#5800 New Flyer's Lifetime Assignments, Retirements & Other Info

BusHunter

With regard to early retirements, it seemed like at the time, these buses had a disproportionate number of engine and battery fires. Pretty much, when there was a TV story about a bus fire, especially on Michigan, it was a 5800.

Why did they end up looking and sounding so much better than the 1000s?

One would have to wonder if that was the case.

They got a complete rebuild, including repainting and new engines about 2003 or so, but were gone by the end of 2008 (I guess BusHunter has 4 officially still around into Feb. 2009, but I think the consensus was they were off the street by the end of Nov. 2008).

I had made the anecdotal observation about a "lot of fires," but BusHunter's list has 6 as of 2003, or about 10%. Since he has that some returned to service, I guess some burned ones went through the rebuild at Bus and Truck, while some were not salvageable. Maybe BusHunter can expand on that.

Is the "sounding" just the "Name that Tune" between the DD50EGR and the Cummins that are in the current buses? Or do the Cummins have some sort of defect, now prompting the grant to replace them in the first 400 or so buses?

Inquiring minds have to know.

Not sure, but I know they always had the Detroit Series-50(Engines sounded the same from first use to after replacement of engines in '03). However, 5862, 5863 and 5864 were kinda like 9844 was back in the early part of it's service. These three had a smaller tailpipe and a cover on it like the Flxible 6000's did. The idle sounded like a Cummins Engine, perhaps a Cummins ISC(later used in the NOVA LFS). But toward the end, these three got the large silver pipe like the other New Flyers had and also the Detroit Series-50 Engine. Where the engines that were in these buses before went, I haven't a clue.

These buses had an excellent run if they came out in 1996, series like the 5800 and MCTS 4000-4100 are exactly the same, ours retied in 2010-2011 so these buses really stood the test of time. we did have one burn up on i-94, but other than a couple getting into minor accidents, our new flyers were great. other than the repaint they got and the midlife rehab that we/never knew about, the df40l held up excellent for 12~14 years it served

One would have to wonder if that was the case.

They got a complete rebuild, including repainting and new engines about 2003 or so, but were gone by the end of 2008 (I guess BusHunter has 4 officially still around into Feb. 2009, but I think the consensus was they were off the street by the end of Nov. 2008).

I had made the anecdotal observation about a "lot of fires," but BusHunter's list has 6 as of 2003, or about 10%. Since he has that some returned to service, I guess some burned ones went through the rebuild at Bus and Truck, while some were not salvageable. Maybe BusHunter can expand on that.

Is the "sounding" just the "Name that Tune" between the DD50EGR and the Cummins that are in the current buses? Or do the Cummins have some sort of defect, now prompting the grant to replace them in the first 400 or so buses?

Inquiring minds have to know.

If you look at the what's left for #5800's thread (I had to do a search for 5812 to find it) it does indicate the buses were gone 2/2009. As far as bus fires some fires were worse than others. That's why some returned. I guess it all depends on whether they can get a hold on the fire before it consumes too much. Probably they would have lost alot more if it wasn't for the extinguishers they added to the engine compartment.

I agree. I would always rather grab those 5800s all day, everyday than the 1000s. I love the engine sound of those 5800s and I like their back windows reminds me of a Flyer D901s. Their engine has a flavor of M.A.N sound while accelerates and comes to a stop. They should've kept them until this day, odviously CTA done wasted their money rebuild/ or rehabbed them and then retired them a year or two later.

R.I.P 5800s, Always miss them much!!

They should've kept them until this day, odviously CTA done wasted their money rebuild/ or rehabbed them and then retired them a year or two later.

Again, let's get this right. The Press Release indicating the start of the project was dated 9/4/03, and the 2005 budget says that it was completed in 2004.

Given that they were mostly retired in Nov. 2008 (a few lasting into Feb. 2009*), they, for the most part, lasted 4 years after the rebuild.

One would have thought that since it was a midlife rebuild, they should have lasted 6, and the 6000s for the most part outlasted them, but it isn't the fiasco you imply.

*BusHunter's post seemed to ring a bell.

I agree. I would always rather grab those 5800s all day, everyday than the 1000s. I love the engine sound of those 5800s and I like their back windows reminds me of a Flyer D901s. Their engine has a flavor of M.A.N sound while accelerates and comes to a stop. They should've kept them until this day, odviously CTA done wasted their money rebuild/ or rehabbed them and then retired them a year or two later.

Well at least you know there is still exCTA #5858 assigned to the Fire dept. So theyre not totally dead!. And I believe the fire dept has one additional NF #5800 somewhere in the dept. Im still trying to figure out where it may be stored. Plus, the three Flxible 6000s that are currently sitting in the CFD storage lot at North ave/Throop. Last week my chief wanted me to drive the bus to the fire academy, stay with it until the afternoon and then bring it back to its firehouse, Eng Co. 107 1101 S. California. Unfortunately the person they had assigned who was running late, showed up! I was bummed out!! :)

When were the 5800s(diesel, not propane)retired? At one time, there were some 5800-series propane buses from back in the day!

When were the 5800s(diesel, not propane)retired? At one time, there were some 5800-series propane buses from back in the day!

Youre talkin about the Flxible old look propanes that ran in the 1950s. There were a series of buses numbered in the #5500-5999.

How about reading the first post???????

If you mean what 5750 took you to mean some time roughly between 1973 and 1975 (acquisition of the 7400s through the final phase out of propanes). I saw a few (probably 5700s) on 36-Broadway a bit after when I thought they should be gone (i.e. all propanes gone from 69th about 1974, and North Park having received its 7400s).

Which do you like? The 1000s?(2006 not 1972)or the old 4000s? You miss the old 4000s?

I like 1932+, but I prefer the 5800s anyday over ANY 1000. I miss the old 4000s, I'm not a fan of new 4000s. I prefer the MAN Artics, and NABIS over the newer 4000s.

Why do you ask? Do you like them too? 0.0

Again, let's get this right. The Press Release indicating the start of the project was dated 9/4/03, and the 2005 budget says that it was completed in 2004.

Given that they were mostly retired in Nov. 2008 (a few lasting into Feb. 2009*), they, for the most part, lasted 4 years after the rebuild.

One would have thought that since it was a midlife rebuild, they should have lasted 6, and the 6000s for the most part outlasted them, but it isn't the fiasco you imply.

*BusHunter's post seemed to ring a bell.

The 2005 budget would conflict with what I posted about mid life rehabs. I don't have those complete until 2007. The only way they could justify that statement was if they meant the engines were all installed during that period, which could've been possible. But as far as any exterior changes those were happening as late as 2007.

I like 1932+, but I prefer the 5800s anyday over ANY 1000. I miss the old 4000s, I'm not a fan of new 4000s. I prefer the MAN Artics, and NABIS over the newer 4000s.

Why do you ask? Do you like them too? 0.0

Why, yes! I do like them(the diesel 5800s, not the propane 5800s)even though I've never been on the diesel 5800s! And as for the 2006 1000-series buses, I also like them, too, even though I've never been on them either! So I was just curious about which buses you prefer! I don't know if you remember the Flxible propane 5800s! I sure do(when I was a little boy in the early 1970s)