CTA Bus Driver Beaten

sw4400

The battery disconnect is so easily accessible to anyone, it is a wondet it is not a more common occurrence. I wonder why that compartment along with the rear engine compartment where the rear statt engine switch is locatrd doesn't have a key or some lock component.

The New Flyer Battery Disconnect appears to have a keylock(the pic is fuzzy because of the zoom I had to do to show it), but I've seen a small hole which looks like a keyhole on them. The NOVA LFS might not, but I think it does too. There might be a sensor on the bus that indicates the engine compartment is open and alerts the driver(only a driver/mechanic would know for sure, though). As far as a hood lock, no. That's probably for quick access in the instance of an emergency I'm guessing(like a fire in the engine).

post-10-13272610486123_thumb.jpg

post-10-13272610683283_thumb.jpg

The New Flyer Battery Disconnect appears to have a keylock(the pic is fuzzy because of the zoom I had to do to show it), but I've seen a small hole which looks like a keyhole on them. The NOVA LFS might not, but I think it does too. There might be a sensor on the bus that indicates the engine compartment is open and alerts the driver(only a driver/mechanic would know for sure, though). As far as a hood lock, no. That's probably for quick access in the instance of an emergency I'm guessing(like a fire in the engine).

The rear engine compartment doors are never locked on any bus. As for the batt. switch access, I recall on the 6000 Flxibles, they have rubber handles that you just pull off and you gain access to the battery comp. switch. which is located on the drivers side which I believe is on most buses. But this is a tragic reality that some people are becoming extremely bus and train saavy and know the ins and outs of the CTA. I only hope we dont get any copycat incidents now.

This seems to be the only place that says that they found the battery disconnect. Heck, that door is labelled on all Pace buses I have seen, but I would have never thought about messing with it.

This also seems to be about the same place where the guy shot into the 71 bus and killed the girl.

This seems to be the only place that says that they found the battery disconnect. Heck, that door is labelled on all Pace buses I have seen, but I would have never thought about messing with it.

I too noticed that the press doesn't mention how the bus became disabled. Seems more likely that it was through "brute force" methods, than any switch or lever.

What stands out to me, is what could the motive be for something like this? I wonder what the kids' reason for this was? No matter though, this was totally un-called for, and I hope the judge and jury throw the book at these punks!

I too noticed that the press doesn't mention how the bus became disabled. Seems more likely that it was through "brute force" methods, than any switch or lever.

What stands out to me, is what could the motive be for something like this?

Apparently robbery, according to reports, e.g. NBC5, Tribune.

What stands out to me, is what could the motive be for something like this? I wonder what the kids' reason for this was? No matter though, this was totally un-called for, and I hope the judge and jury throw the book at these punks!

I heard about this on the radio this morning. From what they were saying in the radio press release, once they got the bus disabled they beat the driver and robbed the passengers aboard the bus. Witnesses apparently identified them and they were being held on bonds of $150,000. And like Pace buses, the battery disconnect hatch is labeled on CTA buses as well. But like Busjack, I and most other people beyond these young fools thought to go near it.

I was told that this was a common occurence at Dunbar High School at 30th & King Dr. where students would shut off the bus from the rear "for fun". While none of us would dream of doing any such thing, even when we were teenagers, we live in a different time now. Apparently this latest issue was planned out. I don't know if that was a random driver or if they specifically targeted him

I rememeber a few years ago I used to see North Park operators switch the bus off by way of the battery disconnect when doing layovers on the 96 at the Morse Red Line station and they were stopping at the the newstand that used to located there. A few 146 operators used to do the same at the Berwyn Red Line and they wanted to go in the newstand that used to be there. In each instance I used to think that's not really something you want too many people see you be able to do to power down a bus even though not too many people were paying it too much attention. And what immediately caught my attention in this instance is that if these young dummies were able to show that much know how to do something this stupid, they could be putting that same brain power into their educations so they can put those technical wits into accessing a bus's inner workings or those of some other vehicle for more legitimate reasons.

I rememeber a few years ago I used to see North Park operators switch the bus off by way of the battery disconnect when doing layovers on the 96 at the Morse Red Line station and they were stopping at the the newstand that used to located there. A few 146 operators used to do the same at the Berwyn Red Line and they wanted to go in the newstand that used to be there. In each instance I used to think that's not really something you want too many people see you be able to do to power down a bus even though not too many people were paying it too much attention. And what immediately caught my attention in this instance is that if these young dummies were able to show that much know how to do something this stupid, they could be putting that same brain power into their educations so they can put those technical wits into accessing a bus's inner workings or those of some other vehicle for more legitimate reasons.

Just shows you what the mentality is of some. Instead of doing good they use their brains for bad things!

I saw Hilevitch on the TV last night, but only caught "See tomorrow's Tribune," which confirms that it was an unlocked battery disconnect door. It also mentions that the disconnect was there for the fire department, so maybe 5750 would want to comment on that.

Whenever we respond to a vehicle fire or vehicle accident, once the scene is secure one of our main jobs is to disconnect the battery power from the vehicle by either cutting the battery cable or shutting off the battery switch such as CTA or Pace buses. In cars, so that we dont get a painful surprise from the vehicles airbags. So we are required to know where to disconnect the battery power from a car, bus, truck, etc...

I was told that this was a common occurence at Dunbar High School at 30th & King Dr. where students would shut off the bus from the rear "for fun". While none of us would dream of doing any such thing, even when we were teenagers, we live in a different time now. Apparently this latest issue was planned out. I don't know if that was a random driver or if they specifically targeted him

back when i was in high school, it was common to to see buses (tmc's, man americanas, flex 5300/6000)in the dark on 103rd and michigan. so many students from other schools would transfer or meet up there and fight, it was crazy. now its harder to shut the switch off on the new flyers, but its easily accessible on the novas which was the bus it happened on.

I saw Hilevitch on the TV last night, but only caught "See tomorrow's Tribune," which confirms that it was an unlocked battery disconnect door. It also mentions that the disconnect was there for the fire department, so maybe 5750 would want to comment on that.

From Trib:

Bus operators have been complaining for years about kids turning off the battery power on buses as a prank, especially on school runs," said Carlos Acevedo, an 18-year CTA mechanic and assistant to the trustees at Local 241. It requires drivers to get out of the bus and reset the switch, he said.

:

I guess the crazy stories will be in Chicago for a bit.... (Link). Thank God the Bus Operator here wasn't hurt.

I guess the surprising thing is that it was someone from Garfield Ridge who did that, and over trying to find a pack of tobacco.

5750 mentioned pulling the cherries, which reminds me of real life and movies where that was done on L cars, but unless you are in the lead car, you can't threaten the operator, but I guess anyone can threaten a bus driver, and, again, be dumb enough not to figure out that it will be caught on camera. And I guess this guy couldn't figure out pulling the cherry.

I guess the surprising thing is that it was someone from Garfield Ridge who did that, and over trying to find a pack of tobacco.

5750 mentioned pulling the cherries, which reminds me of real life and movies where that was done on L cars, but unless you are in the lead car, you can't threaten the operator, but I guess anyone can threaten a bus driver, and, again, be dumb enough not to figure out that it will be caught on camera. And I guess this guy couldn't figure out pulling the cherry.

In my case theyve been high school students pulling the cherries when I worked Belmont and Milwaukee routes. It made me so angered I wanted so bad to jump off the bus and grab the punk who would do it.

The battery disconnect compartment door CAN be locked. But this defeats a basic safety measure, if bus is in accident you need to be able to kill power. It comes down to this: If it becomes a really major problem, you lock it up and hope you don't have a situation where you need to kill power and can't.

By the way, there have been buses in the past where you needed a "key" to access the engine compartment. The "key" was the door operator handle, which was removable and was used to turn two hasps, one inside on each side of the engine compartment door.

As for kids disabling buses, this goes back to propane buses in the 1950's. Kids would turn propane valve in back and bus dies a block or less away. Trolley buses had problems with kids pulling poles. Face it - a certain percentage of kids are just basically juvenile delinquents that love to cause problems. Now when you get into an issue of robbing passengers, you have a much more serious problem. Here throwing battery cutout switch is intended to not just disable bus, but cut off communication as radio system no longer works, nor the "panic switch".

• 3 weeks later...

I am very interested in this external shut-off switch and panel on the outside of the bus. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the panel locked and only opened remotely? Couldn't a code be used or a special key? There has got to be a way to keep random people from being able to stop the bus whenever they feel like it!! This is not safe!

Would anyone be interested in talking with me privately regarding their experiences with safety on CTA's buses? and/or ways to improve the safety on CTA's buses with technology?

I am very interested in this external shut-off switch and panel on the outside of the bus. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the panel locked and only opened remotely? Couldn't a code be used or a special key? There has got to be a way to keep random people from being able to stop the bus whenever they feel like it!! This is not safe!

Would anyone be interested in talking with me privately regarding their experiences with safety on CTA's buses? and/or ways to improve the safety on CTA's buses with technology?

It is not safe being a bus driver because my friend out of Kedzie Garage tell me that a 6 month pregnant bus driver got rob at Devom/Kedzie Terminal and other driver on #18 got taser on the bus and the public did not know about it.

It is not safe being a bus driver because my friend out of Kedzie Garage tell me that a 6 month pregnant bus driver got rob at Devom/Kedzie Terminal and other driver on #18 got taser on the bus and the public did not know about it.

Could you please contact me? Would your friend be willing to speak with, anonymously if needed, about her experience?