Former Rail Line To Elevated Park

sw4400

This story from abc7chicago.com is very vague as to where this line is located, and whether it was a CTA, Metra or Freight Line. Anyone know what the line is they are talking about and the location?

The old Milwaukee Bloomingdale Line which the Blue Line O'Hare branch goes over. Originally ran from where the Milwaukee North and West Lines split to Goose Island (crossing UP N & NW just south of Clybourn). See http://www.bloomingdaletrail.org/.

So it was a former SOO Freight Line up until around 1980, then it became a abandoned line.

No. It was Milwaukee Road. Apparently, Soo was taken over by CP, as well as was Milwaukee Road freight in this area. Some Soo locomotives were on the Milwaukee North (now Metra) line

The Soo Line itself later became the Wisconsin Central, later acquired by CN, and is where the Metra North Central Service runs.

No. It was Milwaukee Road. Apparently, Soo was taken over by CP, as well as was Milwaukee Road freight in this area. Some Soo locomotives were on the Milwaukee North (now Metra) line

The Soo Line itself later became the Wisconsin Central, later acquired by CN, and is where the Metra North Central Service runs.

IIRC, the Soo got the Milwaukee when they went belly up. They later were taken over by the CP.

IIRC, the Soo got the Milwaukee when they went belly up. They later were taken over by the CP.

True. I grew up in Davenport, Iowa. The old Milwaukee line downtown was Soo Line as long as I remember (I was born in 1984). Moved to Lake Bluff in 1997, but even as of then, there were still Milwaukee orange and black diesels at the yard.

The Milwaukee and Rock Island joint-owned the Davenport, Rock Island and Northwestern (Locally known as the DRI Line), which was done away with after the Canadian Pacific got the Soo Line.

I remember the school bus driver I had in 3rd grade, was former section hand for the DRI Line, and an avid HO scale modeler. Used to get a seat right behind him to and from school and talk trains the whole trip. He even fixed a Mantua GP-20 I had at the time, that had a broken motor drive shaft.

One of the DRI locomotives is at Union nowadays.

So many fond memories of seeing Milwaukee cabooses as a very young child, though they were rare. Most often it was a Soo extended vision at the rear.

Here's a question for:

A. A avid Chicago Rail Buff

B. Someone who was in Chicago pre-1959

I currently live not too far from the Lincoln, Addison & Ravenswood intersection. The Metra overpass there has a plaque on it from 1959 with Richard J. Daley's name on it. Before this viaduct existed, was there a angled railroad crossing here similar to the Elmwood Park one at Grand Ave. and Conti Pkwy.?

Here's a question for:

I currently live not too far from the Lincoln, Addison & Ravenswood intersection. The Metra overpass there has a plaque on it from 1959 with Richard J. Daley's name on it. Before this viaduct existed, was there a angled railroad crossing here similar to the Elmwood Park one at Grand Ave. and Conti Pkwy.?

Most of the older iron viaducts date back to the 1910's, (at least the ones they want to replace) Why would they replace this one built in 1959? I would bet it had a shorter span, with supports in the street and the city wanted that eliminated. The Western/Logan Blvd viaduct is similar to the one you mention and had also been replaced. Most crossings in the city have always been viaducts, due to there high traffic locations. But areas like Elmwood Park many years ago were small towns. Alot of the area to the north of Elmwood Pk was farmland and prairie as late as the 1940's. As population grew the overall design never improved.

Here's a question for:

Lind's CSL book has a 1948 CTA track map indicating overpasses on lines intersecting streets on which CSL was operating, although not at that location, since Addison was still a CMC route at that time. In any event, this overpass must have been a replacement. A grade crossing is not indicated.

One thing I'll bet...since that whole line is supposed to be rebuilt by Metra, I doubt they will have a plaque to Emanuel.