New Flyer Assignments

sw4400

When this bus was tested, Archer, Chicago, Kedzie, and 77th got use of the #1000 prototype, so the 245 that come in will be spread out in some way to these four Garages.

But when the DELF's come in next year, I wonder what garage will get them.  I believe that North Park will get these buses as this Garage seems to be the "Test Garage" for most of the trial buses(I know the CompoBus was put at Archer before it's unfortunate early retirement, but the CTA didn't plan on retiring this Bus so soon).  They were the Garage that tested the 5800's when the CTA first got them and they still have all of those that are still operable.

I may be wrong, but I just believe that the Hybrids will be on North Park property for a while before being spread to the other garages or they may keep them there until they are sent back to New Flyer(they're calling them prototypes, so these Buses are most likely trial-only, like the 5900 Series were).  We'll see what happens in '06....;)

I believe that Chicago, Archer, 77th, Kedzie and 103rd will get the DLF's (1000-1244) and North Park, 103rd, 74th or Forest Glen will get the Hybrids. That is what I think. I think Chicago, Forest Glen and Kedzie (these are the Garages I ride out of most) and 77th should get the DLF's while the Hybrids go to the rest.

I believe that Chicago, Archer, 77th, Kedzie and 103rd will get the DELF's (1000-1244) and North Park, 103rd, 74th or Forest Glen will get the Hybrids. That is what I think. I think Chicago, Forest Glen and Kedzie (these are the Garages I ride out of most) and 77th should get the DELF's while the Hybrids go to the rest.

Just a correction on your post...

DELF=Hybrid

DLF= 1000-1244

When this bus was tested, Archer, Chicago, Kedzie, and 77th got use of the #1000 prototype, so the 245 that come in will be spread out in some way to these four Garages.

As previously noted, this is only a supposition, based on one piece of evidence, and, except for Kedzie, contrary to the CTA service standards. Again, unless someone here has inside information from Richard Winston, how can we predict where something that will be received in about 2 years (late 2007) will be assigned?

If CTA were assigning the hybrids so as to maximize their benefit, it would be on local lines with frequent stops, so as to maximize regenerative braking. Some candidates might be 20 Madison, 81 Lawrence, 155 Devon; maybe 22 Clark. Definitely not Lake Shore Drive expresses. Also, since it is a test procurement to determine if more should be ordered, they should be tested around the system, although CTA generally hasn't assigned buses in that manner.

DLF's: Early 2006

DELF's: Mid 2006

Opus: Late 2006 or Early 2007

To Busjack: I have no idea who Richard Winston is. I never spoke to or met the man. This is just a speculation on my part based on where Prototype #1000 was tested, and where the 5800's(trial fleet) were assigned to since their arrival in 1995.

If CTA were assigning the hybrids so as to maximize their benefit, it would be on local lines with frequent stops, so as to maximize regenerative braking. Some candidates might be 20 Madison, 81 Lawrence, 155 Devon; maybe 22 Clark. Definitely not Lake Shore Drive expresses. Also, since it is a test procurement to determine if more should be ordered, they should be tested around the system, although CTA generally hasn't assigned buses in that manner.

Would the object here be local routes with longer distance to maximize the benefit or just local routes in general. If that is the case, why not put them in a smaller area such as Evanston, for example, where, I am sure, brakes would be used quite often. Also, you could put them on routes such as 157 or 124 downtown. I am sure you would get lots of stop and go along those routes. Just a thought.

In the realm of speculation, the Optimas are probably going to Evanston (why else would CTA order 50 to 125 instead of the 13 needed to replace the Orions?). Passenger load probably justifies testing the hybrids on 124 and 157. Distance wouldn't be my criterion (assuming that the run is more than a tripper), but the number of stops and passenger load would be. For instance, 155 is relatively short, but very heavy.

Technically I wouldn't be suprised if those are put on any of the south side routes (save for 34) since there's not that many people who would ride those routes later than 7pm on a given weekend. If you ever ridden 103, 106, or 112 on a given weekend, or later than 8pm on a weekday, there's not that many people who would turn up on those routes.

I can see the optimas being used on Evanston, U of Chicago, the NW feeders, and perhaps maybe used on lighter load routes in the evenings (50, 97, 124, et. al.).

The hybrids would more than likely come out of routes from Chicago or Kedzie Garages, since most of those routes (except for the lake shore express buses, 3, 4, 22, 29, 36, 56, etc.) are originally from those two garages (Kedzie = 7, 10, 12, 21, 124, 156, 157; chicago = 19, 20, 70, 66, 65) and they have heavy passenger loads with the excessive stopping.

Just a few ideas, of course. If this plan works, would the contract to option more buses include the hybrids as well as the standard D40LF's?