why should the orion i models leave??

busfan4022

I think the easiest answer to the question is age. The buses have run their course and are pretty beat up. In fact, most of the buses that are still running were not high on the drivers list to start with. Many drivers used to complain that the 2300 series did not have good pick up (or at least not as good as the 8700 (8800-8900) series, which were the first of the Orion I's to arrive. They used to say that there was a lot of drag, did not accelerate as well and jerked a lot. I would imagine after 10 years, those problems still exist. I am not too fond of Pace's newest models (both NABI's and Orion VI's) and will miss the old Orion's...but their time has come.

i rode the orion i bus the other day and i enjoyed the ride i really like the bus i really like the way it runs dispite the defects in it i dont really think the bus is really bad so why is it retiring

The question is too indefinite. Since this was posted under CTA Bus, I assume you mean the 4900s on the U of C routes. In this case, they were purchased secondhand from Pace as a stopgap measure until CTA receives the Optima buses. The Orions are already 16 years old, and, for instance, their signs do not work.

Trainman8119 was referring to buses still owned by Pace. Pace2322 reports that the 2300s are being rehabbed and some 2000s are going back into service, even though they are not listed in the roster in Pace's budget (click here to trace pace2322's posts). In any event, Pace does not have the capital funds to replace any 2300s at least until 2008 (and, unless it intends to replace them with 30 footers, probably not until 2012).

P.S. i wonder why some posters dont use proper grammar, cAPITALIZATION, and punctuation (especially if you are from the U of C):(

I know what you mean about the age difference,but the one I rode was fine(route #14. I dont know the exact number).Im a big fan of a Orion I series from pace. Even though I rode this certain one only 3 times. The interior was fine and it didnt drag at all. I just feel that the cta is just not keeping it long enough. Even though we are getting the Optima Buses. From the pictures they seem small and uncomfortable! In general the new optima buses look just plain werid. This situation is smilar to the NABICompobus.Even though the CTA did need new arti's. I like the new NABI's artic's but they are having to many problems.

I'm a fan of the Original Orion I's, and I've waited for years to see them in CTA livery. But if they have to go, they have to go (sad, yes, but is it truely neccessary?) because of their old age.

I'm not even a fan of the Novas, let alone the NABI's. I don't understand why they didn't get decent buses that wouldn't falter or just look weird. In fact, I had a discussion with a driver out of North Park a couple of years ago, and she detested both Novas and NABI's (she wasn't that fond of the Orion VI's as it was).

Anyways, I think that the CTA could've done much better with the bids with a company that was going to do much more quality work. I haven't seen problems with the NOVA's other than the inherent design, and we all know the problems with the NABIs (They've should've gotten Neoplans or New Flyers to be honest).

But I think they've learned their lesson with the NABIs and hopefully won't run into problems with the 1000's and later the Optimus. And I wish they didn't have to get rid of the 4900's, but if they have to, they have to.

I agree with everything DSORRELL24 says.To me it doesnt make sense to buy relieable buses ,and get rid of them in just a short amount of  time;such as the NABICompo bus. CTA has spent thousands of dollars for buses, and for the buses they need they retire them. I know the TMC RTS buses are getting old but they are still relieable. This is maybe the one of the reasons why CTA needs more money. If they cut back on buying buses they are rarely going to use and all this space age new looking buses(optimus bus).Maybe they will have some extra money.But sad to say out with the old relieable, and in with the new.

• 2 weeks later...

The orions are a way better bus then any nabi that pace has.There ride better and everthing. Funny how i some of the cta ones that pace had in the ealy 90s when south had them.I have to see any orion go since there were well made buses.I just hope somone will save one in cta and pace colors.

It seems like Buslover and busfan should trade places; Buslover take a trip to the south side, and busfan to the north suburbs (Wilmette and Rosemont are accessible to by the L) to ride the Orion Is, which apparently will be there for a long time. It would expand both of your horizons. (in the cta's case Buslover is correct on this one. why not bring back the seattle MANs, which were bought for the same reason, too?)

Orions are like gmu cam never kill them.There the best buses made in the 60 and 90 and the newer ones are not bad to.To met the 6000s are the best low floor out there to buy.Alot better the a nabi anyday.I will take any orin that pace has over any nabi anyday. then i have a bus that wont brake down half way out on the street.

Busjack is right. Ill try to make it up to the Northside this weekend. To see what it is like.Also which pace route does the bus run on up north??

Like I said, go to http://pacebus.com and put in Rosemont or Linden in the Route Finder. However, many of those don't run on the weekend. You probably will have better luck Saturday afternoon with 422 or 423 (you can also get 423 at Harlem). Sometimes, mid-day runs use 6600s, but they haven't recently. 213 from Davis and 215 from Howard also generally use Orion Is on Saturday, but, again, might use 6600s on some runs.

On Rosemont schedules, look for contract operators, such as Academy.

Pace Northwest runs about 1/3 Orion Is and 2/3 Orion VIs during rush hour, but Saturday could be anything from nearly all Orion VIs (usual) to a good number of Orion Is.

It seems like Buslover and busfan should trade places; Buslover take a trip to the south side, and busfan to the north suburbs (Wilmette and Rosemont are accessible to by the L) to ride the Orion Is.

Hey,today i rode #97 (bus number 4404)route to Old Orchad Shopping center. At the last stop i finally saw a Pace Orion #2218 or something like that; at #422 bus stop, with a NABI(route#208) and finally ,another Orion #2348. I was able to ride #2348. I liked it, it had good acceration, but sorta bumpy..I didnt like the fact that at every stop the bus has to kneel down to pick up ALL passengers. I took pics of the bus at the Red line station(with an Orion VI.) But , i didnt have a digital camera so i cant post them any time soon. I did like the ride in general, but i dont like the buses slight defect. But i still wish that the 4915 series will still be in livery.

[attachment=110]

P.S. is this bus dedcated to this route? And was i on the correct PACE Orion. Also i got this pic off of google. I'll put mine up shortly.

2218 was probably 2278. The NABI was on 422. North Shore tends to mix up its buses (35 and 40 foot Orions, Nova Classics, 6624-6628 and 6262-6267, 6322 NABIs), but the 2390s and 6262s usually don't run on Saturday. Their Orions are basically 2273-2285 and 2339-2350, with a few added in (such as 2330) and missing (such as 2340 seen on NW routes).

We at (103rd garage) have I believe 13 ORION buses. If it was on the #14 Bus Route, it came out of our garage. They replaced the 13 4900 series buses we had. (They were a narrow version of the TMC bus). Getting parts for the ORIONS for us seem to be a problem for some reason. Im not sure if it's becasue e are not keeping them much longer or what it is. We were supposed to get rid of them in Janueary, but now the date is set for July. I must say though..... it is a well built bus, the AC gets Ice - Cold, and working on the eletrical system couldnt be any easier.