Do They Look Similar

YoungBusLover

Not to me they don't, although the New Flyer 60LFR would remind me of the NABI artics, especially the D60LFR. I spotted one (4333) northbound on Jeffery (not sure if it was in service because nothing was showing on the destination sign) as I was on the northbound 71 71st/South Shore bus approaching Jeffery.

A lot of these new buses tend to look alike, sort of a homogenized appearance between builders. ...

In that all (except Gillig non-BRT) seem to have done away with the flat face, I agree. Thus, a 4300 is basically a 4000 with the steamlined face and roof shields. Of course, Nova was the first (at least with buses around here) with the protruding nose and round rectangle windows.

The box style, such as the Pace and ex-CTA NABIs is what I was getting at. The more streamlined look emerging again gives them a bit more individuality it seems.

So far as I see it, the box look, might as well call them "Box 1" Box 2" and so forth.

I also had the feeling that the Gillig Phantom and Orion V and VIs were cheap knockoffs of the Flxible 870/Metro.

The original Ikarus/NABI seemed to be a knockoff of a Neoplan. On the other hand, the MAN Americana looked different.

The CTA NABIs had a different front than the usual NABIs, in that it was a bit more streamlined and had the projector headlights. NABI also said that that was what CTA was going to get on the 1050 bus order, except that NABI didn't get that order.

Basically, the flat faced New Flyer look goes back to about 1990, and the only thing distinctive about it was that the driver's side windshield didn't slant back.

Gilligs looked different above the windshield, with the forward slanting destination board. I used to live in Concord, California. CCCTA (Contra Costa County Transit Authority, known as "The County Connection" was nearly, if not all, Gillig. Hayward, where they were built, was nearby. Mostly Gillig Phantoms, but some Low-Floors too. This was mid-2003 into 2004.

Gilligs looked different above the windshield, with the forward slanting destination board. I used to live in Concord, California. CCCTA (Contra Costa County Transit Authority, known as "The County Connection" was nearly, if not all, Gillig. Hayward, where they were built, was nearby. Mostly Gillig Phantoms, but some Low-Floors too. This was mid-2003 into 2004.

On the Phantom, they seemed more of a riveted afterthought than on an Orion V.