CTA Bus Driver Beaten

sw4400

It is not safe being a bus driver because my friend out of Kedzie Garage tell me that a 6 month pregnant bus driver got rob at Devom/Kedzie Terminal and other driver on #18 got taser on the bus and the public did not know about it.

Sometimes as a bus driver(male or female)you just have to be careful out there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in this external shut-off switch and panel on the outside of the bus. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the panel locked and only opened remotely? Couldn't a code be used or a special key? There has got to be a way to keep random people from being able to stop the bus whenever they feel like it!! This is not safe!

Would anyone be interested in talking with me privately regarding their experiences with safety on CTA's buses? and/or ways to improve the safety on CTA's buses with technology?

I would. This issue is not getting the attention it really deserves.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a CTA issue, but rather a Pace issue. Seems to fit the thread, though:

This past week, a North Division driver was assaulted on the eastbound 572 at Washington and Lewis, in Waukegan.

I heard about it from a couple of drivers I am buddies with. Happened to another driver I know, and do PC repairs for. So I called him that evening to get the info first-hand.

Apparently, a man boarded and ran a circuitbreaker pass through the BTPU. The BTPUs around here often crop up issues. Sometimes they will read only certain passes, rejecting any other type (Some will never accept school passes, some will never read 30 day passes, so forth).

Anyway, the BTPU showed 'Invalid'. He pulled it out of the slot (ejected it to his side of the machine, instead of the passenger side), briefly looked at it to confirm that it ought to be valid, and see if there are any blemishes that would maybe keep the BTPU from reading. Then hands it back to the passenger and tells him to go have a seat.

Well, apparently the guy was drunk/high/both, as he started walking back, the threatened to "beat your ass", to the driver, for looking at the pass. The idiot then got a few swings in to the shoulder.

Somehow seems even dumber and lower than the cretin that assaulted a driver over a few cents change a year or two ago, and lower than the mental defective that splashed a chemical in a driver's face over $2.25. See, with this moron, he was told he could ride anyway, not pay any money out of pocket, and was even handed his pass.

Last week on bus 6402, I noticed three new cameras. A new camera was mounted on the windshield. A second camera was mounted just above the front door, and a third.camera mounted on the ceiling just past the driver area. The last two cameras are just like the ones on the L platforms. These cameras are in addition to the ones already on the Novas. I haven't been on a Nova since, but it seems related to dtiver assaults as there are no security screens on the Novas like the NFs. I will look out for new cams on Novas. Btw, most of the Nf drivers aren't using their security screens.

Bet that windshield mounted camera is a DriveCam. Pace North was the first division to have them, then afterwards, other divisions got 'em. Pace North's DriveCams originally had a big red button under 'em. Then when other divisions got DriveCams, they got a different model, and North also got the new model then. The new ones have a blue button on either side, and a USB mini-B port (The first ones had a USB pigtail cord, leading to a standard B connector like printers have).

Once had to trip the new DriveCam myself. Some passenger tried to rob me at a bus stop right as the bus approached. Remembering that DriveCams are always recording but not saving, at the trip point, they remember ~10 seconds before point of trip. Got on the bus and hit the camera button as the would-be robber was going nuts on me.

Driver figured out what was going on, and called police to have the robber taken away. I did apologize to the driver for tripping the camera, but also explained that I had to think of my safety, his safety, and that of other passengers too. All ended up well.

• 1 month later...

One of my buddies here at Pace North got the crap taken out of him this morning. He brought he 565 in downtown, and pulled over heading up the hill from the Metra station, where he was to be relieved by another driver. My friend logged out of the IBS, and, per policy, kept the doors closed until the relief driver came. Apparently someone wanted on the bus right there, and the driver would not let him aboard, as policy states to keep the doors closed at that point. Besides, to allow the farebox or BTPU to work properly, would require being logged into the IBS.

So the relief driver relieves my friend, and as he is walking to the crew change car, the thug that wanted aboard, beats the crap out of him.

This friend of mine is in his mid 60s, old enough to collect social security. In addition to being a felony for assaulting a transit employee, it should be considered elder abuse, I think. In any event, the thug ran off before the police could show up. Given how shorthanded Waukegan PD is, the thug probably had plenty of time to do so!

This is the second driver assault up here in the past 2 months. Getting to where I feel a bit uneasy on the buses.