Block 37 CTA Superstation

Scionic

Another thing that's kind of interesting, if you inquire about Kiewit Reyes, A.J.V. they give the payments they made for the block 37 subway tunnel connections. They said they paid out $5 million on that. So what happened to the project, because that never happened unless they mean interior excavation of the site which is not what it says. Or the signaling they installed in the dearborn subway with platform cuts, but that doesn't seem like a $5 million project.

http://vcsearch.transitchicago.com/vendorDetail.php?VENDOR_ID=27748

Considering that about $330 million had been spent on the project until Huberman had the board restrict it to finishing out the shell, $5 million would be comparative "small change." Note that it was pretty early in the project (2006 on a 2005 spec.) and probably had something to do with blowing out the walls at the Washington station, and the platform cuts, as you indicated.

Considering that about $330 million had been spent on the project until Huberman had the board restrict it to finishing out the shell, $5 million would be comparative "small change." Note that it was pretty early in the project (2006 on a 2005 spec.) and probably had something to do with blowing out the walls at the Washington station, and the platform cuts, as you indicated.

So what, the consultants made $5 million? I wonder who's the contractor on the shell?

So what, the consultants made $5 million? I wonder who's the contractor on the shell?

You'll have to go back from 2005 through 2010 to research that. Probably all sorts of contractors, as the signal project was a separate project, for instance.

Also, I don't think it is a consultant contract, as the entry for $211,284,075.44 is about the total cost of the track replacement for the Red Line South, according to the Nov. 2013 construction report.

• 9 months later...

I was recently reading the plans for the Airport Express service, and they were honestly terrible. I never knew that they actually planned to run express trains behind regular trains and would be stuck behind them all the way to the airport. Who's gonna pay $17 to take a refurbished L train that runs less frequently and takes the same amount of time?

The biggest disappointment is that the (incredibly poorly thought) plans were cancelled after Block 37 was more or less complete. Even worse is that the Block 37 station has no use whatsoever. Maybe it could be outfitted as some super swanky underground rail operations center.

• Upvote 1

I was recently reading the plans for the Airport Express service, and they were honestly terrible. I never knew that they actually planned to run express trains behind regular trains and would be stuck behind them all the way to the airport. Who's gonna pay $17 to take a refurbished L train that runs less frequently and takes the same amount of time?

The biggest disappointment is that the (incredibly poorly thought) plans were cancelled after Block 37 was more or less complete. Even worse is that the Block 37 station has no use whatsoever. Maybe it could be outfitted as some super swanky underground rail operations center.

I doubt that the CTA would move the top secret control center from Racine Ave.

Plus the unused station is actually too valuable a space for that.

I'm surprised they haven't used it for some weird restaurant.

As for the Airport Express, I think that there were passing tracks proposed for the express trains.

The CRT and the CTA did for decades......on the two track Garfield Park "L". The ran CA&E interurbans behind, in front, and around Garfield "L"s.

Basically, though, you are living Ask Carole of about 2006. There was a consultant's report about then, suggesting first direct service behind the locals, followed by express service in about 2015 (in time for the Chicago Olympics) of express service, requiring either bypass tracks around the stations on the Logan Square connector portion (now getting the mild rehabilitation) or an L over the UP-NW tracks,. either of which to Jefferson Park, at which point they said that the Kennedy Expressway (I-90) would have to be rebuilt so they might as well move the lanes apart so that they could put 4 tracks in the median.

The consultant's report said there would have to be about a $1.5 billion private investment in that, which wasn't going to happen. Since it was an elitists' service, the feds were not going to contribute.

That essentially died in 2009, when Daley mumbled something about bad switches and he wanted a maglev. Also, Huberman asked the board* at that time for just enough funds to finish the shell, and it was reported that CTA paid about $300 million and got nothing out of it. There was also a small amount of TIF money that went into it.

Carole Brown defended going ahead with the project, despite her reservations about the consultant's report, on the basis that it would still connect the Red and Blue Line subways. We didn't get that, nor the Washington-State station reopened.

For that matter, since only the shell was completed, there really isn't a station, certainly no tracks.

Sic always transit Chicago.

_________

*Starting page 33 of the pdf

Basically, though, you are living Ask Carole of about 2006. There was a consultant's report about then, suggesting first direct service behind the locals, followed by express service in about 2015 (in time for the Chicago Olympics) of express service, requiring either bypass tracks around the stations on the Logan Square connector portion (now getting the mild rehabilitation) or an L over the UP-NW tracks,. either of which to Jefferson Park, at which point they said that the Kennedy Expressway (I-90) would have to be rebuilt so they might as well move the lanes apart so that they could put 4 tracks in the median.

The consultant's report said there would have to be about a $1.5 billion private investment in that, which wasn't going to happen. Since it was an elitists' service, the feds were not going to contribute.

That essentially died in 2009, when Daley mumbled something about bad switches and he wanted a maglev. Also, Huberman asked the board* at that time for just enough funds to finish the shell, and it was reported that CTA paid about $300 million and got nothing out of it. There was also a small amount of TIF money that went into it.

Carole Brown defended going ahead with the project, despite her reservations about the consultant's report, on the basis that it would still connect the Red and Blue Line subways. We didn't get that, nor the Washington-State station reopened.

For that matter, since only the shell was completed, there really isn't a station, certainly no tracks.

Sic always transit Chicago.

_________

*Starting page 33 of the pdf

They were full of crap to begin with. They will always have a broken agenda no matter what project to come that can extremely build some revenue but that's CTA (well, RTA). Nothing but absolute f-ups.

• 5 months later...

Did you guys hear Rahm is now talking about the O'Hare express train.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-ohare-access-poll-getting-around-met-0601-20150531-column.html#page=1

Maybe they are going about this the wrong way. The Kennedy needs to be ran with express buses on it's shoulders, so why not try an express bus to O'Hare. They could even station the terminal at Block 37. When support for a "L" train express gathers steam, then they could go after funding or they could even get a third party interested in sponsoring it. There needs to be a express bus network on all the expressways. Maybe people would be more inclined to Park N' Ride if they provided some creature comforts like wifi and a usb charging center in the consoles and some more comfortable seats.

Did you guys hear Rahm is now talking about the O'Hare express train.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-ohare-access-poll-getting-around-met-0601-20150531-column.html#page=1

Maybe they are going about this the wrong way. The Kennedy needs to be ran with express buses on it's shoulders, so why not try an express bus to O'Hare. They could even station the terminal at Block 37. When support for a "L" train express gathers steam, then they could go after funding or they could even get a third party interested in sponsoring it. There needs to be a express bus network on all the expressways. Maybe people would be more inclined to Park N' Ride if they provided some creature comforts like wifi and a usb charging center in the consoles and some more comfortable seats.

​CTA isn't Pace, and an express bus on a Kennedy with a 1 hour travel time to O'Hare isn't going to be any quicker than a 45 minute ride on the L on a "local" train.

You seem to forget that all expressways within the city limits have L lines either in their right of way or parallel to them. The rationale for the Pace system is that there isn't any rapid transit or Metra parallel to its routes.

There also at least used to be private airport coaches to O'Hare.

On the main topic,this just seems to be more surveying without an end game,

​CTA isn't Pace, and an express bus on a Kennedy with a 1 hour travel time to O'Hare isn't going to be any quicker than a 45 minute ride on the L on a "local" train.

You seem to forget that all expressways within the city limits have L lines either in their right of way or parallel to them. The rationale for the Pace system is that there isn't any rapid transit or Metra parallel to its routes.

There also at least used to be private airport coaches to O'Hare.

On the main topic,this just seems to be more surveying without an end game,

​Well the trains do stop. This would not. It's an hour only if you're stuck in traffic. Direct access could be 20-30 minutes tops, but the bad thing about it is the Kennedy is not next to Block 37. But maybe if they went down Randolph, that would get them there quicker. they almost would need an express bus lane there. Then tell me that's not going to work. Half the battle is defeated not having to take luggage up and down several flights of stairs. (no elevator) So you can add that time consideration. Just hop on the bus and your off.

​Well the trains do stop. This would not. It's an hour only if you're stuck in traffic. Direct access could be 20-30 minutes tops, but the bad thing about it is the Kennedy is not next to Block 37. But maybe if they went down Randolph, that would get them there quicker. they almost would need an express bus lane there. Then tell me that's not going to work. Half the battle is defeated not having to take luggage up and down several flights of stairs. (no elevator) So you can add that time consideration. Just hop on the bus and your off.

​You still ignored that those who care about their luggage and things use the private carriers.

Also, is the bus going to get to the terminal or just the Kiss and Ride? There is an elevator at the Brittney Haywood Memorial Station.

Maybe Emanuel shouldn't have rebuilt the Dan Ryan RT and just relied on the R buses, too? Which basically proves that there is no way to afford both.

I also should have mentioned that there probably isn't enough clear shoulder on the Kennedy Expressway, with ramps every couple of blocks on the right side and the Local/Express Kennedy/Edens crossovers on the left.

​You still ignored that those who care about their luggage and things use the private carriers.

Also, is the bus going to get to the terminal or just the Kiss and Ride? There is an elevator at the Brittney Haywood Memorial Station.

Maybe Emanuel shouldn't have rebuilt the Dan Ryan RT and just relied on the R buses, too? Which basically proves that there is no way to afford both.

​Probably they can't go all the way to the front door (9-11) but they could always get as close as they can. Express walkways can be built. You see an expressway network would benefit many riders like Cubs roundtripper riders and who knows a possible NWTC to downtown service could emerge. It wouldn't just be O'Hare riders. A way to get to Woodfield/NWTC on a one ride service from the loop sounds interesting enough to pursue. An express run to Northbrook Court or an express run to Oakbrook Center/Yorktown or even something south could work. They really need a spoke system that goes to all areas. This is alot cheaper than building and extending "L' lines and it would serve a growing population base  Doing nothing will get you nothing. This is why we have a shell and nothing to go with it.

At a time when several expressways are to go under construction like the Ike or Kennedy, it would be a step backwards not to incorporate that into the project.

​Probably they can't go all the way to the front door (9-11) but they could always get as close as they can. Express walkways can be built. You see an expressway network would benefit many riders like Cubs roundtripper riders and who knows a possible NWTC to downtown service could emerge. It wouldn't just be O'Hare riders. A way to get to Woodfield/NWTC on a one ride service from the loop sounds interesting enough to pursue. An express run to Northbrook Court or an express run to Oakbrook Center/Yorktown or even something south could work. They really need a spoke system that goes to all areas. This is alot cheaper than building and extending "L' lines and it would serve a growing population base  Doing nothing will get you nothing. This is why we have a shell and nothing to go with it.

At a time when several expressways are to go under construction like the Ike or Kennedy, it would be a step backwards not to incorporate that into the project.

​No indication that the Kennedy is going under construction soon (did in the 90s). The Eisenhower reconstruction plans are L until Hillside and bus lanes only past there. There are no plans to bring back Pace 747 and extend it to Michigan Avenue. Northbrook Court gets the benefit of whatever the 626/Edens plan is.

And, as I mentioned with regard to front door, the subway station gets them there more closely than any bus does.

Apparently, what is actually needed is to build the O'Hare western access, but the current Illinois 390 Tollway project doesn't get into the airport, but apparently only to the ring Tollway proposed to be constructed after it is. One could put a bus on Illinois 390, I suppose.