain: build bypass express tracks, special fleet of cars for 2 or 4 car trains with high fares, taking up slots for regular 8 car trains, breaking the continuous platforms of both the Dearborn & State Street subways, and having at grade interlockings between the 2 subways impacting opposing local trains.

This sounds like CTA's version of NY-MTA's JFK Express, which failed miserably, often filling just 1 of 3 cars of a train where the norm is 8 car trains, and also contained other service expansion like a 4th 6th Avenue service. I realize the analogy isn't exact because JFK does not handle the majority of domestic flights like ORD does.

It is hard to tell, given a paucity of web sources about the JFK Express, and also whether a private entity would propose what the Chicago consultant did.

Essentially, the Chicago consultant's plan was to set aside the last 84 (or probably fewer) of the 706 proposed L cars from the current Bombardier options, and configure them so that they had "luxury interiors" with carpeted walls and seats for about 12 passengers per two car train. There would be a separate baggage car or compartment. The idea behind the superstation was that airline and baggage check-in would occur there. The baggage would travel under airline security rules and be loaded directly onto the plane.

There would not be any intermediate stop, and the proletariat would not even have an opportunity to board the train.

As far as your skip-stop idea, that would speed up the ride if implemented up to Jefferson Park, but not further, since the stops on the extension are about 2 miles apart. Of course, a real express (note the prior distinction between "direct"* and "express" service) wouldn't be possible, because there isn't the right of way for a 4 track operation.

The proposal I mentioned before about the L over the UP-NW was to alleviate the problems you mentioned in using the current structure for express service.

As Roe Conn pointed out, the main purpose of the proposed Airport Express would be so that the usual CTA rider"does not pee on your shoe." Whether there is enough of a market for that, the committee would have to determine. Now that the fraudulent Olympic "dream" is off the table, I'm not putting a bet on that.

*The "direct" service, then proposed to get something up by about now, to meet a supposed contract with the then developer of Block 37, basically meant that the passengers would be sealed in cars in a train that was stuck behind the locals.

There is alot of ways they could set up this service. One of the more inexpensive options would be to build switches on the both ends of stations. Put in signaling that would hold both the train in the station and the opposing train and allow the express to pass on opposing tracks. Kind of like a passing lane on a one lane highway. If that would be to disruptive they could introduce skip stop service or even semi express service to speed up the tracks and send the locals directly behind the expresses. They could have a o'hare local, NW side express and airport express. Or if they didn't want to implement express service yet they could beef up the NW side service send every other train to block 37 and every other train to Forest Pk. The blue line seems to have the same ridership inbalance as the old green and red lines. This could solve that.

I agree about the imbalance of the Forest Park vs. O'Hare branches, but doubt that there would be enough room under Block 37 to berth an 8 car train (maybe, just barely, as my rough math indicates that the hypotenuse of a city block is 466 feet, and an 8 car train would be 384 feet), not to mention teeing off those wanting to ride between Monroe and UIC. I have ruminated about a short turn past UIC, however.

Given, though, that the west siders were promised better frequency on the Congress branch as a result of disconnecting the Douglas, I don't think that either would be politically feasible.

The rest of what you say implicates what Carole said on her dead blog about not being in favor of express service that would disrupt normal CTA service, although, of course, she never said that she was in favor of anything, nor is now around. Even though the Blue Line is now getting new signals, knowing the CTA, I can foresee the first head-on accident, given the folks who ran red signals, for instance, at 58th. Certainly, the CTA proves that nothing is foolproof.

• 7 months later...

As a former Chicago resident who rode the Blue on a daily basis, I shudder at the idea of adding trains on a 2-track configuration that switch tracks to accommodate an "express" architecture. If you have ever ridden on any of the "EL" trains and cringed at how close the trains seem to be, the thought that one might be coming your direction on your track would make you re-think your travel plans. They aren't really that close, but perception is reality in the mind of the rider.

As a former Chicago resident who rode the Blue on a daily basis, I shudder at the idea of adding trains on a 2-track configuration that switch tracks to accommodate an "express" architecture. If you have ever ridden on any of the "EL" trains and cringed at how close the trains seem to be, the thought that one might be coming your direction on your track would make you re-think your travel plans. They aren't really that close, but perception is reality in the mind of the rider.

I think you are trying to resurrect the dead strawman.

Between Huberman ordering a couple of years ago that the underground only be built out to a shell, and Daley now going to China in a futile bid to get a maglev, which certainly couldn't run on an L track. the Block 37 station certainly appears dead. Heck, not even Carole Brown supported the consultant's report at the time.

I just noticed myself last week that the stairs to the transfer tunnel that travels under the Washington blue line stop have been covered over now. There are signs above the covering warning that only CTA personnel are allowed on the covering. I guess there was an insurance risk.

There was an article somewhere that Bank of America, along with others, won an auction for Block 37 for $100 million. I guess that was easy considering they were the only bidder. I'm sure that relates to the building itself, and I don't know what part, if any, it will play with the massive mess underneath it that was supposed to be a Superstation.

There was an article somewhere that Bank of America, along with others, won an auction for Block 37 for $100 million. I guess that was easy considering they were the only bidder. I'm sure that relates to the building itself, and I don't know what part, if any, it will play with the massive mess underneath it that was supposed to be a Superstation.

Based on these two Chicago Breaking News stories (foreclosure filed; mall sold to BoA), BoA, as lead lender, bid in half the mall construction loan, i.e. only its debt, not real money. Those also seem quite clear that it only dealt with the mall.

What might be the more interesting question is the status of whatever contract CTA had with Mills Corp., which was the original developer, about providing the Airport Express service. When Carole Brown was posting that she "did not favor direct service without eventually implementing express service" and she "did not favor express service that interfered with current service," I asked how CTA was going to fulfill the contract, but got no response.

However, the answer probably is that Huberman somehow got out of the contract with Freed when announcing that CTA was only going to build out the station to a shell.

• 10 months later...

So according to this article on the homepage:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/chicago-mayor-rahm-emanuel-speed-up-cta-trains-ohare-midway-airports-downtown-loop-20120208,

Mayor Em wants to shave ten more miutes off the the O"Hare branch of the Blue Line. United employees want an express train and I want a 100 million dollars.

Though it will never happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the reversible lanes of the Kennedy turn into track for said express trains. The tunnel under Lake Street could be extended past where the Blue Line turns at Milwaukee to the expresseay then under the expressway to Ohio where it would rise and run in the reversible lanes to near Montrose. Perhaps these trains may still need to stop at Jefferson Pk and beyond, but doable if you can get the Feds to pay for it. Then you could alternate Blue Line trains (local) from O'Hare with express trains, with the expresses going into the Block 37 station then via Red Line tracks and 13th St incline and Orange Line out to Midway.

I know those who drive the Kennedy everyday would abhor that idea, seeing how congested the Kennedy is now, but why does everyone have to drive anyway? Compared to other cities, our expressway system sucks, but that is a story for another day.

So according to this article on the homepage:

http://www.myfoxchic...n-loop-20120208,

Mayor Em wants to shave ten more miutes off the the O"Hare branch of the Blue Line. United employees want an express train and I want a 100 million dollars.

Though it will never happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the reversible lanes of the Kennedy turn into track for said express trains. The tunnel under Lake Street could be extended past where the Blue Line turns at Milwaukee to the expresseay then under the expressway to Ohio where it would rise and run in the reversible lanes to near Montrose. Perhaps these trains may still need to stop at Jefferson Pk and beyond, but doable if you can get the Feds to pay for it. Then you could alternate Blue Line trains (local) from O'Hare with express trains, with the expresses going into the Block 37 station then via Red Line tracks and 13th St incline and Orange Line out to Midway.

Given that the CTA doesn't have the money for all of Rahm's Red Line plans, but still holding consultant hearings on the north side pie in the sky, I don't see anything you state implied in the FoxChicago article. Knocking 10 minutes off probably only implies more track work, as the references to the stretch of the old L indicate.

If they really wanted to speed things up, they could bring back AB service. It would also speed things up (or at least take care of capacity problems) if they short turned half the trains at UIC Halsted. However, no one is giving me a $500K consultant contract to come up with any of that.

Given that the CTA doesn't have the money for all of Rahm's Red Line plans, but still holding consultant hearings on the north side pie in the sky, I don't see anything you state implied in the FoxChicago article. Knocking 10 minutes off probably only implies more track work, as the references to the stretch of the old L indicate.

If they really wanted to speed things up, they could bring back AB service. It would also speed things up (or at least take care of capacity problems) if they short turned half the trains at UIC Halsted. However, no one is giving me a $500K consultant contract to come up with any of that.

These politicians definitely don't ride the blue line. Knocking 10 minutes off the blue line commute is impossible. The only real slow zone on the line is currently between Division and Chicago and that because those stations have been in the process of a lite renew/rehab lately. Remember in the 80's when there was AB service, they had the signs that said 18 minutes to loop. That was quicker and they didn't have one man operation which slows down the service alot. (They could be losing as much as 30 seconds a stop) If they could remedy that maybe they could shave 10 more minutes. I guess that's the downside of island stations. Green line by comparison is quicker with it's mostly non island type stations. Too bad they couldn't install cameras on the cars and have the operator check there doors through visual inspections right off a cab monitor without leaving the drivers position. They could relocate all the door controls to one side of the cab. Then they could possibly have a one man operation as fast as a two man.

... Too bad they couldn't install cameras on the cars and have the operator check there doors through visual inspections right off a cab monitor without leaving the drivers position. They could relocate all the door controls to one side of the cab. Then they could possibly have a one man operation as fast as a two man.

They already have cameras on the platform; that's why there are all the TVs near the front, especially notable at Addison, to monitor the doors. Hence, the only time that would be saved is going across the cab, although I've been on trans where they tried to speed that up, such as by hitting the "next stop" button on the Mr. CTA device while heading across.

I suppose though, like me, someone in da Mare's office is willing to pay you $500K to consult on that.:lol:

When the line opened from Jeff Park to O'Hare, the time from Clark and Lake was 35 minutes. It is currently 45 minutes. What is different? It was mentioned here. Resume skip stop and put conductors back on the trains. You would instantly get back to 35 minute trips...maybe less since the speed limit west of Jeff is now 70 instead of 55. Wouldn't cost $500 million either. Bonehead politicians. And I'll now collect my $500,000 consulting fee please ! :angry: