Run numbers

Scionic

I was on the Red Line heading to work the other day, and Mr. CTA welcomed me aboard to Red Line run 999. Is this a run number reserved for an unplanned run? Or was this a case of the operator getting in the train and going "yeah whatever, 999."

I figure the autoannounce figures out what line and destination it is based on the run number, and anything in the 800s and 900s is the Red Line, so 999 would do the job.

Did you see what was on the run box (at the front of the train) or was it too late?

Besides cranking up the manual run box, I suppose that if we have any train operator here, he or she can tell us what has to be punched into the announcement system to get Mr. CTA to say something. It was explained with regard to buses.

This is the setup for CTA "L" run numbers presently...

000-099: 000s Green Line, Harlem Terminal

100-199: Blue Line, O'Hare Terminal

200-299: Blue Line, Forest Park Terminal

300-399: Pink Line, 54th Terminal

400-499: Brown Line, Kimball Terminal

500-589: Purple Line, Howard Terminal

590-599: Yellow Line, Howard Terminal

600-699: Green Line, Ashland Terminal

700-799: Orange Line, Midway Terminal

800-899: Red Line, Howard Terminal

900-999: Red Line, 95th Terminal

It's possible "Run 999" is a legit number used. I don't know how the CTA assigns these. I don't know if they give Operator #45678 Run #915 and Operator #34567 who comes in 20 min later Run #999.

999 wouldn't be a real run number. Run numbers are assigned in order of operator signup time, and scheduled extra runs for a special event are just tacked on to the end of the regular run number series (so, if the last regular run out of 95th is 930, then the first extra would be 931, for example).

There's no way that there would be a total of 99 runs scheduled for a terminal for a day. It's theoretically possible that someone was pulled off the extra board to operate an emergency fill in without a schedule and they just picked 999 because they didn't have a run number, but it's more likely that the operator was trying to avoid anyone knowing his real run number, just like those that conveniently fail to activate the announcement when the run number is included, even though they play every single other announcement on the trip. Never understood why operators do that, but that's the way it is sometimes.

999 wouldn't be a real run number. Run numbers are assigned in order of operator signup time, and scheduled extra runs for a special event are just tacked on to the end of the regular run number series (so, if the last regular run out of 95th is 930, then the first extra would be 931, for example).

There's no way that there would be a total of 99 runs scheduled for a terminal for a day. It's theoretically possible that someone was pulled off the extra board to operate an emergency fill in without a schedule and they just picked 999 because they didn't have a run number, but it's more likely that the operator was trying to avoid anyone knowing his real run number, just like those that conveniently fail to activate the announcement when the run number is included, even though they play every single other announcement on the trip. Never understood why operators do that, but that's the way it is sometimes.

I've heard silence on the Green Line in regards to the run number, though I don't think Run 000 actually exists. Welcome aboard Green Line run number (silence). Clinton is next. In the direction of travel, doors open on the right at Clinton.