Recent Hiring Process

newone

Its all the same stuff i have been at Chicago for five years now, But Sunday i made a good move to 103rd. Just sick of the drive to and from work.Any one is good but you have to make the job easy for yourself.

Will you be doing any of the downtown work or are you steering clear of express runs and concentrating more on 103rd's local runs in the various neighborhoods?

• 4 weeks later...

As a new part time operator what are the chances a PTO would get 32 hours? Or what is the avg. # of hours per week would a pto get.

My guess is that it would be less than 30. At Pace, they did that to keep us from having full time benefits and I have no reason to believe the CTA would do anything more.

As a new part time operator what are the chances a PTO would get 32 hours? Or what is the avg. # of hours per week would a pto get.

My guess is that it would be less than 30. At Pace, they did that to keep us from having full time benefits and I have no reason to believe the CTA would do anything more.

I'm not a driver, but my guess would be that trainman is correct.

In any event, the source would be the union contract, and since the members voted on it, it should now be available. However, it doesn't appear to have been posted on Local 241's website yet. There is a summary posted, but the only thing remotely relevant is that "weekly work schedule system-wide shall be posted at the time of any run pick and a minimum of sixty (60%) of the part-time operators with the earliest hire dates shall be allowed to select their weekly work schedule and/or the Extra Board." So, I guess it depends on what is posted.

As a part time operator when we started we they were giving us just about 80hrs every 2weeks but now since more new operators are coming in its back down to the standard 30-32 hrs a week. Rather if you were able to pick or stayed on extra board your still going to get around the same hrs a week which still isnt bad starting out. But on your off days you can do either do a trade with a full timer for extra hrs, sign in the work book, or call in during your off days or your swing if you have enough time for extras. Just hustle for them they are definitely available. But just regular part time hrs you're basically getting 30 a week.

• Upvote 2

So since more drivers are hired the numbers of hours is usually 30-32 hrs a week, plus a chance to get more if available. I was kind of worried of getting less than 30 hrs a week. Especially since part time operators hired after Jan 1, 2013-2015 will be paid 50 percent of the actual paid rate of the classification instead of 65 percent. Also, all hired in 2013 will be paid min. wage for training according to the summary of the tentative agreement.

So since more drivers are hired the numbers of hours is usually 30-32 hrs a week, plus a chance to get more if available. I was kind of worried of getting less than 30 hrs a week. Especially since part time operators hired after Jan 1, 2013-2015 will be paid 50 percent of the actual paid rate of the classification instead of 65 percent. Also, all hired in 2013 will be paid min. wage for training according to the summary of the tentative agreement.

What garage are you out of and are you permanent part time or part time temporary

What garage are you out of and are you permanent part time or part time temporary

I haven't started yet, I was suppose to start Jan 7th but got pushed back to Feb. So I don't have a garage yet, but I was thinking of picking the North Park Garage. I'm assuming that I am a permanent part time.

I haven't started yet, I was suppose to start Jan 7th but got pushed back to Feb. So I don't have a garage yet, but I was thinking of picking the North Park Garage. I'm assuming that I am a permanent part time.

Oh ok well hopefully you're not permanent but just a heads up as far as picking your garage you would like to work at, if you all have to be at the headquarters at 7:30 am for orientation try to get there like 6:30 so you can be the 1st to select what you want the earlier you're there the better chance you'll have at pickin what you want good luck to you as well :)

Oh ok well hopefully you're not permanent but just a heads up as far as picking your garage you would like to work at, if you all have to be at the headquarters at 7:30 am for orientation try to get there like 6:30 so you can be the 1st to select what you want the earlier you're there the better chance you'll have at pickin what you want good luck to you as well :)

Well I meant Im hoping I'm a part time until a full time position opens up, which I heard takes forever. I already have been notified about coming early, I will deff. be there way before 6:30. Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Well I meant Im hoping I'm a part time until a full time position opens up, which I heard takes forever. I already have been notified about coming early, I will deff. be there way before 6:30. Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

The contract summary indicates (section 11a) that first dibs on permanent are for PTOs and FTTFs who have qualified as operators and have at least one year of continuous service. While it says the purpose is to prevent hiring off the street without offering jobs to qualified PTOs and FTTFs, it doesn't indicate whether PTOs and FTTFs qualify for the jobs before they have the one year of service.

Maybe more in point is that CTA isn't obligated to fill a vacant position.

• 3 months later...

I had my interview about 4 weeks ago for the customer service assistant position. It's been 2 weeks since I've did the physical exam and a month since I did my interview. I was wondering when should I hear back from them? Should I give them a call or wait a little longer?

Best to wait it out until the end of the week, if not early next week.

• Upvote 1